Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

Its really interesting to have your viewpoint and to see things from your point of view, so many thanks for the continuing commentary.

I have been looking a bit further at the idea of isolating the strength of a particular currency, and how I might go about trading it. Some of the simple crosses are really good signals, and some are not so good. Rarely however, is a signal completely wrong. That is a good sign I feel :)

I was trying to think of a way that would help verify the cross/signal. The first obvious way for me, is to consider looking at multiple timeframes. That is, for example if there is inherent weakness in a currency in the longer term, then I would be more inclined to go short (on a shorter timeframe). Or, if I went long, I would be very careful, and certainly my target would be less than the target when trading short.

Attached is a screen shot I setup for the Yen. It is setup vs EUR, USD and GBP. The three main 15M pair charts have the strengthmeter showing just those pairs, but also below it I added a 1H and 4H version of the indicator. The arrows on the chart are highlighting where a cross has taken place on the 15M indicator.

The point of this would be to look at the longer term strength/weakness and use that to determine when (if at all) to take the signal and what sort of stop/target to set.
As I talk about this I obviously have the benefit of hindsight here, but clearly on the EURJPY chart we can see that when the signal came on the 15M chart, the 1H indicator is also moving in the same direction and preparing for a cross (the 1H cross came a little after the 15M cross). Equally we look at the 4H chart and we can see that the EUR is strengthening and the Yen is weakening and again later on we also had a cross there. So at the time, it should have been a pretty good trade. Note I did actually trade this signal, although I got in a little late as I was doing the school run, it still got me close on 1% profit :D

The same sort of thing is happening on the USDJPY chart, although here we can clearly see that the USD isn't moving too much and the volatility is coming almost entirely from the Yen. The 4H indicator at the bottom is a great help here, we can see the USD strength is rising slowly (and has been for a while), so if/when the JPY weakens, it would be a good trade. Sure enough, it was a good move to trade.

The GBPJPY chart is pretty interesting I think as it has two potential signals. The 1H indicator shows us that initially this morning it was the Yen weakening significantly more than the GBP, however this afternoon the situation reversed and the GBP weakened considerably and the Yen started to stabilise a little.

Just my thoughts as I explore how I can use this...

J

hmmm....

Dow won and kept going ..........YEN and USD submitted to that pressure and fell ......Euro stepped in for more pips .....interesting !

Can you all see how this way of looking at the markets is more satisfying than shouting at a pairchart ?

N

Attachments

• view.png
    view.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 158
Jedster - very good indeed. Thank-you for the very enlightening moments you gave me and many others too, I'm sure.

hey all

ok we are approaching the 14,000's again on the Dow so buckle up......

meanwhile a nice nice day cruising on the Euro buys and YEN / USD sells

sure the GBP got real short......but I had nothing correlation wise to support chasing it ....

later
N

Attachments

• euro buys.jpg
    euro buys.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 135
Its really interesting to have your viewpoint and to see things from your point of view, so many thanks for the continuing commentary.

I have been looking a bit further at the idea of isolating the strength of a particular currency, and how I might go about trading it. Some of the simple crosses are really good signals, and some are not so good. Rarely however, is a signal completely wrong. That is a good sign I feel :)

I was trying to think of a way that would help verify the cross/signal. The first obvious way for me, is to consider looking at multiple timeframes. That is, for example if there is inherent weakness in a currency in the longer term, then I would be more inclined to go short (on a shorter timeframe). Or, if I went long, I would be very careful, and certainly my target would be less than the target when trading short.

Attached is a screen shot I setup for the Yen. It is setup vs EUR, USD and GBP. The three main 15M pair charts have the strengthmeter showing just those pairs, but also below it I added a 1H and 4H version of the indicator. The arrows on the chart are highlighting where a cross has taken place on the 15M indicator.

The point of this would be to look at the longer term strength/weakness and use that to determine when (if at all) to take the signal and what sort of stop/target to set.
As I talk about this I obviously have the benefit of hindsight here, but clearly on the EURJPY chart we can see that when the signal came on the 15M chart, the 1H indicator is also moving in the same direction and preparing for a cross (the 1H cross came a little after the 15M cross). Equally we look at the 4H chart and we can see that the EUR is strengthening and the Yen is weakening and again later on we also had a cross there. So at the time, it should have been a pretty good trade. Note I did actually trade this signal, although I got in a little late as I was doing the school run, it still got me close on 1% profit :D

The same sort of thing is happening on the USDJPY chart, although here we can clearly see that the USD isn't moving too much and the volatility is coming almost entirely from the Yen. The 4H indicator at the bottom is a great help here, we can see the USD strength is rising slowly (and has been for a while), so if/when the JPY weakens, it would be a good trade. Sure enough, it was a good move to trade.

The GBPJPY chart is pretty interesting I think as it has two potential signals. The 1H indicator shows us that initially this morning it was the Yen weakening significantly more than the GBP, however this afternoon the situation reversed and the GBP weakened considerably and the Yen started to stabilise a little.

Just my thoughts as I explore how I can use this...

J

hey Jedster.........excellent analysis (y)

if you trawl back on this thread I use to talk about actually 3 timeframe trading

4h,1h and 15m .so we are on the same path my friend

in all of my own personal bespoke systems i follow individual currency strengths and yes I can use multiple timeframes as well .....

as you say Strengthmeter trading options and the potential is limitless.....and that can be the problem sometimes ....believe me ! ;).....ive been here for many a year ....i eat sleep and dream the lines in my head.......:cool:

thats why I keep it very simple here for all the newbies ....(y)

once the seed is planted its like a lightening strike isnt it......you wonder why people use normal paircharts so much...........its like they are still watching a small TV in black and while whilst we have the 60" 3D screen !!

N

hey Jedster.........excellent analysis (y)

if you trawl back on this thread I use to talk about actually 3 timeframe trading

4h,1h and 15m .so we are on the same path my friend

in all of my own personal bespoke systems i follow individual currency strengths and yes I can use multiple timeframes as well .....

as you say Strengthmeter trading options and the potential is limitless.....and that can be the problem sometimes ....believe me ! ;).....ive been here for many a year ....i eat sleep and dream the lines in my head.......:cool:

thats why I keep it very simple here for all the newbies ....(y)

once the seed is planted its like a lightening strike isnt it......you wonder why people use normal paircharts so much...........its like they are still watching a small TV in black and while whilst we have the 60" 3D screen !!

N

People always forget about the relationships in forex, but all the currencies are intricately linked. If a currency pair is falling, lets say AUDUSD as an example, it is not just a chart moving, but there are real economic and financial executions taking place that are driving the change.

Having a tool that allows you to see where the real strength and weakness is, really helps make trading decisions.

mornin all ........

heres the Nikkei..........the new regime have connected the worlds biggest jumpstart system to the Economy ....and they mean business....how the world now responds will indeed be interesting..........and profitable for us as traders

clue - if the Yen was able to climb so must 5 years ago it is perfectly capable of doing the opposite now (?) ..especially if nothing else runs with it ....:smart:

N

Attachments

• nikkei roars.jpg
    nikkei roars.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 121
busy busy today.......will try to drop in much later tonight.......

later all
N

People always forget about the relationships in forex, but all the currencies are intricately linked. If a currency pair is falling, lets say AUDUSD as an example, it is not just a chart moving, but there are real economic and financial executions taking place that are driving the change.

Having a tool that allows you to see where the real strength and weakness is, really helps make trading decisions.

amen to that brother......oh yeah......oh yeah (y)

I didn't find it, I just changed the original indicator. I'm happy to post the changes as long as you are ok with that, after all, it is your indicator?

Hey J

If you look though this thread I have at times identified the origins of Strengthmeters and indeed my FXcorrelator.......

TRO and FerruFX had developed their own versions from the originally featured articles at the Metatrader website (cluster trading) and I tweaked it a little from there.....no copyright or patent issues etc etc

please feel free to do what you want and publish here if you want to ..............I am always trying to expand the usage of strengthmeters in trading and certainly not limit them (y)

Strengthmeters are like a good set of golf clubs.....they help .....but its the experience and ability of the Player who uses them that really makes the difference !

N

Hey J

If you look though this thread I have at times identified the origins of Strengthmeters and indeed my FXcorrelator.......

TRO and FerruFX had developed their own versions from the originally featured articles at the Metatrader website (cluster trading) and I tweaked it a little from there.....no copyright or patent issues etc etc

please feel free to do what you want and publish here if you want to ..............I am always trying to expand the usage of strengthmeters in trading and certainly not limit them (y)

Ok, thanks for the confirmation. Actually, I was going to talk about that article on cluster indexes as I could see it was related to this (your) one. I find that article a little difficult to read as it is converted russian, but I was going to spend some time to get to grips with exactly what he was saying. After all, another thought occurs that, if you have two different measurements of strength, when both align might be a good time to enter the trade.

Strengthmeters are like a good set of golf clubs.....they help .....but its the experience and ability of the Player who uses them that really makes the difference !

I like that, that is a really good analogy :)

Thanks
J

ok, attached is the MTF version. It only has a few changes.
Add a new input/option:

extern int TimeFrame = 0;

In the loop and a line to get the correct bar from the other timeframe:

int pivot_bar = iBarShift( NULL, TimeFrame, Time);

and then change the MA to use that timeframe and shift:

A1=(iMA("EURUSD"+SymbolSuffix,TimeFrame,PerAvr,0,MODE_LWMA,PRICE_CLOSE,pivot_bar)-iMA("EURUSD"+SymbolSuffix,TimeFrame,PerAvr,0,MODE_LWMA,PRICE_CLOSE,pivot_bar+Delta))/1;

The TimeFrame default is 0 so that it just works normally on the current timeframe.

Note, one caveat is that as the price is always changing, the "live" version will be different from the 'historic' version. If you look at the attached image, the bottom 2 indicators are both using the 4H timeframe. The first (top one) was added yesterday, and the bottom one was just added a few seconds ago. As you can see, the bottom chart looks different because the 4H prices are fixed. The one above it was drawn with the "live" prices, which of course were fluctuating all the time. With that in mind, it works just fine.

Regards

J

Attachments

• 4H.png
    4H.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 167
  • FXCorrelatorMTF.mq4
    6.9 KB · Views: 220
Ok, thanks for the confirmation. Actually, I was going to talk about that article on cluster indexes as I could see it was related to this (your) one. I find that article a little difficult to read as it is converted russian, but I was going to spend some time to get to grips with exactly what he was saying. After all, another thought occurs that, if you have two different measurements of strength, when both align might be a good time to enter the trade.

Thanks
J

yep .............like any trading system....trade if you have confluence in favoured signals

N

ok, attached is the MTF version. It only has a few changes.
Add a new input/option:

extern int TimeFrame = 0;

In the loop and a line to get the correct bar from the other timeframe:

int pivot_bar = iBarShift( NULL, TimeFrame, Time);

and then change the MA to use that timeframe and shift:

A1=(iMA("EURUSD"+SymbolSuffix,TimeFrame,PerAvr,0,MODE_LWMA,PRICE_CLOSE,pivot_bar)-iMA("EURUSD"+SymbolSuffix,TimeFrame,PerAvr,0,MODE_LWMA,PRICE_CLOSE,pivot_bar+Delta))/1;

The TimeFrame default is 0 so that it just works normally on the current timeframe.

Note, one caveat is that as the price is always changing, the "live" version will be different from the 'historic' version. If you look at the attached image, the bottom 2 indicators are both using the 4H timeframe. The first (top one) was added yesterday, and the bottom one was just added a few seconds ago. As you can see, the bottom chart looks different because the 4H prices are fixed. The one above it was drawn with the "live" prices, which of course were fluctuating all the time. With that in mind, it works just fine.

Regards

J

looks good .......remind me again J........is this coding

1) to get the Broker pair suffix recognising the indicator
2) allowing multiple timeframe analysis on 1 chart

or am I missing something else :eek:

nice one on 2) ...........In my own systems I hard coded in the timeframes per indicator ...nice !

N

we may talk in future dude........if you can program boy do I need some help ......I lost faith in commercial Programmers years ago

N

looks good .......remind me again J........is this coding

1) to get the Broker pair suffix recognising the indicator
2) allowing multiple timeframe analysis on 1 chart

or am I missing something else :eek:

nice one on 2) ...........In my own systems I hard coded in the timeframes per indicator ...nice !

N

Hi,

This is just doing number 2, the multi timeframe bit. I separated out that change and only posted the multi time frame bit. I'll post a version later today that does the pairs aswell...

J

ok, attached is my "pairs" indicator.
Note this has several changes so I guess you can pick and choose what you want and delete the others.
It has the MTF added.
If you add it to the dow, or any non currency chart, then it is perfectly normal, however if you add to a currency chart, then it will only show the currencies from that chart.
When on a currency chart, there are three options to highlight a cross:

extern bool ShowCross = true;
extern bool EmailCross = true;
extern bool AlertCross = true;

Obviously setting these to true or false controls how it alerts you that there has been a cross on the indicator.

There is also a filter:

extern bool DirectionFilter = false;

When setting this to true, it requires that the cross takes place with one currency getting weaker and the other getting stronger. That is, say there is a cross between ccy1 and ccy2, and they were both weakening, but ccy1 was weakening more than ccy2. This option filters those out. Does that make sense?

If you have any questions, let me know.

Attachments

• FXCORRELATOR_8020.mq4
    15.3 KB · Views: 185
Hi,

This is just doing number 2, the multi timeframe bit. I separated out that change and only posted the multi time frame bit. I'll post a version later today that does the pairs aswell...

J

I familiar with loading indicators into my criminal's system in this case OANDA and
placing them on the right chart. Howeve, I can detect absolutely no difference between NVP's FXCorrelator 20-1 and your version - which means I must have overlooked something blindingly obvious. Or the perverse MT4 is being tedious as usual?
Very grateful for your comment or assistance.
Regards,
Hamish.