Interactive Brokers FX horror fill 1.26% slippage on stop...

Vaco

2,134 269
i've had no problem with them, slippage works both ways so i sometimes end up with positive slippage as well, platform is nice and easy to navigate and the charting package is decent with a growing custom indicator catalog. You have the option to use mt4 with them as well although I can't say how well that works.

DaManJ

20 0
i've had no problem with them, slippage works both ways so i sometimes end up with positive slippage as well, platform is nice and easy to navigate and the charting package is decent with a growing custom indicator catalog. You have the option to use mt4 with them as well although I can't say how well that works.

hmm maybe i should give them a try. I do really like meta trader. fantastic charting platform. i use the fxcm demo account currently to do all my charting.

Vaco

2,134 269
hmm maybe i should give them a try. I do really like meta trader. fantastic charting platform. i use the fxcm demo account currently to do all my charting.

if u think meta charting is great why are you using fxcm demo for charts??

barjon

Legendary member
10,705 1,809

anley

2,730 229
So this angry speculative newbie sucker was just trying to get some information as to why he just got over 100 points slippage, as aside from a meteorite striking manhattan you aint gonna get that slippage when the market is trading.

Yes you are. There are countless examples over the last 10 years where 100 points of slippage was SMALL.

A good example is last night with the intervention. Do you think the market printed at every tick on the way up or do you think they marked prices straight up without anything trading in between. Of course it was the latter.

Anyway, 100 ticks on the Yen in the current circumstances is not that much, it could have been 300 or 400 easily.

DaManJ

20 0
DaManJ, have you think of file complaint or legal action for this? They did not clearly identify there will be 15 minutes downtime everyday (Sunday to Friday).

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/e...hp?exch=ibfxpro&showcategories=&ib_entity=llc

yeah, unfortunately it is on their web site, in fact i've been accross that page before but missed that.
It's called selective reading - things which don't make sense to your brain just don't go in!
I know FX to be a 24 hr market so how could it possibly not be ;)

Maybe they should put that in red caps, with a disclaimer of substantial risk of loss. But that wouldn't be great for marketing.

DaManJ

20 0
it could have been 300 or 400 easily.

That i would like to see. Can you prove this with real examples of people who have experienced 300-400 points slippage on a stop loss order whilst the market is open?
You do realise you are suggesting a currency can fall >4% without trading anywhere in-between.
FX is the most liquid market in the world with >2 trillion in turnover per day. It takes a big stock exchange an entire month to process that volume. The US and Japan are the 1st and 3rd largest economies in the world and you make it sound like their currencies should be trading like penny stock?
I would like to know more about your "countless examples" of this type of slippage - did you perchance experience this whilst trading with a reputable broker?

anley

2,730 229
That i would like to see. Can you prove this with real examples of people who have experienced 300-400 points slippage on a stop loss order whilst the market is open?
You do realise you are suggesting a currency can fall >4% without trading anywhere in-between.
FX is the most liquid market in the world with >2 trillion in turnover per day. It takes a big stock exchange an entire month to process that volume. The US and Japan are the 1st and 3rd largest economies in the world and you make it sound like their currencies should be trading like penny stock?
I would like to know more about your "countless examples" of this type of slippage - did you perchance experience this whilst trading with a reputable broker?

Hang around a few years and you'll see it all.

So what if FX markets are trillion $, they WILL and CAN jump 3%+ with nothing in between apart from the resting orders which will be filled in milleseconds. It doesn't happen that often and it takes one hell of a news event but it does happen.

I remember trading Bonds back around 2002 when Greenspan cut rates unexpectedly, Bonds were marked up 1.5 points in about 1 second and that was a major major markup. Wonder where stops were filled on that one - how about with a minimum of 32 ticks for starters whereas usually bond stops are filled at the level or a tick maximum (unless over news).

I also don't trade with bucket shops so business is either done on the exchanges or via a reputable broker such as IB who are excellent for FX and many here will agree.

You got stopped with 100 tick slippage because of a major event, one which in the short term threatened the whole of Japan and you think there's something wrong. Believe me, everything that happened to you was 100% natural in the circumstances.

DashRiprock

Experienced member
1,650 482
even sooner than that when FOMC statement said that they would do QE at longer dated bonds made a gap of at least 1 handle (so 64 ticks).

counter_violent

Legendary member
11,266 3,005
The reason you will get no sympathy from seasoned posters is quite simple to understand. They have seen it all before and as such this would seem to be your first experience of it.

So here's what you need to do. Enjoy:LOL:

anley

2,730 229
Assume you're making a market in USD-CHF and there's a small nuclear bomb that goes off right outside the Whitehouse when Obama is giving a speech (outside).

You're quoting 0.9200 - 0.9201 right before the event. The news hits the wire so what do you do? If you've got any sense the next and I mean THE next quote you give is 0.8800 offered with nothing in between, then you take it from there and will probably be 0.8700 offered in the next second. The market then over the coming hours will probably be 100 tick bid-offer spread, get that 100 ticks bid-offer, not the usual 1 but 100 times larger.

Oh, but that can't happen, FX is a trillion billion business and it dwarfs all the other markets put together. True, but strange times call for strange price quotes hence the 100 tick bid-offer and even then I wouldn't be surprised if it goes to 200 ticks wide.

But this is FX you scream, it can't happen..........

Reactions: arabianights

DaManJ

20 0
You got stopped with 100 tick slippage because of a major event

no, i got over 100 points slippage because IB closed up shop for 15 minutes whilst the rest of the market was open and trading away from the stop.

I would not post on this forum if it was related to a bad trading decision. I have made/lost, 10's of Ks due to good/bad trading decisions. $1300 is not significant and is less than 1% of what i earn in my day job. So those who have posted to the effect that I traded more than i can handle, and am just complaining about a losing trade are jumping to conclusions. But that is what forums are good for so keep them coming.

DaManJ

20 0
Assume you're making a market in USD-CHF and there's a small nuclear bomb that goes off right outside the Whitehouse when Obama is giving a speech (outside).

The extent you are going to justify your statement of 4% gap on a major currency pair is inconsitent with your statement that these things happen 'all the time'.

The next time a nuclear bomb goes off at the white house i won't be here posting on this forum, i'll be down at the local bank branch withdrawing all my savings, and then flying to a small island to try to escape the global nuclear war that will ensue.

If this is an everyday thing for you i guess you're watching a lot of terrorist traing videos.
I think there are enough key words in this thread now for the DHS to come knocking on your door :p

Last edited:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock