Best Thread Capital Spreads

sanity

if you read most of the threads on the spread betting site you will see hundreds of comments like this from Pipstar. Basically he is one of this people who seems to hate Spread Betting companies (i assume he lost heavily years ago). He continually comments about Capital Spreads even though he has never (by his own admission) ever had an account with us!
In reality the charts from the spread betting companies are at least as good as any broker (in fact a lot better than most). But you must remember that the charts are from 'our quotes' rather than from actual trades

Simon

Yes Simon, I totally agree. Wild sweeping comments like this are clearly incorrect, and just shows ignorance. There is no reason for any company to hold back charting prices, and most, given the delay from the exchange, through to the price engine and up to the charts probably max out the delay in the UK to 100-200ms assuming the client has a decent connection and the data isn't polled...... Most of the time, it would be around 40-80ms. Suggest if people have these wild claims about any company then they should be backed up with some proof.

Yes Simon, I totally agree. Wild sweeping comments like this are clearly incorrect, and just shows ignorance. There is no reason for any company to hold back charting prices, and most, given the delay from the exchange, through to the price engine and up to the charts probably max out the delay in the UK to 100-200ms assuming the client has a decent connection and the data isn't polled...... Most of the time, it would be around 40-80ms. Suggest if people have these wild claims about any company then they should be backed up with some proof.
A lot of traders do not use the SB charts, not that I think they are lagging, but as Simon correctly pointed out they do not 100% reflect the moment of the real market. Some traders include myself like to have the real market charts while trading SB. Maybe that is what pipstar was referring to meaning the charts are slow.

sanity
if you read most of the threads on the spread betting site you will see hundreds of comments like this from Pipstar. Basically he is one of this people who seems to hate Spread Betting companies (i assume he lost heavily years ago). He continually comments about Capital Spreads even though he has never (by his own admission) ever had an account with us!
In reality the charts from the spread betting companies are at least as good as any broker (in fact a lot better than most). But you must remember that the charts are from 'our quotes' rather than from actual trades
Simon

What bull****!!! And you are wrong on all counts with your stupid assumptions. Show me where I have said that I have never traded with CS. You just made this up. I have not lost at spreadbetting, quite to the contrary. I have an account with Capital Spreads although not active for some time. And I have made with Capital Spreads a nice sum and although I will not say how much it is in the tens of thousands. Of course it eventually stopped because you don't like winners so I moved on. But I am entitled to share my experiences just as much as you are entitled to defend your bucketshop. I just hope that you get the facts right.

Going back to the charts issue, I don't know one serious trader who would use a chart from a spreadbetting company. They would open accounts with SB but as a general rule, they would use a more dynamic chart. I was just stating a fact.

What bull****!!! And you are wrong on all counts with your stupid assumptions. Show me where I have said that I have never traded with CS. You just made this up. I have not lost at spreadbetting, quite to the contrary. I have an account with Capital Spreads although not active for some time. And I have made with Capital Spreads a nice sum and although I will not say how much it is in the tens of thousands. Of course it eventually stopped because you don't like winners so I moved on. But I am entitled to share my experiences just as much as you are entitled to defend your bucketshop. I just hope that you get the facts right.

Going back to the charts issue, I don't know one serious trader who would use a chart from a spreadbetting company. They would open accounts with SB but as a general rule, they would use a more dynamic chart. I was just stating a fact.

Apart from the rant..I have to agree with Pipstar
Yes, the broker charts are based on real prices, but an entry off a pattern for example, or a break of a trend line..this needs to be as precise as possible. Not broker data, but real data will only confirm to me that a trend line broke, or even a break out off key resistance.I certainly do pay alot for good quality data. Its not about trust, its just about accuracy.
If I want to play pool for the league, you dont see me picking up a pub cue, even though Im playing in a pub..bad analogy but you get what I mean

A lot of traders do not use the SB charts, not that I think they are lagging, but as Simon correctly pointed out they do not 100% reflect the moment of the real market. Some traders include myself like to have the real market charts while trading SB. Maybe that is what pipstar was referring to meaning the charts are slow.

Absolutely correct. What more can I say? We are not CEO's of spreadbet companies so we both live in the real world :cheesy:

FreeStockCharts.com - Web's Best Streaming Realtime Stock Charts - Free

I use them. Pretty good. A serious trader should really use an inderpendant charting package as they offer far more options then what a broker provides, as well as adding a bit more transparency to what your doing (checking prices etc etc)

SB/Broker charts however are perfectly acceptable for your average man on the street who needs to look at price. No doubt if CS were purposely slowing down prices, clients would simply move to one of the many other spread betting firms out there. But we all know this is not the case!

Last edited:
Hey guys, just had a pretty awful experience with Capital Spreads, well actuall the 2nd in as many months.

Today I was long a market at the US open and when it reached my target profit target I tried to close the position, the Capital platform was showing all markets closed so was unable to do this, gave it a few minutes to show as open but no luck, called their dealing desk and it just rang out. When the Capital Spreads reopened shortly after the market had reversed as I thought it would and my position was very negative. I sent an email without reply as yet and called their customer support line. They confirmed their feed was down for a while but refused to scratch my trade, even though they agreed that I was unable to manage my position.

I think that this is an incredulous, poor response and is worthy of a name and shame so you can decide if this is the type of company you wish to deal with.

I have asked them to escalate the complaint and will post their response.

Hey guys, just had a pretty awful experience with Capital Spreads, well actuall the 2nd in as many months.

Today I was long a market at the US open and when it reached my target profit target I tried to close the position, the Capital platform was showing all markets closed so was unable to do this, gave it a few minutes to show as open but no luck, called their dealing desk and it just rang out. When the Capital Spreads reopened shortly after the market had reversed as I thought it would and my position was very negative. I sent an email without reply as yet and called their customer support line. They confirmed their feed was down for a while but refused to scratch my trade, even though they agreed that I was unable to manage my position.

I think that this is an incredulous, poor response and is worthy of a name and shame so you can decide if this is the type of company you wish to deal with.

I have asked them to escalate the complaint and will post their response.

Issue resolved to my satisfaction

Issue resolved to my satisfaction

Good, Im sure if there systems are at fault, they would come clean.
I had a similar experience with ETX, and it could esily have been the firewall that was at fault but they were still able to amend my position, in my favour!

Pipstar

Apologise if you did have an account with us . i seemed to remember that you said you did not... obviously my mistake. Maybe you said you had an account a long time ago.

To be honest if you made 10's thousands off us i am surprised at your apparent hatred of all things spread betting.

Can you honestly say that you have ever posted on this thread with a positive statement.

Charts

real trade data can be just as difficult as SB trade chart info. often trade data (especially on equities) can be confusing as even a trade for 1 share will create a print. so a chart just showing the bid side or the offer side (or even the mid point) might be considered by many to be rather more informative that simple trade data.

The one major thing that Spread Betting charts do not help with is any volume data or charting analysis that use volume in their composition ... many dealers use this type of analysis to identify support/resistance and target levels.

In summary i would say that on the area of price related charts (and analysis based upon them) most SB charting systems are reasonably usable by any dealer but in other areas they are lacking.

SImon

I am finding the EURUSD to be intermittent i.e. many "call" in the size box. It was fine in the morning but started perhaps an hour or so ago.

I am finding the EURUSD to be intermittent i.e. many "call" in the size box. It was fine in the morning but started perhaps an hour or so ago.

its very intermittent on my tradefair platform to twinj, keeps closing then re-opening, obv some technical issue.

Thanks for pointing this out the dealers were quite busy and had not noticed it

it is not actually freezing just going closed for a second or so.

we are looking at the issue now with our price engine engineers

i would love to be able to say that it was volatility but the currencies are hardly leaping around at the moment

Simon

Last edited:
tar
the issue was that our feeds were creating latent backwardations on the price engines. Whenever we get a backwardation the system goes to 'market suspended' as it normally means there is a problem on the exchange.... this can be seen in equity markets in periods of high volatility or when we have the wierd FTSE option expiry "20 min suspension" at 10.10am (i think) on third friday of every month.

Simon

Reactions: tar