Best Thread Capital Spreads

Hi Everyone,
Thinking of opening an account with CS, just one thing bothers me after reading several posts. Do all trades go through the dealer, all manual?

each market has a limit in size beyond which we go to dealer acceptance.. as an example the FTSE is 20 quid (2 contracts). A few clients get put on dealer acceptance for various reasons but these are few and far between. The vast majority of trades (in the high 90%) are just auto-accepted.

CS is not so interested in individual clients as in the total positions of all the clients put together. We run a risk managed book and it must at all times be below pre determined risk level. My dealers time is not so much take up with trades as it is in watching that the risk book is in line.

Simon

Simon,

Been told that I cannot combine orders (and neither can capital spreads)... so if I've entered at two different prices then I need to adjust two limits and two stops even if I want these to be at the same levels.

Perhaps you could think about changing this? It shouldn't really be a hard thing for your IT guys...

Also amused by the contents of the emails I was sent, such gems as:

"You can trade for higher stakes then £1 a point"
"Your two trades are separate trades and have different entry levels
which cannot be changed"

:LOL: I learned something new today :LOL:

arabian knights

we cannot actually do that as each opening trade has a unique stop assigned to it. It would be a fundemental change to our business to do this.

On the other hand you can always ring up a dealer and get him to combine both opening bets into one bet at an average price (cancel the two existing ones) then you will just have one bet with one stop

ian
mainly if a client is trying to scalp on price feed variations and is trading 40 times a day...

simon

Well all....

Firstly a thank you for your help and support in this Capital Spreads thread.

I am about to say goodbye.

Many of you have said to me "Just leave the robbers at CS alone". I always said, "I have reasons why I need to stay with them".

Thankfully, Lord be praised, the last of those reasons no longer exists.

As of today, I have closed down my account with these 2nd rate, marketing-led, bucket shop bandits and yes it felt great finally asking for the account to be closed.

I have long suffered their excuses, their "oh it works both ways" rejection of orders (when it clearly doesnt), and their swinging of the spread either way depending on whether you are trying to get out of the trade, or trying to initiate ones. I have seen trades rejected, as "Out of spread", when the persons laptop next to me in class has been offering them the same price. ANd of course I've had winning trades rejected 10 hours later on the basis that there was the infamous"palpable error"....

So, it is with a great "Hurrah", that I am gone from them - and mostly probably gone from this thread.

I thank all of you for your support over the weeks and months, and wish you all the very best.

Cheers!

Are you opening an account with another broker, if you don't mind me asking ?

Well, not so much opening another one - I have always had 2 accounts.

But now I no longer need to keep the CS account open, as the last of the people I have been working with are finally convinced that Spread Betting is not the Holy Grail of Tax Free income they had initally thought it would be. They are closing their accounts too and moving over to EFX.

The spreads are no better, and no worse than CS. But the chance of getting a trade on is greatly increased, and you dont have to wait 30 seconds to get confirmation when you start making some money.

Cheers.

Well, not so much opening another one - I have always had 2 accounts.

But now I no longer need to keep the CS account open, as the last of the people I have been working with are finally convinced that Spread Betting is not the Holy Grail of Tax Free income they had initally thought it would be. They are closing their accounts too and moving over to EFX.

The spreads are no better, and no worse than CS. But the chance of getting a trade on is greatly increased, and you dont have to wait 30 seconds to get confirmation when you start making some money.

Cheers.
Hopefully you will not leave this thread altogether. I have enjoyed reading some of your posts. You will probably be back when you find out they all have flaws of some kind or the other. One must look at the total trading experience with a SB, and at the same time be honest to one self. If one still feels the SB is to blame for a bad trading experience, it is time to move on. Also, as I have stated many times before, find a SB or DMA that will do the job most efficient. In you particular case it might not be CS.

Last edited:
Hopefully you will not leave this thread altogether. I have enjoyed reading some of you posts. You will probably be back when you find out they all have flaws of some kind or the other. One must look at the total trading experience with a SB, and at the same time be honest to one self. If one still feels the SB is to blame for a bad trading experience, it is time to move on. Also, as I have stated many times before, find a SB or DMA that will do the job most efficient. In you particular case it might not be CS.

Hi Gle...

We shall see. I won't be back to CS, and my journey to other brokers is not a new one for me - i've been trading for years, been through a lot of brokers. I take trades tha last for months, weeks, days, hours and minutes - so I do look at the total experience I assure you.

Most have little glitches with their software - most do NOT have fundamental issues with their dealing policy and execution. And yes, it is their policy that is at fault, not just a stream of "Oh it was a techincal issue" self-effacing gumph.

The SB is not to blame for my performance - as I still trade succesfully for a living and have done for years - I know I can not do that at CS. THe odds are just weighted against you as soon as you start to do well - I have now seen it happen not just with me, but with enough people for it to be more than enough for a statistical confirmation and not an anomaly.

Hope all goes well for you mate!

Cheers

Hi Gle...

We shall see. I won't be back to CS, and my journey to other brokers is not a new one for me - i've been trading for years, been through a lot of brokers. I take trades tha last for months, weeks, days, hours and minutes - so I do look at the total experience I assure you.

Most have little glitches with their software - most do NOT have fundamental issues with their dealing policy and execution. And yes, it is their policy that is at fault, not just a stream of "Oh it was a techincal issue" self-effacing gumph.

The SB is not to blame for my performance - as I still trade succesfully for a living and have done for years - I know I can not do that at CS. THe odds are just weighted against you as soon as you start to do well - I have now seen it happen not just with me, but with enough people for it to be more than enough for a statistical confirmation and not an anomaly.

Hope all goes well for you mate!

Cheers
Same to you, and I hope to see you on some other thread on this forum.

Capital Spreads....they HAVE got better

Hi Guys,

Must compliment Capital Spreads. I have just re-openend my account (Having sworn on these boards I would never do so !:LOL:)

The platform does seem more robust. The prices appear to move much faster, fill speed has improved for both entries and exits and a 1 point ftse spread to boot.

a MARKED improvement on 6 months ago....well done CS

Not sure if there have been upgrades to the systems but it certainly seems a lot better than when I quit with them back in Jan this year.

IF you left for the same reasons that I did earlier this year it might be worth popping your head back in the door and giving them another shot. They might not be perfect but at least the MD (owner/partner) sticks his head on the chopping block and comes on this forum to talk about issues etc. Don't see many other SB firms doing that.

As of friday PM none of the old issues I had with them cropping up at all ! Phoned them a few times and it seems they may have sacked the annoying overly aggressive Aussie Bird who used to answer the phone.:clap: I have yet to hear her dulcet tones.

Anyways, will report back next friday how I am finding the platform after a longer period of use.

I use their platform daily to SB the Footsie and I can concur with Ceydababy ~ no problems at all.

Long may it continue.......

Arabian,

"It shouldn't really be a hard thing for your IT guys." Following the various themes/questions of this thread isn't it apparent CS do not employ IT guys?

For example, "My dealers time...is in watching that the risk book is in line." I think I could this in Excel to fire off counter-positions to maintain a flat book.

However, I suppose this is an improvement. Hitherto, it appeared CS weren't, or didn't know how to, run a book.

Grant.

Are CS spreads Really lower than Fins and WS?

About a year ago I funded and made about 4 end of day trades, close my account and left.

ceydababy

thks for the comments ... hopefully you will continue to have few if any problems... systems have of course had huge amounts spent on them (as you would expect) tradetimes etc are way down etc and hope some people noticed we cut the dax spread to one!

marlintrdg
we are better than or equal to virtually every single SB company in the vast majority of markets. (official spreads). Our margin requirements are far lower than everyone. As opposed to most SB companies we did not budge our margin requirements in equities one jot over the past year (even though we were already the lowest anyway). Except for Northern Rock and Bradford and Bingley. Our rolling charges are lower than almost everyone (I do not have an account with all the SB companies so cannot check this exactly).

Simon