Best Thread Capital Spreads

Thanks Simon.

I've got it working now, although before you didn't have to do the old "hold and drag" bit. You just clicked on the magnifying glass then clicked on the chart.

Anways, not a problem.

The Magnifying glass rocks!! :clap:

Cheers.

i think i will go on holiday and leave it to TradUK as he knows a damn sight more about IP/Internet linkages etc than i do.

I will send the last few messages to IT and get a reply

thanks

Simon

I'm looking forward to what they have to say.

i think it will be on the lines that the demo platform is not on such a high processing system as the live unit

if this is the case then we may have to change the demo trade acceptance criteria to take into account slower engine processing

4ex

demo platform order fills
the reason that there is slippage on some order fills on the demo platform is that the system is diliberately set up to fill on the first price that triggers the order. i.e most demos will just fill at your order price no matter what has happened (Non Farm Payroll, Inflation, GDP data etc).

This is to avoid claims from clients who might use a demo platform that just fills exactly at a requested price all the time only to discover when they go live that there are ocassional slips. The regulators might say that we were selling a platform on unrealistic expectations.

As commentators have mentioned (on this thread) on the live platform the vast majority of orders are filled at exactly the price requested (even if there might have been a reasonable excuse to slip a bit) this is because the demo is just automatic but the live has a certain amount of dealer oversight and we are really not bothered by a pip here or there. but we must retain control especially over data releases.

Simon

Has anyone tried IG's new useful tool called "insight" ?.
It is on top right hand side corner.

When are you going to introduce a tool like that, Capitals?

Most of this is already on our platform via the 'Trading Tools' button

Capital Spreads trading tools

Financial Calendar/
Market Data/
Tech Analysis/
Comment/
Training/
Market Squawk/
Heatmaps.

Oddly enough we are launching a 'client position' feature soon (we used to have it on one of our partner platforms).

The Market Data is due a big revamp in the very near future as well

We do not tend to 'brand' any of this as we like to show that the information is provided completely independently of Capital Spreads (apart from Comment)

Simon

good question

i will go and ask!

simon

problems ... test account dropped out at 16.34 yesterday .. no message to servers so computers did not attempt an auto start . still trying to find out why

this was sorted this afternoon

i might point out that the Capital Spreads live site acheived well over 99% live availablity in 2011 (in fact i think it was over 99.9%) . As i continually point out the demo is on lower spec servers and does not have active support from our customer support or dealers. It is really there for beginners to understand the mechanics of SB/margin trading/leverage/Capital Spreads stop policy etc. Some use it for trade testing purposes to check up on back test ideas.

we have some people who just use it for fun and have been trading on it for years.

But live platform it is not and never will be. if there is a problem we will not see it as quickly as we would on the live servers.

if you want to check out the performance of the live site i would suggest you open a very small account (with maybe a couple of hundred quid) and see how it operates. Demo platforms will never completely match live because the decisions you make when there is real money at stake will always be more 'tense' than those using demo funds.

Never confuse profits made on a demo system with reality! with no pressure it is much easier to make money.

Simon

Finally having a go with CS's trailing stops. So many books for novices say these are the greatest aid to humanity but I have not until now found a way to automate them. Hoping for good experiences compared with manual order levels.

this was sorted this afternoon

i might point out that the Capital Spreads live site acheived well over 99% live availablity in 2011 (in fact i think it was over 99.9%) . As i continually point out the demo is on lower spec servers and does not have active support from our customer support or dealers. It is really there for beginners to understand the mechanics of SB/margin trading/leverage/Capital Spreads stop policy etc. Some use it for trade testing purposes to check up on back test ideas.

we have some people who just use it for fun and have been trading on it for years.

But live platform it is not and never will be. if there is a problem we will not see it as quickly as we would on the live servers.

if you want to check out the performance of the live site i would suggest you open a very small account (with maybe a couple of hundred quid) and see how it operates. Demo platforms will never completely match live because the decisions you make when there is real money at stake will always be more 'tense' than those using demo funds.

Never confuse profits made on a demo system with reality! with no pressure it is much easier to make money.

Simon
I don't know why Simon, but I kind of agree with you these days.:)

Yes, a demo platform is only good for getting to know the platform and for some minor testing, nothing else. In fact staying on the demo platform too long will probably hurt you in live trading. I like it, don't waste too much energy on the demo platform, put these valuable resources on the live platform instead.

It is also quite noticeable that the only complains these days on this thread is regarding the demo platform, not a single complain for ages on problems trading on the live platform. This is a good sign indeed, and shows you are progressing in the right direction. This corresponds well to my own experience this past year trading with Capitalspreads.

tomorton

trailing stops are great for making sure that you do not lose out on a winning position BUT I personally have problems with them (which is one reason we delayed developing them same as with Gtee Stops).

the real problem i have with them is that you are almost certain to never have a long term position that makes you a large sum as, even in the biggest of bull rusn (or bear moves, there is always a small pull back of some kind. If you have set a trailing stop then you will hardly ever make the big plays. On the other hand they are excelent for those traders who do not 'trust themselves' and who seem to blow profits through lack of action.

In general an undiciplined trader would be very well advised to use them

but i know that some clients love them.

Simon

PS gle101 ... i am starting to worry now! I might try to find out who you are!

tomorton

trailing stops are great for making sure that you do not lose out on a winning position BUT I personally have problems with them (which is one reason we delayed developing them same as with Gtee Stops).

the real problem i have with them is that you are almost certain to never have a long term position that makes you a large sum as, even in the biggest of bull rusn (or bear moves, there is always a small pull back of some kind. If you have set a trailing stop then you will hardly ever make the big plays. On the other hand they are excelent for those traders who do not 'trust themselves' and who seem to blow profits through lack of action.

Simon

Really, I thought you already knew, anyway I do think you doing a great job being on this thread year after year (for that you receive a lot of credit from me). We sure do have a different opinion in some matters, but overall I go along with what you're saying about things that is of concern to traders.

It is also quite noticeable that the only complains these days on this thread is regarding the demo platform, not a single complain for ages on problems trading on the live platform.

Just wait until they introduce a 1pt Dow! :)

tomorton

Simon

Thanks Simon. Yes, I'm quite at ease with being stopped out early in an emerging trend, my aim will be to ensure I am stopped out by the pull-backs that are big enough to allow me to re-enter when the trend shows a sign of resuming, but not by minor potholes in the road. I believe in logging trades to draw useful lessons, and think I might just start a thread on T2W for the purpose.