Best Thread Capital Spreads

capital spreads delayed charts

Evening everyone, after reading the boards here for a couple of months I have decided to take the plunge at spread betting. Ive traded equitys for some time but would like to trade a bit more quickly initially at evenings. After advice from some knowledgable people on here went for spread betting to test my strategys/ideas.
Just wondered though what the rest of you thought re trying to trade with delayed charts on quite a short time frame , only for small amounts!
Am I missing something, or is it impossible and Im just giving them my dosh!!!
Would like to try though and for the record am v.impressed with capital as they seem honest enough (well as honest as anybody whose trying to take my dosh
icon7.gif

If as I suspect you all say its a no go can you recommend a cheap data feed (am I right though in thinking that obviously the data feed will only capture the underlying asset!)
Anyhow thanks in advance
Regards Paul

It is extremely hard to day trade with delayed charts, if not impossible. You may get lucky, but most of the time will lost out.

I find it difficult to immagine any scenario where you could trade on delayed data, it's hard enough when it's live.

paulrockhopper

I also spread bet with Capital Spreads and do not think much of the chart delay. My solution is to log on to cap spds then go to Yahoo finance and select the share or indices you want. select the big chart and apply the technical analysis you require.
You will need to continually select 'refresh' from the menu bar of your computer to up- date the chart.

When you are ready to trade select Cap Spds from the address bar and you will go back into the trading platform without having to log in your details again.

Hope this is clear

Regards

bracke

Last edited:
Thanks for your help people. Ive now tried all the ways listed and they do work a treat. Ive just signed up for a demo with d4f also so am able to use their data, and might have to open an account with them. Its a shame cap spreads couldnt do this as I like their approach to their customers but then I love the d4f software also, still nobody said it would be easy!! By the way Bonsia the thread you linked is excellent , did you work all that out through trial and error or are you in IT either way v.impressive

glad to see you have been fixed up

it's not difficult or clever, it's just a little bit of html

if you have any problems, post them on the chart thread.

I'll bring it to the top as we seem to have a lot of new members.

bonsai said:
glad to see you have been fixed up

it's not difficult or clever, it's just a little bit of html

if you have any problems, post them on the chart thread.

I'll bring it to the top as we seem to have a lot of new members.

Being one of them, was interested in creating chart and did the FTSE example but could not do it for the Dow!

Did not appear to accept the epic for Dow
any thoughts
cheers

Does anybody have any experience of a winning spread bet through a futures spike ? I got taken out of a FTSE March Fut trade on Monday (approx 14:00 ish) through a spike touching my stop of 4280 which I thought I had placed sufficiently far away. I lost a fair bit of money but the galling thing was the spike which bounced straight back up.

I have tried an appeal to the SB Firm but to no avail as they inform me that there will have been plenty of winning trades which would have been entered on that spike ie limit orders. Does anybody have any experience of the other side of the coin so to speak ?

jaykay- they are only mirroring the underlying instrument, which had a major spike (fat fingers again?) Whilst the dealers at the spreadbetting firm may have had the balls to take the other side of your stop, if it had carried on moving down, you wouldn't be trying to give them any money back would you?
And if I had a limit in at the level it touched, I'd sure as shit be demanding a fill from them, so I think to try and appeal to a spreadbetting firm to null and void the trade is a little cheeky! Still a bit chutzpah never hurt anyone...

Tom H (sunseeker) posted this on another website

Quote:

We filled everyone who had orders to buy below the 4348 and we stopped no one out.

How is that for service!!!!!

End.

He's from City Index.

Would the spike you refer to be with D4F as I noticed they had 2 large spikes within half an hour of each other the first moving down 90 points and the second 70 points.

With regard to CityIndex it sounds to good to be true. Does anyone know how much the futures market actually spiked was it overplayed by D4F. How can Cityindex fill all buys but not take out stops am I being naive.

jaykay3,

Have you checked to see if the underlying market also traded at that price (ie the actual future) ? If not you have a good case in my view.

Paul

kevin 546

I don't know about 2 spikes but my spike was just after 2:00 pm.

Trader333

The SB firm are sended me a copy of the spike as recorded by Bloomberg and apparently it went 5 or 6 points beyond my stop of 4280 then bounced straight back up. Here is an extract from the reply I received "Please remember that although the market move was not to your advantage, traders who were looking to buy down at those levels would be expected to be filled and rightly so it seems. If LIFFE had come back and "busted" any of
the trades we would have reinstated your trade.
You will see from the market price print out that the March FTSE went through your stop by 5 or 6 points."

Ah Well C'est La Vie but I am still curious to know if there were any lucky people out there who did indeed get filled.

My new strategy has now got to be to leave a limit order in at each end of the market to catch those luvverly spikes. lol :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

hi all

we also took the city index view of the spike caused by a trader placing a market order to sell 6000 contracts instead of 60. We filled no stops lower than 4346, which was where the market settled to after the spike, although we did fill the buy orders below that level.

We also had stop levels all the way down to 4280 but took the view that as the spike was unreasonable and the damage from filling the buy orders was not great we could easily absorb the hit. (and avoid large numbers of irate phone conversations)

Athough I might also say that as all our orders are 'our quote' not 'market print', we could have disallowed them all as obviously 'our quote' would never have been down there.

The SB company that filled your order is being a little dis-engenuous as they probably had far more stop orders than buy orders, (considering the number of controlled and deposit accounts that they have)

The SB company is quite right in that the official low was somewhere around 4274. LIFFE could have broken the trades but decided not to.

Simon

Jakay3

I would be interested to know which company you are trading with. Clearly in this instance it would seem the likes of Capitalspreads and Cityindex have more respect and or provide a better service to their customers.

I assume we are talking about a spike that took place on Mon 02/04. If as I suspect it may have been D4F then I have posted there own 5 min chart. I have had to compress it to get back as far as Mon so its not great. The point is that they appear to have had 2 bites of the cherry and it would be interesting to know if the LIFFE market actually followed this pattern as well. You can see from the red price bars that it was not just a simple large spike down. The price returned and held just below the original price range before diving for a second time and they were approximately 15 mins apart and not as some might suggest the result of a single move down followed by a correction.

I have attempted to see what actually happened on Liffe but I cannot get a chart from www.futuresource.co.uk at present.

Kevin

Attachments

• ftse spike 02.02.04.gif
    ftse spike 02.02.04.gif
    110.7 KB · Views: 472
your second spike is actually not real. If you look at the Trade Recap on bloomberg you can see the massive volume trading all the way down on the first spike but the second spike does not actually happen.

I assume that it is a late trade being reported.

simon

Simon

One would hope from your assessment that is the case but it is interesting that they have 2 spikes. If they acted on the first why a second and more importantly would it be interesting if they did act on both.

DF4 have been getting a few spikes of late especially at the close of the LIFFE exchange at 5.30pm and I do realise this is a volatile time but I suspect quite a few could get caught out as they can swing the price 30 - 50 points sometimes. If it is just a peculiarity of the charts and they do not act on them then that is fine. Certainly when it happened to me I could not get out and get a nice profit but never mind and hopefully its just them adjusting things without acting on orders.

Kevin,

Can I first of all say that the spread bet firm is NOT D4F and I would not like anybody to go away with the impression that it is.

I would rather not say who they at the moment as I am awaiting some information back from LIFFE.

Here's hoping that those reading this and who are undecided about which spreadbet firm to go to can now see how the treatment of clients may be better with some spread bet firms than with others.

Last edited: