Climate Change

Are the Australian bush fires really caused by climate change or something more mundane? Enjoy . . .

Are the Australian bush fires really caused by climate change or something more mundane? Enjoy . . .

Good report Tim, thanks for this I occasionally watch this commentator but I hadn't seen this clip.

What else it does proves is several things I have been saying. Firstly, that the media don't seek to inform, their job is to attract. And in this aim, lefty liberal celebs are in league with the media, its good air-time for both of them.

It also demonstrates that the media don't carry scientific research - so they haven't been able to report any scientific research to link the fires with climate change. And you have to just think they would love to if they could as it feeds their "story". So my assumption is there is no evidence to link the fires with climate change.

I had heard several affected property owners on the media saying to reporters that bush management in Australia had been taking out of their hands and hat was why their properties were now in the fire zone. I do wonder if some at least of the bushfire arsonists might have been trying to resurrect controlled burning as a policy for the long-term good of their local communities - using the fire season as a smoke-screen if that's not too crass a phrase.

PS. I still have a soft spot for Jennifer Aniston, but I can't accept her opinion on any scientific issue not sponsored by L'Oreal.

The harder they virtue signal, the more it could be anything but climate change. Fire Jihad has been around a long time.

The harder they virtue signal, the more it could be anything but climate change. Fire Jihad has been around a long time.

Virtue signalling is just the most hateful and insidious social behaviour. A kind of mass bullying. And so many of these idiots think that if we all do our bit it will make a difference. No it won't.

Except its a useful voluntary "marker" - its another sort of signal, the one that says, "Look at me, I'm a gullible idiot who thinks we are such gullible idiots that they can attain social respect by telling us they buy vegetarian dog food". Its helpful to have these people single themselves out.

Virtue signalling is just the most hateful and insidious social behaviour. A kind of mass bullying. And so many of these idiots think that if we all do our bit it will make a difference. No it won't.

Except its a useful voluntary "marker" - its another sort of signal, the one that says, "Look at me, I'm a gullible idiot who thinks we are such gullible idiots that they can attain social respect by telling us they buy vegetarian dog food". Its helpful to have these people single themselves out.

I see the virtue signalling royals have private jetted back from their 6 week Xmas holidays in the sun - way to go, saving the planet one island paradise at a time.

I see the virtue signalling royals have private jetted back from their 6 week Xmas holidays in the sun - way to go, saving the planet one island paradise at a time.

But............... this wasn't virtue signalling. Or is that your point?

But............... this wasn't virtue signalling. Or is that your point?

Kind of my point, the act of flying back on private jets is not virtue signalling per se, nor is holidaying for 6 weeks halfway around the planet, the fact that they already have proved their virtue signalling credentials by telling us to reduce our carbon footprints then promptly taking multiple private jets when they were holidaying (again) in the middle of last year and continue to do so, is.

But they offset all that climate destruction of course by donating money to 'green' investments thereby somehow negating the CO2 they produce whilst simultaneously keeping fund managers happy, it all makes sense, NOT!

And that matters if you believe that CO2 is the cause of climate change, which of course is what millions do believe (if you believe what MSM tells us).

. . .PS. I still have a soft spot for Jennifer Aniston, but I can't accept her opinion on any scientific issue not sponsored by L'Oreal.
Lol Tom! :ROFLMAO:
Just in case you've missed it - have a listen to Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globe awards the other day. It's good to hear a big name celebrity telling it how it is once in a while - although I suspect it was water off a duck's back as far as most of the audience was concerned - certainly so in Ms. Aniston's case. Enjoy . . .

Last edited:
Kind of my point, the act of flying back on private jets is not virtue signalling per se, nor is holidaying for 6 weeks halfway around the planet, the fact that they already have proved their virtue signalling credentials by telling us to reduce our carbon footprints then promptly taking multiple private jets when they were holidaying (again) in the middle of last year and continue to do so, is.
No it isn't.

As always, Sig - for you know that I adore you - it is with the greatest respet and deepest affection that I must point out that you're barking up the wrong end of the stick without a paddle. This has absolootly Far Call to do with "virtues" - perceived, signalled or merely invented - and is simply Hypocrisy.

The truly virtuous have little need to signal anything very much as they know that their deeds are more important than their words.

....and don't get me started on the Meek.....

No it isn't.

As always, Sig - for you know that I adore you - it is with the greatest respet and deepest affection that I must point out that you're barking up the wrong end of the stick without a paddle. This has absolootly Far Call to do with "virtues" - perceived, signalled or merely invented - and is simply Hypocrisy.

The truly virtuous have little need to signal anything very much as they know that their deeds are more important than their words.

....and don't get me started on the Meek.....

May I direct my learned friend to 12 examples of virtue signalling, of which hypocrisy is but one example. In modern parlance the invention of the term 'virtue signalling' is used as a negative connotation, which, while related to the original defintion of virtue, is not quite the same thing.

May I direct my learned friend to 12 examples of virtue signalling, of which hypocrisy is but one example. In modern parlance the invention of the term 'virtue signalling' is used as a negative connotation, which, while related to the original defintion of virtue, is not quite the same thing.

"Learnéd" AND "friend" in the same sentence! I'm still swooning...

I'll grudgingly give you this one but solely on the basis of what I consider to be the unnecessary, inaccurate and somewhat incoherent reinvention set out in your above example.

I would say that whilst the newspeak term includes hypocrisy we've managed to do quite well for a couple of thousand years in expressing these ideas without recourse to spurious neologismses.

"Learnéd" AND "friend" in the same sentence! I'm still swooning...

I'll grudgingly give you this one but solely on the basis of what I consider to be the unnecessary, inaccurate and somewhat incoherent reinvention set out in your above example.

I would say that whilst the newspeak term includes hypocrisy we've managed to do quite well for a couple of thousand years in expressing these ideas without recourse to spurious neologismses.

I shall take your kindness in the spirit that it is intended and I hope you have had a pleasant and assuasive Xmas & NY, as have I :D

I take your point about it being a spurious neologism, in modern locution isn't that how we introduce new words and meanings into the English language? An evolving language has no limits as to its intent. With no end point, surely one can introduce neologisms which can be used and abused as one wishes until it is accepted into the mainstream where the definition can reach a firm foundation and understanding, language scholars may still disagree on the absolute meaning, however the accepted meaning should be well understood by then?

As 'Virtue Signalling' is a neologism, my understanding of the word is mostly based on hypocrisy, so I agree with your thoughts, even though it may have slightly different connotations depending on the context. However, I cannot be held responsible for your antipathy towards this coinage.

Happy to discuss further as I am no longer poring over competition spreadsheets and I have therefore liberated some much-needed time to devote to other 'stuff' [and nonsense] :LOL:

. . . Happy to discuss further as I am no longer poring over competition spreadsheets and I have therefore liberated some much-needed time to devote to other 'stuff' [and nonsense] :LOL:
Sig',
If you have some spare time on your hands you can come and help me erect my garden fence. 450 slats, each at 3.6 mtrs with 10 screws a piece.
:p

This is an appendage to the Ricky Gervais video I posted earlier, so not really about climate change - although it does get a brief mention at the end. Tom Walker is consistently good IMO; a really clever satirist. Enjoy . . .

Sig',
If you have some spare time on your hands you can come and help me erect my garden fence. 450 slats, each at 3.6 mtrs with 10 screws a piece.
:p

Absolutely, guarantee good weather, pay my travel costs and my hourly rate and I'll be there in a flash, anything to help out fellow T2W'ers :ROFLMAO:(y)

450 slats @ 3.6m each, that is a massive garden, are you starting a farm!?

Absolutely, guarantee good weather, pay my travel costs and my hourly rate and I'll be there in a flash, anything to help out fellow T2W'ers :ROFLMAO:(y)

450 slats @ 3.6m each, that is a massive garden, are you starting a farm!?

Hmm. Totally confused by Tim's description, but on that basis i'd have to quote 50k labour charge, no materials supplied. :ROFLMAO:

On the other hand if I was making an educated guess....i'd say a slat is 4" wide x 450 off = 150 ft max of fencing required.

Last edited: