Climate Change

Pat494

Legendary member
Glad to see the world's top politicians are meeting in Paris to try and stop global warming before it spirals out of control.

China is the worst polluter. Their President has understood the problem but warned that it will get worse. Well that's great. Perhaps they should consider hydro electric power from all those wet mountains ?

Apparently a barrage across the Severn estuary would power up 1/3 0f this country for ever. Not hard to work out what 3 barrages would accomplish then.

They could be interested in pollution too while they are about it.

I saw a programme on the telly once about how they lit the shop by people walking about on a special surface inside the shop. I was wondering how much power they could generate by having these devices embedded into the M25 ring road ?

Glad to see the world's top politicians are meeting in Paris to try and stop global warming before it spirals out of control.

China is the worst polluter. Their President has understood the problem but warned that it will get worse. Well that's great. Perhaps they should consider hydro electric power from all those wet mountains ?

Apparently a barrage across the Severn estuary would power up 1/3 0f this country for ever. Not hard to work out what 3 barrages would accomplish then.

How much of the Chinese pollution is actually made in order to manufacture consumer products for the western markets?
(the west off-loading its needs to poor-paying developing countries, and off-shoring the pollution to other places)
And how much just to improve standards for the Chinese themselves?

Anyway, we cant have fridges, flat-TVs and 2 cars each, and then pull the ladder up behind us and say to everyone else they cant have their share.
Or, can we?

I am investing in AirWick candles.

How much of the Chinese pollution is actually made in order to manufacture consumer products for the western markets?
(the west off-loading its needs to poor-paying developing countries, and off-shoring the pollution to other places)
And how much just to improve standards for the Chinese themselves?

Anyway, we cant have fridges, flat-TVs and 2 cars each, and then pull the ladder up behind us and say to everyone else they cant have their share.
Or, can we?

I am investing in AirWick candles.

Electric or hydrogen vehicles only in the big Chinese cities would clear the smog in days. There is always bicycles while changing.
Building loads more coal power stations doesn't sound like a good idea.

Electric or hydrogen vehicles only in the big Chinese cities would clear the smog in days. There is always bicycles while changing.

True enough.

How easy is it offer these solutions to peoples/societies over the horizon?

The same could be said of the UK, re: bicycles, and electric vehicles.
We cant even persuade our own citizens to do these things, without offering massive incentives.
We need to lead by example.
Pity some major wave-power developers aren't getting the seed investment to take to full-scale manufacture here in the UK.
There are some innovative designs gathering dust for lack of investment.

It is interesting that you mention hydrogen power. Orange County has a few hydrogen filling stations. We also have the BMW hydrogen Hydrogen 7, Honda FCX Clarity, Mercedes B Class F Cell...

The UK just got there first H2 filling station. Talk about behind the curve.

Macedonia storm: At least 15 die overnight in freak deluge

_90701784_overturnedcar.jpg

The Mayor of Skopje, Kove Trajanovski, said: "This is a disaster. We have never experienced such a thing."

Heat wave engulfs most part of China

The victims in Macedonia rose to 20, as far as I know. Those poor people, this is a terrible tragedy.

If they spent more on cleaning up the planet and less on bombs, we would all benefit.

World population needs a bit of a culling one way or another. Too much greed and not enough love.

The Reverend Thomas Robert Malthus FRS (13 February 1766 – 29 December 1834)[1] was an English cleric and scholar, influential in the fields of political economy and demography.[2] Malthus himself used only his middle name Robert.[3]
In his book An Essay on the Principle of Population, Malthus observed that sooner or later, population growth is checked by famine and disease, leading to what is known as a Malthusian catastrophe. He wrote in opposition to the popular view in 18th-century Europe that saw society as improving and in principle as perfectible.[4] He thought that the dangers of population growth precluded progress towards a utopian society: "The power of population is indefinitely greater than the power in the earth to produce subsistence for man".[5] As an Anglican cleric, Malthus saw this situation as divinely imposed to teach virtuous behaviour.[6] Malthus wrote:

That the increase of population is necessarily limited by the means of subsistence,
That population does invariably increase when the means of subsistence increase, and,
That the superior power of population is repressed by moral restraint, vice and misery.
[7]

Malthus placed the longer-term stability of the economy above short-term expediency. He criticized the Poor Laws,[8] and (alone among important contemporary economists) supported the Corn Laws, which introduced a system of taxes on British imports of wheat.[9] His views became influential, and controversial, across economic, political, social and scientific thought. Pioneers of evolutionary biology read him, notably Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace.[10][11] He remains a much-debated writer.

Found this out about traffic accidents in India and sort of shakes ones belief in humanity and evolution of life.

Trump on Paris accord: 'We're getting out'

Musk Makes Good on Pledge to Dump Trump Over Paris

Donald Trump is a smart dude. Chinese conspiracy has been shown up to be just that, an effort to trip America up and stop them being competitive by unnecessary taxes on industry. ;)

But he was withering in his criticism of the pact, which he cast as a humiliating defeat for American workers that unfairly advantaged foreign countries.

"At what point does America get demeaned? At what point do they start laughing at us as a country?" Trump inquired during an afternoon event held in a sun-drenched Rose Garden.

"We want fair treatment," Trump said. "We don't want other countries and other leaders to laugh at us anymore."

I'm laughing now at that dork and just how gullible the yanks are to vote this numpty into office.

This moreover, damages US politically as going from World leader to rank along side the other two nations; Nicaragua and Syria who didn't sign agreement.

It is a tragedy on a world scale that the idiot won't even try to help the planet last.

Makes ya weep !!

It is a tragedy on a world scale that the idiot won't even try to help the planet last.

Makes ya weep !!

I can't wait to see one of his properties by the water front get flooded.

Poetic justice is on hold for now. Just wait for it.

Mr Trump did not give a timescale on withdrawal. However, under the agreement, a nation seeking to leave the pact can only give notice three years after the date it entered into force - 16 November 2016.
The process of leaving then takes another year, meaning it would not be complete until just weeks after the US presidential election in 2020.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe the pro Dump people will have seen the light by then and realise what a mistake their POTUS has made.

"I believe there is a creator in God who is much bigger than us. And I'm confident that, if there's a real problem, he can take care of it."

—Rep. Tim Walberg on climate change

And that pretty much sums it all up right there. Except for those who see no point in doing anything about anything at all because they're waiting for the Rapture, which will be here any day now.

"I believe there is a creator in God who is much bigger than us. And I'm confident that, if there's a real problem, he can take care of it."

—Rep. Tim Walberg on climate change

And that pretty much sums it all up right there. Except for those who see no point in doing anything about anything at all because they're waiting for the Rapture, which will be here any day now.

That's been a long time coming.

I'm sure the old methods are not exhausted yet, like wiping people off the face of the earth.