Best Thread Capital Spreads

So many people use the DMA vs SBing argument as a reason to excuse their losses and therefore the chance to develop and move forward on their trading journey is lost.

Steve.

Agree with above. A decent trader should be able to make money in almost any market using any reputable trading medium. It seems to me that so many people think that there is a "Holy Grail" and it is just a question of finding it or yet another system.

Reminds me rather of the medieval alchemists - they never did get there did they?

Last edited:

it is the never ending seach for the last pip/tick.... I have a favorite saying for my dealers when they are looking for another few pips before putting a hedge on (or take one off) ..." don't be a dick for a tick"

There will always be another opportunity. If you want to be out .. then get out .. hovering over the trade button looking for that elusive pip will (in the end) lose you more than it will ever win.

Simon

various stupid statements

amazing

nobody can actually come up with an actual event where LCG/CS closed out a client position on an unverifiable trade price (versus the real underlying market) and yet this kind of gumph gets spouted about all the time.

Please give us an example of a real trade where LCG 'manipulated' the market (and I do not mean some stupid misquote)

professor

"yes i called them and i spoke to a lady who told me that trades trade on their prices. And opening prices may spike and all the nonsense they told me"

ummmm...... please tell me what is wrong with this statement... yes you trade on our prices and yes opening equity prices may be wide, which is a perfectly truthful statement (if you dont like the price dont trade on it !!) but all these quotes are taken from the real prices on the underlying exchange.. so who is cheating who? Blame "the market" not Capital Spreads.

CS does not "make up prices", as we say over, and over, and over (and over) again we must reference every price we quote with the bid/offer on the real EXCHANGE market (as does every other SB and CFD provider).

This idea that the SB companies hunt out your stop and then reverse the market just shows how ill informed you are about 'the market' . We quote over 3000 markets. .... do you think we have either the time, the inclination, or the market POWER to move a product just enough to execute your stop...do you realise how much volume must be transacted in most markets to move it just 1 pip?

Prices on our platform just reflect the clean unadulterated truth of the real market.... and i am sorry if that price takes out the stop on your position but frankly that is trading.

Simon

Problem is because so many lose money trading and get angry about it the Spread betting company is an easy targget for their anger.

I have lost count of he amount of times I have seen it written on bb's that the sb company spiked the Dow out of hours to stop me out only to see that the Dow emini spiked as well!

I always check the "real" market if I get a suspect quote and most times it is right and if it is not when ever I have phoned the sb company they have corrected it.

What a lot of people forget is if the sb companys price was to far away from the underlying market they could lose a lot of money with peole arbritraging.

Not saying they are perfect either and probably would not use them if I was taking advantages of tiny price moves but agree with Simon many complaints I see just don't add up.

a classic example this morning

CME increased margins on silver (yet again) presumably forcing brokers to liquidate quite a few commodity client positions on the open

result.... a sharp spike lower in both gold on silver on the futures exchanges as an exchange created move ran full tilt into virtually zero liquidity.

Seconday result.... our clients being stopped out and then complaining that Capital Spreads "moved the market!".

The problem is that with all spikes we do not know until well after the event if the spike was a "misquote" spike, an "illiquidity" spike or an actual "real dramatic move in the markets" spike. In the first case clients will be recompensed and trades reversed. In the second two cases the market events are real and therefore impact our clients as well.

Simon

just had a personal query concerning availabiilty of iphone/ipad/android apps.

Capital Spreads has all these apps available for clients to trade now (if they wish)

to be honest i generally use these apps to follow positions/markets when i am away from my screens rather than actually trading from them... but, in extremis, it is better to have the availability to do something, if you have to, than not.

Simon

a classic example this morning

CME increased margins on silver (yet again) presumably forcing brokers to liquidate quite a few commodity client positions on the open

result.... a sharp spike lower in both gold on silver on the futures exchanges as an exchange created move ran full tilt into virtually zero liquidity.

Seconday result.... our clients being stopped out and then complaining that Capital Spreads "moved the market!".

The problem is that with all spikes we do not know until well after the event if the spike was a "misquote" spike, an "illiquidity" spike or an actual "real dramatic move in the markets" spike. In the first case clients will be recompensed and trades reversed. In the second two cases the market events are real and therefore impact our clients as well.

Simon

I have used TF/LCG for over a year now and have never felt like I was being cheated or had my stops hunted.

This was not the feeling when I was with IG Markets.

I have no affiliations with LCG or IG.

I had several big silver trades stopped out over the weekend due to my own stupidity!

Silver is and will continue to be extremely volatile for a few months IMO, but it is on the way up, possibly to triple digits.

Well, I have accounts with CapitalSpreads, SpreadCo, WorldSpreads and IG.
I mainly trade with CS and when I see a spike on CS platform I go and check with other brokers. All the time it's the same story... there's a spike in the underlying market.

As correctly mentioned above, when people lose the spread betting company becomes a scapegoat.
It's human nature... it's always somebody's else fault.

Well, I have accounts with CapitalSpreads, SpreadCo, WorldSpreads and IG.company becomes a scapegoat.

What do you think of Spreadco? Could be good if the platform didn't have silly faults, like different prices showing in orders and positions windows, no attached orders and bizarre candlestick charts that change level after each bar forms. Update promised months ago still not materialised.

What do you think of Spreadco? Could be good if the platform didn't have silly faults, like different prices showing in orders and positions windows, no attached orders and bizarre candlestick charts that change level after each bar forms. Update promised months ago still not materialised.

Well, I use SpreadCo account as they have the best spreads... with 5-6 points spread on FTSE100 at night I find it too expensive, SpreadCo have 2.8.
On the other hand their platform is a joke, so many problems and it's virtually impossible to analyse the graphs. You can't even put a stop loss when opening a trade.
I use CS to get the entry/exit levels and then place order on different accounts.

Talked to somebody at SpreadCo and they mentioned that they are testing the changes and everything should be in place by July... fingers crossed.

Well, I use SpreadCo account as they have the best spreads... with 5-6 points spread on FTSE100 at night I find it too expensive, SpreadCo have 2.8.
On the other hand their platform is a joke, so many problems and it's virtually impossible to analyse the graphs. You can't even put a stop loss when opening a trade.
I use CS to get the entry/exit levels and then place order on different accounts.

Talked to somebody at SpreadCo and they mentioned that they are testing the changes and everything should be in place by July... fingers crossed.

btw, GFT has trailing stops.

Yeah, Saturn Trader easily wins the award for Most Confusing Platform. Apart from anything else, I can't see how they can get away with showing different prices in different windows. Seems like deliberately supplying misleading information, so why don't the FSA stamp on them?

You can put a stop on when you open a trade, but you have to pay extra spread and set it so far away that it's of little practical use. Not holding my breath for the platform update. Last year they said it was going to be March...

btw, GFT has trailing stops.

Yeah, Saturn Trader easily wins the award for Most Confusing Platform. Apart from anything else, I can't see how they can get away with showing different prices in different windows. Seems like deliberately supplying misleading information, so why don't the FSA stamp on them?

You can put a stop on when you open a trade, but you have to pay extra spread and set it so far away that it's of little practical use. Not holding my breath for the platform update. Last year they said it was going to be March...

Hmmm. didn't really notice different prices in different windows... will double check.

I might not be holding my breath for the updates as well but I think if they don't deliver them soon they will be in trouble.
I really think they need to get their platform right to become a real player.

Hmmm. didn't really notice different prices in different windows... will double check.

Seems to be something to do with using the same platform for CFDs and the 0.8pt spread SB markets started last year. For instance, on US30 the price in the orders box is 2pt away from the positions box, and because of that the 'distance away' fig is wrong. The candlestick charts show one price when a bar is forming, which then jumps down to the other price on completion. Hours of entertainment.:)

Seems to be something to do with using the same platform for CFDs and the 0.8pt spread SB markets started last year. For instance, on US30 the price in the orders box is 2pt away from the positions box, and because of that the 'distance away' fig is wrong. The candlestick charts show one price when a bar is forming, which then jumps down to the other price on completion. Hours of entertainment.:)

I guess I've never noticed it as I get the entry/exit levels from other platforms and on SpreadCo I just place orders and execute the trades.
I know SpreadCo are monitoring this forum so it will be interesting to know what they make of it...
They are too conservative and not very eager to make significant changes... it's a shame really...

I know SpreadCo are monitoring this forum so it will be interesting to know what they make of it...They are too conservative and not very eager to make significant changes... it's a shame really...

Do you, how do you know this? Start a spreadco thread if you want to pump them, this thread is for Capital Spreads issues/service..who are spreadco a white label of, do you know?

Do you, how do you know this? Start a spreadco thread if you want to pump them, this thread is for Capital Spreads issues/service..who are spreadco a white label of, do you know?

LOL... Black Swan with his comment again.... LOL.
Black Swan, please read the last few posts between me and Ross before commenting...

SpreadCo are not a white label of anybody... do some research.

LOL... Black Swan with his comment again.... LOL.
Black Swan, please read the last few posts between me and Ross before commenting...

SpreadCo are not a white label of anybody... do some research.

Really? Oh ok..if you say so it must be correct..:D

I was trying to emphasise that it's much easier to trade with CS...
Quick and easy platform.
On the trade it's so simple to specify stop loss and limit stop... I like the idea that you can specify the difference in pips/points, rather than entering actual values (it takes much less time to enter stop loss as 25 rather than something like 1.48866).