Contact IB via telephone

clylbw

Move stops & Contact IB via telephone?

I trade the US markets in an account with IB UK. If there were an emergency and I needed to close a position immediately via telephone, presumably I should contact IB's customer service for Europe, i.e. 41-41-726-9500?

However, that line is available only between 07:00 and 19:00 GMT. If I needed to call in the evening, e.g. 20:00 GMT, where should I contact to in emergency to close my position? The US, i.e. 1-312-542-6901?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Lynn,

I would always use the US number as it is better set up for this requirement. Once connected you need to select option 2 then 1 to get to the trading desk but dont wait to be told of the options just select them as soon as you get connected.

Paul

How to move stops???

I am afraid there is another issue: how to move stops at TWS?

Suppose I am holding a long position in a stock at the moment. The original order was a stop-limit one, so a stop is already in place. The price has moved up and I wish to move up the stop accordingly. How may I do so? Thanks indeed.

Click in the box that shows the stop level and type in your new level then transmit the order again. If it's a stop limit you'll probably want to do the same to the limit level. To make this limit adjustment automatic go to the Configure >> Order menu and tick the Auto-Adjust stop-lmt price box. Whatever you move the stop by, the limit will be moved by too.

Thanks Fran; but where is 'the box that shows the stop level'? :eek: :eek: :eek:

A document with an image of my TWS is attached. Really sorry for my ignorance.

Attachments

• TWS.doc
    133 KB · Views: 499
Cly,

The red arrow marks the box I meant (the same one used to set the initial stop level) but perhaps you enter orders in a different way and they do not appear on the main screen?

If you use the rapid order entry bar at the top then you can type the name of the stock on the main screen, where YM is, for instance (in the Underlying column), and then the rapid entry order will appear next to it once you've clicked buy or sell. Then it can be adjusted from there. I'm afraid I always enter orders from the main screen (by clicking on the bid or ask price of the instrument) so I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 447
Hi Fran,

I have finally found the box :eek: :eek: :eek: ; thanks indeed.

One more question I am afraid :eek: :eek: :eek: . After keying in the new stop level, should I transmit the new order as a SELL, as shown in your image? I assume transmitting a BUY with the new stop would simply increase my position instead of modifying the stop?

Any thank you so much. :)