Best Thread Capital Spreads

This is not the reason why there are only 20% or less winners. But I agree, they are making things more difficult due to the high volatility.

The only thing that's keeping up with prices right now is my DMA level2 on my 10mbs fiber connection.

I'm sitting these next few days out I think..

What your saying is a class action lawsuit looking to happen, I can't see a sane company exposing themselves to such liabilities.

I'm not saying your wrong, but if true your talking jail time for thous involved, investors right not do not have a really big seance of humor about this sort of thing right now..

Unfortunately, the T&Cs you agree to on signing up allow them to do virtually anything!

sorry to throw a spanner in the works but.... lets get a bit of honesty in here... even though we have a spectacularly fast feed it is second hand (as all SB feeds must be) ..we get our prices from the exchanges (in the case of FX… from market makers) and then push them out to clients. This means that there will always be that fraction of a second delay from a DMA system. Effectively a scalper is watching a very good DMA and attempting to trade on the SB companies' fractionally retarded feed.

Unfortunately all SB companies watch for this type of activity and move to squish it. Capital Spreads cannot make trades with the market makers on old prices ….so why should we allow clients be able to do it with us?

Funnily enough most of the clients who complain about us find it impossible to make money using DMA !!!

Oddly, our biggest winners have no complaints because they are not interested in getting a scalping trade on. They are interested in doing the work, analysing the situations as they occur and getting a trade on in a market that gives them a good probability of profit.

The complaints on this thread (and on all the other SB threads) are from clients who try to scalp and wonder why the SB companies do not love them.

sorry to add a bit of realism

Simon

ps
i might also add that one of our competitors sent us an e-mail this morning stating "spreads on stock outside the FTSE 250" have been widened to 1pc due to market conditions .. we still quote 0.2pc

Last edited:
If memory serves, didn't IBFX & FXCM get crucified to the tune of millions in fines for this sort of thing last year.

Got to look that up again, but CS statement looks familiar..

Also:
It's been my unfortunate experiences that T&Cs ain't worth the paper their written on.

It the hands of a good Barrister they'll destroy any contract presented, then it comes down to who runs out of money first..

Anyways, I'll stick to my nice End of Day system, far less stress..

Last edited:
marlintrading

what sort of thing?

again i come across unsubstatiated comments that actually mean absolutely nothing.

Nobody ever states exact times and sales on which I can comment ... only statements that "i was rejected on a trade" ... well sorry .. i/my dealers get rejected/miss trades all the time. As i continually tell my dealers "bite the bullet and take the next best offer/bid" dont play around for a tick here and there.

if you are trading for FX pips use DMA .. we quote 2/3 pips on most majors... DMA is 1/2 pips .. if you believe that you can make money scalping DMA platforms then please do so.... even with the tax advantage you should do better.

simon

sorry to throw a spanner in the works but.... lets get a bit of honesty in here... even though we have a spectacularly fast feed it is second hand (as all SB feeds must be) ..we get our prices from the exchanges (in the case of FX… from market makers) and then push them out to clients. This means that there will always be that fraction of a second delay from a DMA system. Effectively a scalper is watching a very good DMA and attempting to trade on the SB companies' fractionally retarded feed.

Unfortunately all SB companies watch for this type of activity and move to squish it. Capital Spreads cannot make trades with the market makers on old prices ….so why should we allow clients be able to do it with us?

Funnily enough most of the clients who complain about us find it impossible to make money using DMA !!!

Oddly, our biggest winners have no complaints because they are not interested in getting a scalping trade on. They are interested in doing the work, analysing the situations as they occur and getting a trade on in a market that gives them a good probability of profit.

The complaints on this thread (and on all the other SB threads) are from clients who try to scalp and wonder why the SB companies do not love them.

sorry to add a bit of realism

Simon

ps
i might also add that one of our competitors sent us an e-mail this morning stating "spreads on stock outside the FTSE 250" have been widened to 1pc due to market conditions .. we still quote 0.2pc
Sorry Simon, this time I cannot agree with you. Quite often you give blocks of re-quotes (at times spanning over half an hour), this has nothing to do with a delay of a feed. When this occur, I just move on to another SB company where I can get better service. These days I am trading less with you. Trade rejections is getting to be a major problem while trading with CS.

marlintrading

what sort of thing?

again i come across unsubstatiated comments that actually mean absolutely nothing.

Nobody ever states exact times and sales on which I can comment ... only statements that "i was rejected on a trade" ... well sorry .. i/my dealers get rejected/miss trades all the time. As i continually tell my dealers "bite the bullet and take the next best offer/bid" dont play around for a tick here and there.

if you are trading for FX pips use DMA .. we quote 2/3 pips on most majors... DMA is 1/2 pips .. if you believe that you can make money scalping DMA platforms then please do so.... even with the tax advantage you should do better.

simon
Simon

Let me clearfy:
First this was not intended to contradict your position, I have stated more that once anyone trying to daytrade on a SB platform its really taking a chance especially scalping, you need superfast feeds and computers to do that sort of thing and survive. Also the leverage involved with SB is extremely high, a few wrong moves and its all over, even on DMA at a margin broker its really hard work..

Second:

All they ended up doing was setting this out in the T&C and and giving a warning this was unacceptably and everything was fine that I know of. They never made their position clear before this and news traders went nuts.. You however have made your position of record on this forum on many occasions anyone not knowing the possible outcome of this behavior @ CS cannot make any clams IMO they we're treated unfairly if their trying to scalp.

Third, My original post was to question the whole validity of this sort of statement in the first place as I've seen this kind of post in the forum so many times and on-one ever shows me what happened.

Hope that clears that up..

Last edited:
Sorry Simon, this time I cannot agree with you. Quite often you give blocks of re-quotes (at times spanning over half an hour), this has nothing to do with a delay of a feed. When this occur, I just move on to another SB company where I can get better service. These days I am trading less with you. Trade rejections is getting to be a major problem while trading with CS.
gle101; I guess because I set my break orders after the market is closed I never get to see this, so I have really no idea..

It is amusing to me Simon has been saying the same stupid sh!t for years. He provides crap service because he can. That is all there is to it.

Most of the time, there is no reason to reject trades or delay them the way Simon does. They are shysters. Get used to it or move.

gle101; I guess because I set my break orders after the market is closed I never get to see this, so I have really no idea..
Well I guess you are a swing trader, no problem really with CS. All traders are not swing traders. It is very easy for SB companies to make excuses and blame the short term traders for taking advantage of a feed delay. This is actually not the problem, most of the short term traders just want to trade with the momentum, and are not really interested in the feed delay as such. Also the SB companies feed today are extremely fast, nothing to gain really. Simon and CS must decide if the price feed they provide are fast enough to uphold a good service, instead of using it as an excuse when it is convenient, to criticize and block out certain trading styles.

Simon

Can you explain why we are seeing significant periods where CS is not providing quotes? For example, EURUSD yesterday, 15:30h-15:32h, 15:39h-15:47h, 15:48h-15:50h, 15:57h-16:02h, 21:58h-22:06h; and again this morning 07:56h-08:01h.

Thanks

Put these current markets in perspective. We have record volatility and zero liquidity-trading DMA nad getting fills is hard enough, never mind adding in another level of trading.....

Well I guess you are a swing trader, no problem really with CS. All traders are not swing traders. It is very easy for SB companies to make excuses and blame the short term traders for taking advantage of a feed delay. This is actually not the problem, most of the short term traders just want to trade with the momentum, and are not really interested in the feed delay as such. Also the SB companies feed today are extremely fast, nothing to gain really. Simon and CS must decide if the price feed they provide are fast enough to uphold a good service, instead of using it as an excuse when it is convenient, to criticize and block out certain trading styles.

Call me cynical, but surely the reason they don't like short-term traders is simply because they can't open a position with a guaranteed profit, or effectively zero risk (for them, by hedging)? Hence the delays and requotes. Can't say I really blame them. The bottom line is that the best way to make money spread betting would be to buy shares in the company, or if that's not possible, apply for a job there... Thinking of early retirement, Simon?:)

Gooseman

I'm aware of the current volatility and reduced liquidity. However re, for example, this morning there were no quotes that I can see for 5mins and this at least didn't strike me as a particularly volatile period. If I look on FXStreet I can see prices through that whole period so theoretically someone is quoting. So to my mind there could have been either a technical problem at CS, or their MMs wouldn't quote a price, or CS didn't want to take on any more positions. Whichever the reason is I'd simply be interested to know, hence the question that I addressed to Simon. I wasn't planning to moan as I find CS quite adequate for my purposes.

Thanks

Hi Simon

EURUSD (and looks like GBPUSD but I wasn't really following live). I can see gap on 1min charts between 07:56 and 08:00. At this time I'd looked at the quote page and the market was listed as 'closed'.

Call me cynical, but surely the reason they don't like short-term traders is simply because they can't open a position with a guaranteed profit, or effectively zero risk (for them, by hedging)? Hence the delays and requotes. Can't say I really blame them. The bottom line is that the best way to make money spread betting would be to buy shares in the company, or if that's not possible, apply for a job there... Thinking of early retirement, Simon?:)
Often the book itself takes care of that. In case there is no balance in the book, you might be right. It's not a big problem for me; I just move over to somebody else, where I can get the service I am looking for. I don't know where you have gotten the notion that you can't make a profit with a SB company. With DMA you also have the odds against you. With SB, the odds are in some cases slightly higher against you. On the other hand you can be more flexible when it comes to stakes. You just have to be very adaptable in order to end up in the winning circle (plus the other trading disciplines of course), especially if you are a short term trader, and not stay on too long, if a problem arises with a certain SB. In the past two weeks, a lot of problems have mounted up with CS. Hopefully, they come around, if not, I go elsewhere and check them up again in a couple of weeks or so. No big deal really.

. I don't know where you have gotten the notion that you can't make a profit with a SB company. With DMA you also have the odds against you. With SB, the odds are in some cases slightly higher against you. .

When did I say you can't make a profit with a SB company? It is possible, of course, but far less likely than with proper DMA, especially trading short-term with index futures, partly because of the plaforms, partly because with futs you're effectively getting zero spread most of the time. Conversely, with SB you're usually getting filled at twice the quoted spread, or more, which makes a huge difference to the outcome.

When did I say you can't make a profit with a SB company? It is possible, of course, but far less likely than with proper DMA, especially trading short-term with index futures, partly because of the plaforms, partly because with futs you're effectively getting zero spread most of the time. Conversely, with SB you're usually getting filled at twice the quoted spread, or more, which makes a huge difference to the outcome.
Well in most cases you do pay the market spread, add the commission and calculate how much you are actually paying in spread. It is not a giveaway. I like to trade the FTSE so the Z future is not an option for me. I agree with you, if tax considerations and stake is not an issue, DMA is usually a better choice.