Best Thread Capital Spreads

JonnyT said:
Sorry but execution is the number one requirement.
Number 2 for me is Stop orders to enter the market.

Given my experiences Capital do not cut the mustard on either count.

JonnyT

Just tried to get filled on Cable and was kept waiting for 22 seconds!! In that time, it dropped..wait for it...30 PIPS!!

Guess what, I got filled!!

This will be my last trade with CS until there is an auto fill function. I was only doing £2 per point size so there is no reason for it not be be auto filled.

zuke said:
Just tried to get filled on Cable and was kept waiting for 22 seconds!! In that time, it dropped..wait for it...30 PIPS!!

Guess what, I got filled!!

This will be my last trade with CS until there is an auto fill function. I was only doing £2 per point size so there is no reason for it not be be auto filled.

I won't even start on mine today.. The system has been particularly slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow :!:

Simon this has got to change as I dont want to be in panic everytime I want to trade.

capitalspreads said:
JonnyT

but what is wrong with our new order facility (stop to enter market) ?.. it is as good as anyone elses and does not suffer from your order execution problems

simon

Now, for some its price action first, price, whatever it is trading at that level which generates action, it can be dangerous to set a stop entry order at a price because you will not know how people are reacting to that price untill it gets there, hence some people might feel the pulse of the price to the second as its trading, although at times you know a future price which may likely provoke some reaction for me to have a stop entry involves greater risk and leaves you short of a very valuable tool namely "other peoples emotions at that second" Hence the requirement to act and place and have filled an order that second.... that second...

:) but im sure you are aware of this anyhow.

I had quite a few problems with the platform today as well, but I appreciate that Simon said they are having problems with feeds etc. I use their stop order system to get filled at certain key levels, because I can't trust the live trading...too many times I've had price expired or timed out tickets (if it times out, does that mean that in those 30 seconds no one from CS has had the time to look at it and try to fill it?)

Over time, I may move across some of my trading to CMC for its one-click trading and instant execution, or even, gasp, City Index, but for trades that I am planning to hold for more than a few minutes I am still happy with CS. Come on Simon, we want to trade with you !

PS - As with others this morning was particularly bad, with a switch over to phone trading and a very slow system. On my netdania chart, prices froze at 9:30 when the UK retail sales number came out, so perhaps there was a wider quote problem at the same time. Either way, not good.

I use CS and find them ok good spread on GBP USD and you place orders to open easily. My only beef is that I dont think they do mobile trading which I could do with for my system to really work its best I need to be able to tweek it abit once things get going and I cant stay in all day watching the screens, any chance mobile trading is coming soon ?

Who does mobile trading anyhow other than IG (8 points spread !) and tradindex (cant place orders to open) ?

abobtrader said:
I had quite a few problems with the platform today as well, but I appreciate that Simon said they are having problems with feeds etc. I use their stop order system to get filled at certain key levels, because I can't trust the live trading...too many times I've had price expired or timed out tickets (if it times out, does that mean that in those 30 seconds no one from CS has had the time to look at it and try to fill it?)

Over time, I may move across some of my trading to CMC for its one-click trading and instant execution, or even, gasp, City Index, but for trades that I am planning to hold for more than a few minutes I am still happy with CS. Come on Simon, we want to trade with you !

PS - As with others this morning was particularly bad, with a switch over to phone trading and a very slow system. On my netdania chart, prices froze at 9:30 when the UK retail sales number came out, so perhaps there was a wider quote problem at the same time. Either way, not good.

I am not too confident using the orders on live trades. Are you saying that you have had no problem did you have instant fills when your price was reached or did you have to wait for your trades to appear?

fxtraderlou said:
I use CS and find them ok good spread on GBP USD and you place orders to open easily. My only beef is that I dont think they do mobile trading which I could do with for my system to really work its best I need to be able to tweek it abit once things get going and I cant stay in all day watching the screens, any chance mobile trading is coming soon ?

Who does mobile trading anyhow other than IG (8 points spread !) and tradindex (cant place orders to open) ?[/QUOTE]

CMC offer mobile trading nowadays, was only released a few week ago I believe and haven't used it myself yet (Cable spread is 3 pips BTW).

I should also add that I tried Capital Spreads myself a few weeks ago.Most of my trades are based off sub 5min charts on an intraday basis..Absolutely impossible with delays and such..I attempted to make 3 trades.Two were no fills and the 3rd offered a re-quote that basically took the p**s (Sorry Simon)

CS do get a lot of good press and probably justifiably so - but I am afraid they aint geared up for the serious intraday players yet (imho).

CMC offer excellent fills and even when the markets are really fast moving you can often get the order through 1st time on one click..Yes, requotes do happen when things are very volatile but they appear pretty darn fast - none of this 20-30 second mullarchy.

OK the issue with setting stops and limits is a real pain (with CMC) and they don't appear to have any short term plans to address this...But quite frankly I'd rather have me fast fills and deal with the frustrations on the orders than be clicking to enter or exit and left "hoping" a dealer somewhere will accept the trade.

Last edited:
coolTrader said:
I won't even start on mine today.. The system has been particularly slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow :!:

Simon this has got to change as I dont want to be in panic everytime I want to trade.

This delay execution problem with CapitalSpread has been there since 2 years ago, it seems that it's still there as part of their money making scheme, good job I closed my account with them.

The problem was so bad it made me feel like i was conned each time. Each losing trade where i wanted to cut my losses turned out to be bigger losses because they wouldnt execute in time. Each winning trade was executed instantly....

I think everyone should be reporting to the FSA and let them investigate.I've heard too many complaints about them with the same problem, they just seem to forever making excuses which really makes me doubt their integrity. Further action should be taking! :(

It seems to me that each of the spread betting firms have their strenghts and weaknesses so you have to find the one that is a best fit for your style of trading. Placing an order to open if .. is a key part of my trading system and as I aways put in a limit and stop I do not have a problem with the CS system at all.

When I spoke to tradindex about placing an order to open if.. you can only do it if you want to sell at a higher price or buy at a lower price - this doesnt fit for me at all as I want to buy if it reaches a higher price and sell if it reaches a lower price.

Had a quick look at cmc but couldnt see any reference to mobile trading.

IG has mobile trading but today the platform doesnt recognise me as a client (which I have been for a year now ?) and also am not sure if I can place the orders I want with them.

So I guess a bit more thought and investigation is needed when choosing a spread betting company to see if it fits your exact requirements.

Still interested to hear from anyone who trades on a pda - which firm do they use and what pda did they choose (IG wont work on my blackberry - but tradindex will work on anything - but dont do orders to open !)

Whilst Im on a run is there such a thing as an automatic pull up stop loss for spread betting ? I think you can do this on automated systems for real trading but not not interested in that.

FSA and spreadbetters

MidasTouch1 said:
This delay execution problem with CapitalSpread has been there since 2 years ago, it seems that it's still there as part of their money making scheme, good job I closed my account with them.

The problem was so bad it made me feel like i was conned each time. Each losing trade where i wanted to cut my losses turned out to be bigger losses because they wouldnt execute in time. Each winning trade was executed instantly....

I think everyone should be reporting to the FSA and let them investigate.I've heard too many complaints about them with the same problem, they just seem to forever making excuses which really makes me doubt their integrity. Further action should be taking! :(
Forget the FSA- I'll repeat that for those who thought the FSA actually DID anything-Forget the FSA , they couldn't regulate their own movements. Caveat emptor-if people quit the spreadbet firms in numbers,they will be forced to change or go out of business. They want you to bleed to death financially-and when one lot are finished, there's always a fresh crop. Break that cycle and we all win. Good luck to all with today's balatant manipu.........................sorry tricky market conditions.

Can any one please tell me the reason why Capital spreads have spiked up the price of BLND from 1047.00 to 1100.00and back down to again 1047.90.
This was about 20 minutes ago.

Fluke said:
Can any one please tell me the reason why Capital spreads have spiked up the price of BLND from 1047.00 to 1100.00and back down to again 1047.90.
This was about 20 minutes ago.

Every 3rd Friday UK stocks go into an auction session at 10:10 (like they do at 16:30 everyday) to determine option settlement values. The market goes crossed (bids are higher than offers) and everything looks a bit screwy. Same thing happened on CMC....

LongandWrong said:
Every 3rd Friday UK stocks go into an auction session at 10:10 (like they do at 16:30 everyday) to determine option settlement values. The market goes crossed (bids are higher than offers) and everything looks a bit screwy. Same thing happened on CMC....[/QUOT

I didn't know that thanks,so I can presume the price will still be reliable,so will keep my open position.

Regards Jon.

I have start using futures betting, their platform is very fast with no delays. The spreads are higher than CS but at least there are no delays and the guys are quite friendly and helpfull.
But I still like CS interface and easy of use, just a shame Simon cannot make the system to work.
Simon, get a new IT team, maybe that will help.

I funded my account with CS today, and traded EUR/JPY and EUR/USD upto £15 point withour any issues at all. Hope the experiences in these posts are not repeated for me... we'll see...

Major screw up today from Capital Spreads - I had a crude position open. One of my stops was hit which halved my positions. I then moved the stop right away from the market on the other position. The old stop was hit so they sold out my remaining position. I am not happy.

coolTrader said:
I am not too confident using the orders on live trades. Are you saying that you have had no problem did you have instant fills when your price was reached or did you have to wait for your trades to appear?

Hi cooltrader. Using the orders still has delays but eventually you get your price (assuming no gaps). At first, I got worried when I saw my orders still unfilled and the account going in to the red, but after about 20 seconds or so, the stop-loss order always gets filled at the right price.

I know, its not perfect...it should be instant, but at least it avoids trying to close out manually and getting rejected over and over again.

abobtrader said:
Hi cooltrader. Using the orders still has delays but eventually you get your price (assuming no gaps). At first, I got worried when I saw my orders still unfilled and the account going in to the red, but after about 20 seconds or so, the stop-loss order always gets filled at the right price.

I know, its not perfect...it should be instant, but at least it avoids trying to close out manually and getting rejected over and over again.

I thought you were talking about entering a trade with an order. I always use stops.

Tubbs said:
Major screw up today from Capital Spreads - I had a crude position open. One of my stops was hit which halved my positions. I then moved the stop right away from the market on the other position. The old stop was hit so they sold out my remaining position. I am not happy.

I am sure that the market price got to that point before you moved your stop. Which is why it was hit. That has happened to me several times.