City Index Advantage Trader

Cityindex do promote it heavy on their web site and with every right, great platform but need a few extras like hotkeys for sending orders. Also a default user predefined auto stop and target settings would be fine. I did trade using the platform today and I liked it very much. Look at all the indicators and trading system scripts, just great, but I wonder how they play out with a market maker? We will soon find out.:)

They don't seem to want people to know it also works with Fins accounts.

I prefer to use the old one. What 's good about the new? It's a serious question, maybe because I am to used to the old one. Is there anything on the new one that the old one does not have?

I prefer to use the old one. What 's good about the new? It's a serious question, maybe because I am to used to the old one. Is there anything on the new one that the old one does not have?
Well I mention a few important advantages with the new platform earlier in my posts. However all is not well, after quite a few trades I found that the execution time being a bit sluggish (the same goes for the new Advantage web platform which I am not too fond of), this compared to the old web platform. Advantage Trader desktop application is definitely slower, the platform being a desktop application should in fact result in the opposite. Anyone else out there that have got the same experience as me trading with the Advantage Trader platform?

Last edited:
They probably like to roll out the promotion of the new Advantage Trader platform from Cityindex. I am quite sure Finspreads will soon give out information that its clients can use the Advantage Trader platform as well.

This is a very strange introduction of its new platform by Finspreads.

I used to have their logo as a bookmark. On the changeover day I pressed this, to log in, as usual and it would not work. I rang them and was told use the term "inand out", so I did and got in to the old platform. I did not know that there was a new platform! No information, no email----nothing!

That was ok by me, because ignorance is bliss and I've been using the old one, ever since.

Then, Barjon, who knows I use Finspreads, got in touch, some time after, and asked me to comment on the new platform and I told him that I could see nothing new about it except that they had changed the background colour scheme. He probably thought that I was nuts and did not reply.

Then, reading this thread, I went to Google and found the new platform. I found the whole thing so different and complicated that I, thankfully, went back the old one where I intend to stay, as long as they keep it running.

That is why I asked what new advantages there were.

It is as if Finspreads were only offering the new platform to new clients, keeping the old clints with the old one.

Oh, yes, I prefer the old charts too but, perhaps I did not stay long enough to test them to the full.

I, for sure, have still not received any news of a changover by email from them.

Strange state of affairs

What you have in Finspreads is the Advantage web , in Cityindex there is a downloadable version as well ...

This is a very strange introduction of its new platform by Finspreads.

I used to have their logo as a bookmark. On the changeover day I pressed this, to log in, as usual and it would not work. I rang them and was told use the term "inand out", so I did and got in to the old platform. I did not know that there was a new platform! No information, no email----nothing!

That was ok by me, because ignorance is bliss and I've been using the old one, ever since.

Then, Barjon, who knows I use Finspreads, got in touch, some time after, and asked me to comment on the new platform and I told him that I could see nothing new about it except that they had changed the background colour scheme. He probably thought that I was nuts and did not reply.

Then, reading this thread, I went to Google and found the new platform. I found the whole thing so different and complicated that I, thankfully, went back the old one where I intend to stay, as long as they keep it running.

That is why I asked what new advantages there were.

It is as if Finspreads were only offering the new platform to new clients, keeping the old clints with the old one.

Oh, yes, I prefer the old charts too but, perhaps I did not stay long enough to test them to the full.

I, for sure, have still not received any news of a changover by email from them.

Strange state of affairs
I think it is great that one is able to choose trading from many different platforms, of course it should not result in slower execution time. Hopefully they will be able o keep the old web platform for quite a while, until they have tuned in the new ones for good performance.

What you have in Finspreads is the Advantage web , in Cityindex there is a downloadable version as well ...
tar, what is your take on the new Advantage Trader platform (desktop)?

tar, what is your take on the new Advantage Trader platform (desktop)?

Hi , tbh i didn't use it that much but it looks much better and lighter than the old one - especially when you open the options chain - , although the old charts looks better ...

Last edited:
My hope is that the desktop version will be faster, but it'll take a while to know for sure. Possibly it will have an MT4 style plug-in to make sure only losers get the best execution?

My hope is that the desktop version will be faster, but it'll take a while to know for sure. Possibly it will have an MT4 style plug-in to make sure only losers get the best execution?
The Advantage Trader platform is a good platform, it is a shame that the execution speed is not up to standard. This kind of reduction in execution speed compared to the old web platform is very annoying, and does ruin an overall excellent platform and trading experience. We will see what Cityindex will bring us, if this is what they can offer I will not be around too long. I am however willing to give them some time to adjust and tune in the platform for better performance, before giving up on them entirely.

I notice a significant improvement in speed on the Finspreads Advantage web platform today. We'll see if it transcends to the Advantage Trader desktop platform as well.

Nope, Advantage Trader is not performing well. I think by the look of the performance of the platform it is released too early. I get order processing errors and it is too slow and inconsistent executing orders. A volatile market like today really puts it to the test, and right now it is failing miserably.

Last edited:
Nope, Advantage Trader is not performing well. I think by the look of the performance of the platform it is released too early. I get order processing errors and it is too slow and inconsistent executing orders. A volatile market like today really puts it to the test, and right now it is failing miserably.

Reminds me of CMC Next Gen. I wonder how much it cost City, or if it's based on another platform?

Reminds me of CMC Next Gen. I wonder how much it cost City, or if it's based on another platform?
The feel of the platform is really good, it is light and as I see it with great potential. To call a platform professional, as City do, you have to have instant execution, period. It is far from that now. I mean if they have fast execution on their web application, at least they have to give the same execution speed on the Advantage Trader platform. Otherwise it would just be a waste of invested money. The platform I don't think is developed from scratch. We'll see how it will develops, but I will not trade on it using larger stakes, just to risky. Hopefully they will soon get the execution speed in order, because the platform is definitely worth it.

What I would like to know if someone is trading live with Cityindex and using the Advantage Trader desktop application platform? Although not official, one can log into the platform with a Finspreads account, but can the lack of execution speed have anything to do with the use of a Finspreads account?

What I would like to know if someone is trading live with Cityindex and using the Advantage Trader desktop application platform? Although not official, one can log into the platform with a Finspreads account, but can the lack of execution speed have anything to do with the use of a Finspreads account?

I've got a Finspread account but use the old platform. The speed of the old platform suits me and it surprises me that the two should be different in that respect.

I coukl give it a try tomorrow and see how I get on. I suppose that I shall have to get used to it, sooner or later, if Fins closes the old one.

I explained how I did not get into the new platform, in an earlier post but, in any case, I am an old guy, when it comes to anything new like this, and am slow to change. I still have not bothered to figure out what is so special about the new one. :)

I've got a Finspread account but use the old platform. The speed of the old platform suits me and it surprises me that the two should be different in that respect.

I coukl give it a try tomorrow and see how I get on. I suppose that I shall have to get used to it, sooner or later, if Fins closes the old one.

I explained how I did not get into the new platform, in an earlier post but, in any case, I am an old guy, when it comes to anything new like this, and am slow to change. I still have not bothered to figure out what is so special about the new one. :)
Yes good do that, but you have to try out the Advantage Trader desktop application, because the speed on the new Advantage Web platform is satisfactory (today it got much better). If you are a swing trader you might not be that alarmed by the speed you experience on the Advantage Trader, but if you are like me medium to short term trader, it might be different experience.

Some of the advantages, much more indicators and scripts in Advantage Trader. And you can program you own scripts (very important). A large selection of Trading system of different kind that I haven't bothered to get into, as if the speed of execution don't get better I will leave the platform altogether. You can move the stop loss and target directly on the chart screen and then just click OK. You can set the stop loss in points of distance from the entry level (mentioned earlier). I like the simplicity of OCO orders in one order window. The platform is very lightweight, responsive and customize able, very quick to start up. I personally like the charts very much. These are a few good things about the platform.

Some of the advantages, much more indicators and scripts in Advantage Trader. And you can program you own scripts (very important). A large selection of Trading system of different kind that I haven't bothered to get into, as if the speed of execution don't get better I will leave the platform altogether. You can move the stop loss and target directly on the chart screen and then just click OK. You can set the stop loss in points of distance from the entry level (mentioned earlier). I like the simplicity of OCO orders in one order window. The platform is very lightweight, responsive and customize able, very quick to start up. I personally like the charts very much. These are a few good things about the platform.

IMO the platform is potentially the best available for SB, but I have the impression that the stand-alone version uses a lot of computer resources. Could this be affecting execution speed, or is this just a design feature to keep short-term traders under control?