Best Thread Capital Spreads

But dont some of the spread bet firms make 'donations' to the political parties?

Tax on SB's? It isn't going to happen! I think it's what they call 'a powerful lobby'!

Stewart Wheeler from IG has been one of the Tory's biggest donors.

Vote tight spreads, go blue!

Apologies if I am missing something obvious but on the Capital Spreads site the closing prices on Friday for some stocks seem out of whack with where they really closed- eg
Rio Tinto closed at 2618 yet are quoted as closing at 2577 - 2583 on the CS site. There are others too, yest some of the prices match up well.
As I say, I must be missing something, I like capital spreads, but what is the explanation? Rio is a long way off.

Thanks

Ah! But some don't charge commission on indices, which is where I am getting to.
There's no advantage there.

Eduardo.

Without wanting to divert this thread even further away from the capital spreads topic that we seem to be wandering. However, Activetrades DO NOT charge commission on CFD's they make their cash from the spread they charge.

Message for Simon

Dear Simon,

I opened an account with Paddy Power just over a week ago and understand that the system is provided by Capital Spreads. I am about even at the moment so have no other reason to tell you the problems/issue I have with your platform in order that you can try to fix them.

1. If I have an order placed in the market to trigger at a certain price, it will do so but has always been 'in limbo' for a minimum of a minute before it appears in the 'open positions' window.

2. I had a reasonable sell bet in gold open at the end of last week which was in profit at the time I wished to close. It took three attempts to close the position after getting a message stating something along the lines of 'the price was no longer valid'. The third time I closed the position while it was still at around the same profit level as each of the other two occasions. This problem has occurred on a number of occasions with other trades despite only having used your platform for such a short time and on a relatively small number of trades in my opinion.

3. I have traded a few different instruments on your platform and with the 'open positions' window selected, have regularly watched to my horror as the open position I have just disappears completely and then comes back usually within 10-15 seconds. Each time stops are nowhere near the market price and were highly unlikely to have been triggered. You really need to be offering free medical check ups for this one rather than account bonuses. But, 4 is worse...

4. I had an open sell bet position on the 'US 30' last week which was deep in the red as the second day of the big market fall. As an aside, I held the position into the following day and closed at a profit. But, while my account was showing a loss, despite the market not being anywhere near my stop, similar to 3 above, the open position just disappeared. BUT, even worse (and almost a call to 999 not paddy power helpdesk) my account information had updated itself to show a balance as if my trade HAD been closed! I waited patiently for about 2 or 3 minutes for the problem to sort itself out but it only rectified when I logged out and in again. I experienced no other network problems at the time and have tried your system on different networks, and both PC's and Macs to try and work out if the problem was potentially at my end. The best advice I recieved from the Paddy Power helpdesk was that they had not experienced any problems like this before and I should make sure I have got the latest version of Flash.

In terms of your interface, while I do actually like the simplicity and look and feel, there are a couple of functions which come to mind I would like to see changed if I were to continue using the system. I appreciate these are not quick fixes. It is imperative to be able to view your watchlist at the same time as your open positions and orders. I don't believe it is currently possible to do this as everything runs within one window and the time taken to switch between is sometimes a lot longer than should be expected (30 seconds or thereabouts) but I would be happy if you could advise me otherwise. I have had to check another service to keep up to date on what the rest of the market is doing while watching open positions. Also, while we should all have wizard number crunching minds, I find the method of being able to place as many orders as I like without margin required being removed from my account to be a disadvantage. While the advantage is clear, that you can potentially create a big list of orders within the market, for me, the disadvantage, which happened repeatedly to me when I started using Paddy Power with a small account balance to test the water - if you do not have the available margin, the order is triggered and then just disappears. You don't automatically get a message telling you this has happened (unless you access cancelled orders) or a notification to quickly credit your account in order for the position to be filled, even at a different price. I need to see margin removed from 'trading resources' when I place an order. This means I know my trade will be placed which surely has to be best for both of us.

Some will say I shouldn't be trading close to my maximum available margin and I would usually agree but this has been more of a testing exercise for me with a new account not a lose all situation even if my account did zero out.

On the plus side, your charts are excellent, the same provider as IG which is the main reason I thought I would try out trading properly with you. The other main plus point which is in my opinion vital, is that the customer service at Paddy Power is so good, I am honestly shocked on each of 3/4 times I have spoken to them. They have been helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. This is a far cry from the majority of people I have spoken to at other firms who give you the impression their time is gold dust and they are too important to be speaking to you. It could well have something to do with the fact that everyone I have spoken to at Paddy Power has been female which is in my experience not the norm.

I would be happy to come to your office to try to replicate the problems I have experienced, initially as an anonymous person so I can be assured you do not have the facility to correct these mistakes depending on who is trading.

This is also my first post on this board so I hope not to have bored people too much and this (hopefully) reasonably unbiased post can be used as a starting point for Simon to respond on these specific points and others and what action is being taken to change and improve the systems at Capital Spreads. I note that the company has recently started a big advertising campaign on Bloomberg TV. I fear that exposing your system as it stands to a much wider audience without changes being made could result in serious consequences from serious market players.

Yours Sincerely,

The Dawn.

Dear Simon,

I opened an account with Paddy Power just over a week ago and understand that the system is provided by Capital Spreads. I am about even at the moment so have no other reason to tell you the problems/issue I have with your platform in order that you can try to fix them.

1. If I have an order placed in the market to trigger at a certain price, it will do so but has always been 'in limbo' for a minimum of a minute before it appears in the 'open positions' window.

2. I had a reasonable sell bet in gold open at the end of last week which was in profit at the time I wished to close. It took three attempts to close the position after getting a message stating something along the lines of 'the price was no longer valid'. The third time I closed the position while it was still at around the same profit level as each of the other two occasions. This problem has occurred on a number of occasions with other trades despite only having used your platform for such a short time and on a relatively small number of trades in my opinion.

3. I have traded a few different instruments on your platform and with the 'open positions' window selected, have regularly watched to my horror as the open position I have just disappears completely and then comes back usually within 10-15 seconds. Each time stops are nowhere near the market price and were highly unlikely to have been triggered. You really need to be offering free medical check ups for this one rather than account bonuses. But, 4 is worse...

4. I had an open sell bet position on the 'US 30' last week which was deep in the red as the second day of the big market fall. As an aside, I held the position into the following day and closed at a profit. But, while my account was showing a loss, despite the market not being anywhere near my stop, similar to 3 above, the open position just disappeared. BUT, even worse (and almost a call to 999 not paddy power helpdesk) my account information had updated itself to show a balance as if my trade HAD been closed! I waited patiently for about 2 or 3 minutes for the problem to sort itself out but it only rectified when I logged out and in again. I experienced no other network problems at the time and have tried your system on different networks, and both PC's and Macs to try and work out if the problem was potentially at my end. The best advice I recieved from the Paddy Power helpdesk was that they had not experienced any problems like this before and I should make sure I have got the latest version of Flash.

In terms of your interface, while I do actually like the simplicity and look and feel, there are a couple of functions which come to mind I would like to see changed if I were to continue using the system. I appreciate these are not quick fixes. It is imperative to be able to view your watchlist at the same time as your open positions and orders. I don't believe it is currently possible to do this as everything runs within one window and the time taken to switch between is sometimes a lot longer than should be expected (30 seconds or thereabouts) but I would be happy if you could advise me otherwise. I have had to check another service to keep up to date on what the rest of the market is doing while watching open positions. Also, while we should all have wizard number crunching minds, I find the method of being able to place as many orders as I like without margin required being removed from my account to be a disadvantage. While the advantage is clear, that you can potentially create a big list of orders within the market, for me, the disadvantage, which happened repeatedly to me when I started using Paddy Power with a small account balance to test the water - if you do not have the available margin, the order is triggered and then just disappears. You don't automatically get a message telling you this has happened (unless you access cancelled orders) or a notification to quickly credit your account in order for the position to be filled, even at a different price. I need to see margin removed from 'trading resources' when I place an order. This means I know my trade will be placed which surely has to be best for both of us.

Some will say I shouldn't be trading close to my maximum available margin and I would usually agree but this has been more of a testing exercise for me with a new account not a lose all situation even if my account did zero out.

On the plus side, your charts are excellent, the same provider as IG which is the main reason I thought I would try out trading properly with you. The other main plus point which is in my opinion vital, is that the customer service at Paddy Power is so good, I am honestly shocked on each of 3/4 times I have spoken to them. They have been helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. This is a far cry from the majority of people I have spoken to at other firms who give you the impression their time is gold dust and they are too important to be speaking to you. It could well have something to do with the fact that everyone I have spoken to at Paddy Power has been female which is in my experience not the norm.

I would be happy to come to your office to try to replicate the problems I have experienced, initially as an anonymous person so I can be assured you do not have the facility to correct these mistakes depending on who is trading.

This is also my first post on this board so I hope not to have bored people too much and this (hopefully) reasonably unbiased post can be used as a starting point for Simon to respond on these specific points and others and what action is being taken to change and improve the systems at Capital Spreads. I note that the company has recently started a big advertising campaign on Bloomberg TV. I fear that exposing your system as it stands to a much wider audience without changes being made could result in serious consequences from serious market players.

Yours Sincerely,

The Dawn.

So welcome to the wonderful world of spread betting. You'll be delighted to know that things can only get worse.:D

"In todays markets 'big money' has its problems. We accept £100 a point on the FTSE, in hours, as a matter of course but, for those of you who actually watch the FTSE future will know, ten contracts are seldom available nowadays on a 1 pip spread."

Really, I use Saxobank, 10 contracts are never a problem, very easy to go as high as 50 contracts without dealer intervention. Spread varies between 0.5 and 1.5.

"In todays markets 'big money' has its problems. We accept £100 a point on the FTSE, in hours, as a matter of course but, for those of you who actually watch the FTSE future will know, ten contracts are seldom available nowadays on a 1 pip spread."

Really, I use Saxobank, 10 contracts are never a problem, very easy to go as high as 50 contracts without dealer intervention. Spread varies between 0.5 and 1.5.

hmm never really considered Saxo after all the apparent bad feedback from fx traders. Will have another look into them.

Are you refering to their futures or cfds?

Cheers

Futures, never had a problem, fills extremely quick, none of the Spreadbetters nonsense, "price no longer valid" which happens when direction you intend taking off and they don't seem to want to take it, On Saxo, the price you click on is the price you get. Simple, quick and efficient imho.

Futures, never had a problem, fills extremely quick, none of the Spreadbetters nonsense, "price no longer valid" which happens when direction you intend taking off and they don't seem to want to take it, On Saxo, the price you click on is the price you get. Simple, quick and efficient imho.

Not really a fair comparison here. 'Price no longer valid' is equivalent to missing a price in futures. Trading futures, you just don't get filled and end up joining the bid of offer if the price has gone by the time your order gets there, or you get done at a worse price.

Pretty mich off topic, but it's highly unlikely that SB will be subject to CGT in the UK. Firstly, there was a review of gambling taxation a couple of years back, whereby financial spreadbetters agreed to an increase in betting duty. Think they currently pay 3% of gross client losses (gross, not net - they can't offset winners). On top of that they pay corporation tax at 28%. Given that CGT is a uniform 18%, why would the treasury want to kill this golden goose? More to the point, if profits were taxable, you'd also be able to offset your losses; as the majority of clients lose this would result in a net loss to the government.

That would be unfair on the good ones like Futuresbetting. It would be much easier to move to them.
I did and have never looked back. Still making losses, but just not so much.

We should start a campaign to have spread betting taxed and drive Simon out of business.:)
If SB is taxed, shouldn't that result in a better spread?:) They have to compete with CFDs anyway, they could also convert to CFDs. It is unlikely that Simon will be out of business.

If SB is taxed, shouldn't that result in a better spread?:) They have to compete with CFDs anyway, they could also convert to CFDs. It is unlikely that Simon will be out of business.

wtf? Of course he can start another business.

Remember Capital Spreads are in business to make money. They don't like giveing out money if they can help it.

They are no diffrent to the Bucket shops of the 1920s...