Best Thread Capital Spreads

Kathryn,

Thanks for replying, unfortunately I have already deleted them so I am unable to let you see them. If it happens again I will save them.

Paul

Re the other SB board 'who was at the City Index Seminar'

now we know how to win these Shares / Investors Chronicle magazine popularity contests !!

Not surprisingly we would also like to win the SB company of the year contest so our offer to our clients is.... Vote for us and we will arrange for the Stringfellows Lapdancers / Chippendales (cross out for your preference) to do absolutely nothing at all.

This exclusive offer is open to all our clients on payment of a large sum into my personal bank account.

If you do want to express your 'honest' opinion to these publications, please do, we will do nothing more than continue to offer our tight prices and superb customer relations.

Simon

Last edited:
Your best bet would be to make an official complaint to the magazine in question.

Paul

Virus generators usually pick sender and recipient at random and shoot them off in a way that fools the recipient into thinking that it has come from the "apparent" sender. If you know what to look for in the header, youcan tell it was in fact NOT sent from the "sender's" computer.

CS,
I just singed up with your firm and am pleasantly surprised at the courtesy and helpfulness of your dealers. I only hope that once established you guys will not follow other sb companies in being arrogant and rude.
Easy platform to use, one gripe -, once an order is placed there is no facility to cancel before being filled.
keep up the godd service.
rgds

G

gullible

you cannot actually cancel a stop but you can move it by clicking on the 'order book' in the customer account areas at the top of the page and then clicking on 'amend' next to the stop and then changing the level .

simon

Simon,

I am not referring to stops/limit orders. I am referring to actual live trade being placed. I have an account with another SB company and their software gives a you a chance to cancel the order before being filled. I have to accept that sometimes you have to real fast to cancel your actual order.
Another difference is that with that particular SB company you can trade major indices (DJIA, FTSE100, S&P500 & NASDAQ 100) 24 hours Monday -Friday (Fri close 9.00) pm and FX you can trade 24/7 Sunday night through to Fri 9.00 pm.
I know I lead a sad life.

rgds

gullible

Hey, Gullible, I thought the idea of a good SB co. was a fast fill......as opposed to a delay of a few seconds so they can get a chance to "re-quote"........
Surely, if you hit the button, you want the trade..... If you make a mistake, we all make them from time to time....like doubling your position instead of closing out . :eek:

Hi Chartman,
very occasionally the instrument moves by 20-30 or even 40 points within seconds, and you want to be able to quickly cancel your order and place another at a favourable price.
That's all, but i agree one clicks the mouse with a firm conviction, and if one is wrong gets out at the earliest opportunity with major portion of trading account intact - live to fight another day.

I’ve been considering opening an account with Capital Spreads, but taking a scan across the market, they seem to be some way behind the innovations of competitors who are offering big advantages:-

·3 point spreads on major FX pairs/ no spread at all on VOD from one enterprising company.

·Guaranteed stops (slippage can be a major hazard and I now see that CS have a new ‘warning’ on their frontpage “stoplosses are automatically allocated with every bet that you make but are not guaranteed – you may lose more than your initial deposit” – apparently small SB’s with low-capitalisation are not allowed by the FSA to guarantee stops, as it could undermine their financial position.......so the 'punter' pays instead.....)

·24hr trading – quite an advantage for covering ‘after hours’ trading moves in US markets/Asian markets, and essential for 24hr FX trading (with CS closing at 21.15 you miss all this, and when they open at 7am the market could have gapped over your stop if you held overnight, leaving you with a very unpleasant bill from CS)

Having tried the CS demo platform, I can only observe that it is very basic, cumbersome and apparently underdeveloped (rushed to market..?); hence the comprehensive wishlists frequently posted above – not being able to set your stop/ limit prior to trade entry and not being able to close ‘part’ of your position stick out like sore thumbs….having to use different windows to open/close/ adjust stops & limits does not help……(the automatically allocated stop eats most of your account - dangerous...!)

However, I do like the plain ‘black and white’ price display – constantly flashing reds/greens etc are uneccessary….

The excellent FXCM trading platform might be a suitable model for CS to work towards.

Capital Spreads certainly need a good helpdesk/customer relations and the CEO’s ongoing T2W ‘clinic’ (appreciated….!) to mitigate the considerable shortcomings of the operation.

Over to you Simon………

WOW Tradsmart !!!!! Twould help it thou were to name the competitors whos platforms thy considers to be superior in order we might check out your observations. As for your gripe C S applying a stoploss, well at least this stops newbies getting wiped out completely - unless of course they have opened an account with about £50 - and does it matter if you cant apply a stop loss before you open the trade, for you can do so immediately the trade is executed, so it matters not a jot.

If you are one of the Mega Traders then no doubt there are other platforms that might suit your purpose, but from my experience - yep I am a golden oldie now - C S have introduced spread betting which suits the majority of people.

Will be interested in the reply from Simon.

W Y S I W Y G!!! You pays your money and you takes your choice.

John

Well

a comprehensive telling off

1. we do offer zero spread on vodafone and always have done. Unlike other SB companies all our spreads are permanently tight and not just 'Special Offers' to tempt you in.

2. guaranteed stop losses............. Spread Betting companies make an ABSOLUTE FORTUNE out of 'Guaranteed stop losses' . In the last eight months we have yet to slip ONE client over their funds on deposit . The fact is that if you trade frequently and pay guaranteed costs every time you would have to have a 9/11 every month to make up for the money lost in 'Fees'. In the 'real' world there is no such thing as a guaranteed stop / try asking your broker for one. So, far from costing the Punters Money, our system of rating every client whether big or small the same and instilling the dicipline of stops on all positions actually means that we save them (if only from themselves).

3. I admit we do not quote 24/ 'after hours' but in reality the number of clients who actually trade currencies after 9.15 is very small. Frankly the FX market is controlled by Europe and nearly all moves take place in European market hours. We dont quote asian markets (apart from the Nikkei 225 index) so the fact that we are closed for them is a bit academic.

As has been shown by our own experience and the fact that we have absolutely NO complaints from all of our customers re the application of stops this gives the lie to tradessmarts comments re slippage on opening..
When I say no complaints that is exactly what I mean ( in ten months of trading we have yet to receive a single complaint ) . So I can say that our apparently 'cumbersome' 'rushed out' product seems to outperform our competition and strike the right note with our clients.

4. I am at a loss to see the 'shortcomings' of our operation and as for cumbersome , I can only assume that tradesmart has never actually tried to use some of the competition. Actually time yourself to find a market on our site as opposed to others. Then test the trade time. etc....

5. we quote tighter / as tight prices than every SB company (except for one who beat us on some markets but lose out in other areas (margins / client satisfaction etc)).

6. As for the wish list ... our competion would love to even be at the level of our site so as to be contemplating the requests we are putting up.

But as with everything ....... you pays your money and you takes your choice ......... we cannot please everyone all the time.

By the way our customer services is good because we dont treat our clients rudely / condescendingly / arrogantly not because it 'needs' to be. In fact our systems appear to be so easy to use that we just dont actually receive many calls at all. And I can tell you that all of my staff have worked at other SB companies so we know what we are talking about when we mention 'client satisfaction' and low levels of calls/complaints.

By the way have you actually opened a live account or are you basing all of this off the Demo site.

Ahh well even I am allow a rant sometimes....

Simon

Last edited:
Simon – if that was a “rant” it was a very polite one…..!……and I’m glad that ‘Uncle’ is impressed – I’ll have to check out what mine thinks…….I particularly like the bit “we save them (if only from themselves)”……..LOL……. :LOL:

Thanks for your time in answering my observations, which however stand, and I’m sure that everyone will appreciate that your 'defence' is quite rightly laden with vested interest (not surprisingly….. ;) ) I’ve also posted my comments in the Review section that is accessible from the T2W front page….

Ps Impressions were gleaned from the demo - surely the demo platform is essentially the same as the ‘live’ platform or it would defeat the object….?!

Uncle – see the FXCM platform if you trade forex…..

Thank you for your comments

The Demo site is not an exact copy of the live site (the spreads are wider and there are far fewer markets) it is put up so that potential 'punters' can at least have some idea of the risks being run before going 'live'.

FXCM is not spread betting it is real FX trading / fair enuf they beat us on one spread the EUR/USD by one pip we beat or match them on every other cross that we quote and your profits are tax free with us.

Thank you for pointing out to our clients how good are prices are ...... I could not have done better myself.

We also quote a forward FX price on all our crosses at a general spread of 8 points for as far out as six months. Try and find anyone who comes even close to that.

Regards

Simon

Last edited:
Does anybody know if dividends are taken into account when trading with Capital Spreads?
If they are, I presume you gain the dividend at the ex-dividend date if you are long and pay it if you are short. How does this work in practise?

these trades/ie spread bet are off exchange.you dont own any stock so you have no rights

Dentist is correct,

you have taken a bet not bought the shares. This means that there are no rights to the dividend.

How we get round this is by taking the estimated dividend out of the price before you get the quote. You can see this effect in some shares which have their estimated dividend payable between our september and december contract .. in some cases the december price which should be higher than the september price is actually lower. for example see Barratts.. sep price 598.9 - 602.4 dec price 592.1 - 596.8 (there is an estimated 13p dividend payable in october)

we are about to launch rolling daily bets and in these products you will receive (or pay if you are short) a dividend equivalent sum on ex date (you will not even have to wait for div payment date)

Simon

Thanks Capitalspreads for your explanation and Dentist007 for your reply. There will clearly be quite a difference with how dividend when the rolling daily bets are available.

I have been trying out the Capital Spreads simulator over the past few weeks and I like the platform. I find it easy and straightforward to use and prefer it to those I have tried from your competitors. For this reason and the positive comments I have heard about your service I have decided to open a live account with you today.

One small niggle I do have with the platform is that I would like to be able to see the Stoploss price on the same window as my open positions.

PeteA

thank you for your comments and good luck .

I had not actually thought about having the stops on the page with open positions but I can see that it may be helpful. I will raise it with my IT development team.

Simon

Simon

You quoted this in one of your recent answers

"your profits are tax free with us".

Is such a comment strictly correct. Maybe you should add that your gains are free of tax unless you bet at such a level that the Inland Revenue do not consider it an income; which unless I am completely wrong is still a grey area which can work against you when you come to deal with the tax man regarding income tax and National Insurance.

Kevin