Best Thread Capital Spreads

capitalspreads said:
jklondon
Placing of orders outside of market hours is not currently possible. I will enquire as to the feasability of allowing this but it causes so many arguements that we may not do so.
Simon

Out of interest, why does it cause arguments? Surely, if I place a stop or limit order to buy or sell at a certain price, the market either reaches my price or it doesn't, regardless of when I placed the order. Obviously, gaps can affect me either way, and slippage too, but then they will affect me on all orders, anyway. Or am I missing something (more than possible...)?

Cheers,

Mark

masmit

illiquidity is the problem - a last price is simply that - does not mean trades can occur at that price so the spreadbet company would have issues if they hedge

stevet said:
masmit

illiquidity is the problem - a last price is simply that - does not mean trades can occur at that price so the spreadbet company would have issues if they hedge

Ah, I see. Mind you, this must also be the case where stops and limits on existing positions are concerned, but perhaps they don't want the arguments about missed opportunities...

Thanks,

Mark

Masmit

Isn't this what D4F call a 'contingent' order in their platform?

I think you are correct. An if done order is also referred to as a contingent order. I understand that cmc offer this on their fx platform and possibly cfd platform.

However, they do not offer it on their sb platform. (not the last time I checked anyway, and they said they had no plans to introduce the facility either).

Darren

Steve has it in a nut shell ..... our systems tell us what time any order was placed / amended but ..... human nature being what it is clients would attempt to put profitable orders on the system in non market hours which would then require my traders to check a great swath of order times etc when we opened up in any particular market. ( Although we do apply slippage to orders on opening we do try to be fair when the markets gap )
So to prevent this happening order systems are closed when markets are closed. You may still ring us and place an order with the dealers direct (0207 600 0110)

Simon

JonnyT said:
I wonder why!

JonnyT

I've now become as cynical as you on that one JT- especilly where cmc (spreadbet) are concerned.

Also, strange that my written request to remove some funds from my account with them "must have been lost in the post" when my application to open an account with fxcm was processed the next day- posted in the same post box at the same time. Funny, that!

Simon, hi

I have asked a couple of times (1 PM and 1 open post) about asking if CS would consider reducing the minimum stake size to 50p for newbies. If yes then yes, if no then no, but please do respond?

Many thanks

MT
capitalspreads said:
Steve has it in a nut shell ..... our systems tell us what time any order was placed / amended but ..... human nature being what it is clients would attempt to put profitable orders on the system in non market hours which would then require my traders to check a great swath of order times etc when we opened up in any particular market. ( Although we do apply slippage to orders on opening we do try to be fair when the markets gap )
So to prevent this happening order systems are closed when markets are closed. You may still ring us and place an order with the dealers direct (0207 600 0110)

Simon

Mystical

I am sorry , I meant to answer that one earlier but .....er.... I forgot.

Unfortunately our entire platform has been biult around fixed stake amounts of units of 1 or more. There is a way around it and that is to open a USD account (we will transfer money from GBP account at current spot rate). A 1 USD bet is the equivalent of around 55p depending on the exchange rate.

A bit cumbersome but it does halve (almost) your minimum stake size.

Simon

Capital Spreads,

My only comment/complaint/concern is that the stops are too far away from the market. for my strategy (and my own aversion to loss). When the new enter/stop/limit all in one option is available can we have tighter spreads?

a0-0b

Simon

Just wondering if there are any plans afoot to offer commodity options with Capital Spreads? A few of the other SB companies offer them but they dont have any way of getting a price unless you phone them and thats quite a waste of time for me and them if you're getting quotes for various strikes/months/products and then dont make a trade :eek: If there was an online quote request it'd be really really useful and you wouldn't have to be constantly making prices realtime for everything.
Thanks
Minx

a0-0b said:
Capital Spreads,

My only comment/complaint/concern is that the stops are too far away from the market. for my strategy (and my own aversion to loss). When the new enter/stop/limit all in one option is available can we have tighter spreads?

a0-0b
Of course i meant tighter stops!! (but tighter spreads would not be unwanted :))

minx
it is unikely that any SB company will ever make online commodity options because the underlying markets are a) completely illiquid and b) open outcry
this means that any price that was offered by the SB company would be based upon yesterdays volatilty levels and also the closing vols tend to be manipulated by the market makers anyway.

this would expose the SB to quoting (in all good faith) a price that may be completely wrong. Very nice for a client who is in the know, but apt to cause arguments.

This is slightly accademic anyway as we do not quote any options at all and (at this time) have no plans to do so. Sorry.

a0-0b

we have moved the minimum stop/limit levels in all the uk shares to 2p or less (which is generally inside the spread) if there are any products that we have stops too far away please send us an e-mail and we will look at them (unfortunately with 3400 markets we may miss some)

Simon

Dear Jim

Please, please, please fix it for me to.............

Have if done orders at Capital spreads.

Seriously Simon, please tell me that it's almost here. Iv'e been patiently waiting for months.

Please feel free to jingle jangle, joolry joolry in your reply :LOL:

PS, anyone under the age of 30 will probably think I'm some kind of nutter as they may well not have experienced the saturday night wonder of Jim'll fix it. (for you, and you and you and you-hoooooooooooooooooo........)

capitalspreads said:
we have moved the minimum stop/limit levels in all the uk shares to 2p or less (which is generally inside the spread) if there are any products that we have stops too far away please send us an e-mail and we will look at them (unfortunately with 3400 markets we may miss some)
I'm looking at forex, cable spread is 5(daily) and the stop distance is 15 from current market. So if i buy @ 1.8000, my closest stop is 1.7980. Thats a minimum loss of 20 points. I know cable is pretty volatile but (particularily with ifDone) a closer stop would be appreciated.

I understand at the minute people could complain about stops getting hit because of sudden moves in volatile markets just after they apply the stop, so wide stops limit you're "hassle-factor", but with ifDone, if the market moved you would not allow the order to be placed (would you?) so the argument is not really applicable there.

a0-0b

Cs !

The support at capital spreads is excellent!

I've been learning the ropes with them for a while now, and despite the fact that i am almost always making the minimum trades allowed, and therefore not really a "valuable" customer, their customer support has been absolutely amazing. Even to the extent that they refunded 20p to my account (i'm sure there taking the pi$$ out of me in the office for that one :)).
Moving money in and out of the account is easy, and hassle free.

I'm back to paper trading now until the ifDone is available (hopefully not long). Then i'll be closing all my other accounts and putting my eggs in the cs basket.

Don't won't to blow their horn too much, but i'd be moaning if they messed up, so i though i'd rave a little when they get it right !!.

a0-0b

P.S. The minimum stop i mentioned earlier has been moved, anothe example of their great service!

Opened an account with CS a couple of months ago. A little tester account. A quick telephone call for a chat and some questions before I opened the account. The telephone was answered promptly and all questions answered fully. I was not rushed at all and even had time to chat a little. Try chatting when you call some of the other companies :)

The account opening was all done online and was quick and simple. Up and runnng within 12 hours.

Impressions so far are very good. System is easy to use, spreads are competetive and product range is good. Would like to see auto rollover on daily equity products or the option to select rollover by product when a trade is opened.

As the account size is small (it is a tester after all) the £1 minimum trade is not very good for trading the indices as it blows stake sizing and proper capital management out of the window. Decided today to take up the suggestion of converting the account to a US Dollar account. The advantage of this is that you still trade in a minimum of one unit but the unit is a dollar (approx 54p). For smaller accounts this will significantly aid stake sizing when trading the indices or forex. Phoned customer service and spoke with Rachel (who was very helpful) and about 40 mins later had a US dollar account that was live and funded from my GBP account. Transfers between accounts are done at the current spot rate. You will have some currency exposure using this method but I consider this a small price to pay for the benefits of being able to use a smaller stake size and if you are careful with your timing of transfers between accounts then you can use the exchange rate to your advantage.

To summarise, my experience of using Capital Spreads has been good. All contact (email or phone) has been dealt with or answered promply. The trading platform has been reliable and the I have had no problems with prices.

So far its beating the pants off the others I have used.

darrenf and others

if done orders are being worked on as i write as are daily rolling bets. Unfortunately IT upgrades are the one area of CS where I am at the mercy of others . ... all I can say is that we are as anxious as our clients to get the upgrades in place .

thanks for the comments guys ,

good luck today , looks like difficult times are back

Simon

Capitalspreads,

I received 2 emails from your company both of which had virus email attachments and I dont even know where you got my email address from ? Please can you check and update your antivirus software.

Paul

Dear Paul

Our mail servers have 2 anti virus software. One updates everyday, the other updates every 6 hours. The mail servers are also scanned everyday. I have made a check and no virus are on the servers.

Please would we see the email so we can work out exactly where the mail came from. Last week, we had a few claiming to be from microsoft, hotmail and yahoo but on closer inspection found that the mail server were not microsoft, yahoo or hotmail.

Kathryn

Trader333 said:
Capitalspreads,

I received 2 emails from your company both of which had virus email attachments and I dont even know where you got my email address from ? Please can you check and update your antivirus software.

Paul