Interactive Brokers FX horror fill 1.26% slippage on stop...

even sooner than that when FOMC statement said that they would do QE at longer dated bonds made a gap of at least 1 handle (so 64 ticks).

The reason you will get no sympathy from seasoned posters is quite simple to understand. They have seen it all before and as such this would seem to be your first experience of it.

So here's what you need to do. Enjoy:LOL:

Assume you're making a market in USD-CHF and there's a small nuclear bomb that goes off right outside the Whitehouse when Obama is giving a speech (outside).

You're quoting 0.9200 - 0.9201 right before the event. The news hits the wire so what do you do? If you've got any sense the next and I mean THE next quote you give is 0.8800 offered with nothing in between, then you take it from there and will probably be 0.8700 offered in the next second. The market then over the coming hours will probably be 100 tick bid-offer spread, get that 100 ticks bid-offer, not the usual 1 but 100 times larger.

Oh, but that can't happen, FX is a trillion billion business and it dwarfs all the other markets put together. True, but strange times call for strange price quotes hence the 100 tick bid-offer and even then I wouldn't be surprised if it goes to 200 ticks wide.

But this is FX you scream, it can't happen..........

You got stopped with 100 tick slippage because of a major event

no, i got over 100 points slippage because IB closed up shop for 15 minutes whilst the rest of the market was open and trading away from the stop.

I would not post on this forum if it was related to a bad trading decision. I have made/lost, 10's of Ks due to good/bad trading decisions. $1300 is not significant and is less than 1% of what i earn in my day job. So those who have posted to the effect that I traded more than i can handle, and am just complaining about a losing trade are jumping to conclusions. But that is what forums are good for so keep them coming.

Assume you're making a market in USD-CHF and there's a small nuclear bomb that goes off right outside the Whitehouse when Obama is giving a speech (outside).

The extent you are going to justify your statement of 4% gap on a major currency pair is inconsitent with your statement that these things happen 'all the time'.

The next time a nuclear bomb goes off at the white house i won't be here posting on this forum, i'll be down at the local bank branch withdrawing all my savings, and then flying to a small island to try to escape the global nuclear war that will ensue.

If this is an everyday thing for you i guess you're watching a lot of terrorist traing videos.
I think there are enough key words in this thread now for the DHS to come knocking on your door :p

Last edited:
Except, of course, you won't have any money left to withdraw with this approach!

Ah thats right because i keep all my money with my broker like every sensible trader does -> why be poor when i can risk it all leveraged 400:1 !!
with that return i could retire nice and comfortable right? and why not, the downside is capped at bankruptcy, and i can keep re-trying as many times as i want. now why didn't i think of that before... i can be a NINJAD, no income, jobs assets or dependents, so lets have the state sponsor me to become a millionaire. sweet.

that's the beauty of limited liability ;)

well, to be honest i have in fact thought of that before.
And i don't understand why every colleague grad doesn't try it. Just think about it, you can risk 1 yr salary and earn it 400 times over. or, you can lose 1 yr salary, and just keep retrying once you get more capital to try again.
Or, you can get married, have kids and become a slave :) Its a NINJAD's life.

I'm sure even a novice trader has the ability to wait for the all stars to align in a golden setup, and then put all money down. Even if you've only got 20% success rate, it will only take you 5 years max to win. Or you can work 9-5 for the rest of your life ;)

The extent you are going to justify your statement of 4% gap on a major currency pair is inconsitent with your statement that these things happen 'all the time'.

But events like this do happen all the time ! This time it happened to you and countless others...in fact, the more extreme the event and the more people get caught up in it. Try reading Taleb.
The next time a nuclear bomb goes off at the white house i won't be here posting on this forum, i'll be down at the local bank branch withdrawing all my savings, and then flying to a small island to try to escape the global nuclear war that will ensue.

You and 40,000 others. Seriously, if you think it's possible to get money out of a bank in times of need then i'm afraid your deluded.

If this is an everyday thing for you i guess you're watching a lot of terrorist traing videos.
I think there are enough key words in this thread now for the DHS to come knocking on your door :p

These things happen all the time is true. But then all the time doesn't mean the last few months, it means over many years.

3% moves with nothing trading in between are of course not that common but then a market like EUR-USD can easily jump 50 (or be marked down) 50 ticks with nothing trading in between. That probably happens at least half a dozen times a year on the back of figures or other unexpected news.

anyway DanManJ, the moral of the story is that you should do your homework on where, how, who and when orders made on your behalf are working, executed or filled.

and stop complaining about it.

anyway DanManJ, the moral of the story is that you should do your homework on where, how, who and when orders made on your behalf are working, executed or filled.

Yes, we're all being a little bit cruel to be kind here so learn from it - if you do then it will make you a better trader. Good luck.

thankyou for your moral take on the situation. not only are you now my role model for how to 'man up', but clearly you have gems of wisdom on how to get the most morality out of a situation as well. So i entirely agree with you that customers should be held responsible for a companies trade practices, or not reading the fine print in say a subprime mortgage contract. In fact, i completely agree with you that tax payers should be responsible for bailing out these suckers when it occurs on a large scale. I particularly agree that your own health insurance will leave you penniless after you get taken for a ride on some fine print you failed to notice. This is how the world should be! I know it now because its moral! The weak and ignorant should be crushed until their dna is no more and is eliminated from the airian gene pool of lawyers and bankers who hold the truth!