Best Thread Capital Spreads

we are better than or equal to virtually every single SB company in the vast majority of markets. (official spreads). Our margin requirements are far lower than everyone. As opposed to most SB companies we did not budge our margin requirements in equities one jot over the past year (even though we were already the lowest anyway). Except for Northern Rock and Bradford and Bingley. Our rolling charges are lower than almost everyone (I do not have an account with all the SB companies so cannot check this exactly).

Simon

Simon,

With all due respect to you and your fine company, when I made thous trades the spreads nor the margins resembled anything advertised on the CS site, in fact the spread and the margin we're twice as much.

When I called your support people, a very nice and professional lady gave me a really long and drawn out explanation that what I was seeing was correct. Needless to say I was unconvinced.

However since others have recently reported experiencing a much improved service, I will give it another try and see how it goes.

It would great if it works out as CS has everything I need for my FTSE100 shares system and I must admit It can't be as bad as where I'm trading now at a company's recently "upgraded", please phone in you ftse100 order platform..

I realize that a SB Co can't match my ECN trading company but that's not what I signed up for, tight fixed spreads on highly leveraged shares for very short term end-of-day swingtrading is ideal for SB, and thats all I want.

Last edited:
I know it's a little off the point, but can anyone tell me which FTSE Future code best represents CS's FTSE Rolling Daily if I get my data from IB & use Sierra Charts? Very much like that the DAX spread is now just 1.

marlintrdg

the margins are flexible in that if you have the available funds on your account they will take up to 10% on a FTSE 100 stock But if you amend the stop loss to a much tighter price (i.e closer to the current quote) the minimum margin requirement for a FTSE 100 stock is just 3% (FTSE 250 is 5%). There are occassional differences if the stock is considered to be a bit leery but the vast majority are as stated. The spreads on FTSE 100 rolling daily are just 0.1% around the exchange quoted price (0.05% above and 0.05% below) which when you consider that stamp duty alone, before you even consider comissions etc, is 0.5% shows how using SB for short to medium term trading is generally a more efficient use of trading funds than DA on equity trading.

m-grindy

we always use as our base the 'front month' future. at the moment this is the june contract but this will change in a few days to the September. You can always see the 'Fair value' being used by looking at the 'daily future' contract versus the 'rolling daily' contract. During a trading day this should not vary by a pip or two, although sometimes the LSE quote does get a bit out of phase.

Simon

FAO Capital Spreads.

I am looking at the Captial Spreads platform and have been experimenting via the simulated trading. I do like it but there's a couple of little things that could be improved:

(1) When viewing my Open Positions is gives Market, Position, Ave, Current, P/L, etc, but does not actually state if the position is a buy or sell. Surely this is very important?

(2) When I open the 'Amend closing orders' dialog box the Current Price does not update, and as the dialog box blocks the prices information behind it I have no way of knowing the current prices.

The live platform prices diffrenet from the demo one . and if u have a sell position they give u the stake like this (3) and if it is buy they give u the stake only 3 .

FAO Capital Spreads.

I am looking at the Captial Spreads platform and have been experimenting via the simulated trading. I do like it but there's a couple of little things that could be improved:

CUT

(2) When I open the 'Amend closing orders' dialog box the Current Price does not update, and as the dialog box blocks the prices information behind it I have no way of knowing the current prices.

Don't know about the demo, but on the live platform the best way to trade IMO is to have several browser windows open (File/New Window or CTRL+N). Use one for live prices e.g. My Portfolio, one for open positions, one for amending stops/losses. Resize windows smaller so you can see them all at once.

Paul

Don't know about the demo, but on the live platform the best way to trade IMO is to have several browser windows open (File/New Window or CTRL+N). Use one for live prices e.g. My Portfolio, one for open positions, one for amending stops/losses. Resize windows smaller so you can see them all at once.

Paul

exactly (y)

Dont know whether its a generalised problem for all or just me having it But the platform is really slow and once you take a trade it takes a while for ticket to come up and changing stop and limits is really a drag and slow painful process.
also on a side note the shorts on SPX,DOW etc in past used to pay for holding them But nowadays ( atleast over a month) dont anymore. FTSE DAX shorts still do pay for holding overnight.

rgds
Zarif

Dont know whether its a generalised problem for all or just me having it But the platform is really slow and once you take a trade it takes a while for ticket to come up and changing stop and limits is really a drag and slow painful process.
also on a side note the shorts on SPX,DOW etc in past used to pay for holding them But nowadays ( atleast over a month) dont anymore. FTSE DAX shorts still do pay for holding overnight.

rgds
Zarif

intrest rate has changed at the US so if u short us indices u will get nothing 2% intrest at US - 2% CS charge = 0 % but if u open account with tradefair ( white label of CS ) i think they charge u only 1% instead of 2% , so if u short the dow u get 1% on a yearly basis divided daily

Last night after the LSE close Barclays share dropped 15% then up 10% at Capital spreads .

rgds
Zarif
sometimes dealing ticket very slow but most of the time quick and good ( i am not talking about dealer intervention here )
And about your shorts at US indices , remember that interest rate has changed at the usa , so u will get nothing if u sell these indices 2% fed rate - 2% CS charge = 0% , in the other hand at tradefair ( white label of capital spreads ) they will charge u only 1% instead of 2% , this means if u short dow u get 2% - 1% = 1% yearly divided on a daily basis .

rgds
Zarif

Yes Zarif! Yes! Yes! Yes!

This is the reason I, and a number of he regulars on here (but not all) have left Capital Spreads. I am guessing you have started to become, or have been, more profitable of late. Or maybe your trade size had crept up to a decent amount.

That is when CS turn the screw on you. Forget their "better spreads", its totally useless when they sit and wait on the trade for 30 seconds to see which way its going to go before they decide to let you in or not. You will find it improves a little sometimes, but sooner or later you will be back on intervention by their dealers and it will cost you.

Run away now, don't wait to try and "get your own back" on them. If you don't have an account big enough to go to a bank to trade, or want to stay with Tax Free Spread Betting, then get yourself over and try IGINDEX immediately. Its instantaneous 99% of the time, and pretty good even during news.

At least try them before you trade again with CS.

Just my opinion, alledgedly.

Dave

dave crom

what a load of ********.. the time delay was nothing other than a new development that caused a locking on deal acceptance. All the deals were still accepted etc .. it just took longer for the computers to process and the confirms to come through. This has been remedied and no client was disadvantaged in any way.

Zarif

His point about a second spread betting account is well made though as you should always have an alternative provider.

The reason that you do not get 'paid' for being short of the dow or s&p at the moment is that the Fed rate has come down to just 2%. We pay 'base rate' minus 2% on shorts and charge base rate plus 2% on longs. Unfortunately with the rate now at 2% a short will now get (2% minus 2%) or 0%. But on the other hand if you are long the cost is not so high! Of course the UK still has rates at 5% and the Euro at 4% so you will still get 'paid' 3% and 2% respectively.

Simon

Simon why use base rate rather than, say, libor which has remained more or less where it is? After all I can wander into abbey national tomorrow and take out a 12 per cent savings account. If you get me.

Simon why use base rate rather than, say, libor which has remained more or less where it is? After all I can wander into abbey national tomorrow and take out a 12 per cent savings account. If you get me.

Base rate is lower? Think you've answered your own question there!