BT broadband

osho67

I am having broadband from BT for about 2 years and not many problems. I use a router and connect two computer to broadband.

Recently I am having lots of problems with the connection. The connection drops so many times during the day, router indicates weak signals. I have talked to BT technical help and not very helpful.

I think I should change BT and go to some other provider where service is more reliable and technical support is good. Any feedback much appreciated.

Is there anyway I can find what are the problems. Why connection is dropping all the time. All comments much welcome. Thanks

Osho,

The problem could be to do with the router. I came across some info on problems. particularly with Netgear routers (think it was the reviews on Dabs.com).

Try setting up internet connection sharing via windows instead and see if that resolves the problem.

I have used BT for a number of years and have had very few problems

Hi there,

I also have BT Broadband and haven't had any problems recently - maybe it's some other problem?

osho67 said:
I am having broadband from BT for about 2 years and not many problems. I use a router and connect two computer to broadband.

Recently I am having lots of problems with the connection. The connection drops so many times during the day, router indicates weak signals. I have talked to BT technical help and not very helpful.

I think I should change BT and go to some other provider where service is more reliable and technical support is good. Any feedback much appreciated.

Is there anyway I can find what are the problems. Why connection is dropping all the time. All comments much welcome. Thanks

Ok...I assume you have the latest drivers for the modem. if not go here

http://www.btopenworld.com/drivers

Try running it without the router and see what sort of service you get. if its all ok then you know its not BT its your router that needs looking at.

Hope this helps.

Download limits

Even worse is the fact tthat in early 2005 BT boradband will be imposing limits on datra downloads wil will hit traders like us, you will have tio pay more if yoy use more, a rip off. i am therefore looking into switching

ebob said:
Even worse is the fact tthat in early 2005 BT boradband will be imposing limits on datra downloads wil will hit traders like us, you will have tio pay more if yoy use more, a rip off. i am therefore looking into switching
Not too sure Trading uses that much bandwidth to be honest.

Of course, if you like downloading ebooks and large pdfs may well be an issue, but for 'normal' trading purposes I think you'll find max capacity requirements are relatively small.

I don't use BT (directly) so can't comment on Osho's recent probelms.

My ISP sent out a list of exchanges which were having problems recently, perhaps yours was one of those ? If it is this type of issue, you will be scuppered as all broadband ISPs rely on BT eventually....

Stew

Anyone looking at changing their ISP could do a lot worse than the lot i've just switched to , www.freedom2surf.com , after having finally lost patience with virgin.

£22.50 a month for a 512 connection, no restrictions (currently) and free installation/setup if you agree to take the line for a year. Monthly contract, too.

This restriction problem is going to be a real minefield for many people so watch out for the contract term.

For example, I'm with BT Broadband and download about 30-50GB a month so will obviously be switching when/if they impose a limit (I'm with the business account and I don't know if they're going to do anything). But if I switch to ABC Broadband because they have no limit, what happens if 3 months into the contract they put limits on.

I think therefore a 3 month rolling contract or better yet a 1 month is one of the most important factors to concentrate on if you are going to switch to unmetered.

ebob said:

I pay £19.99 per month with BT and currently have a 1Gb download limit per month.

I haven't even reach 20% of that in any month - it's a lot of download.

It sounds to me like you've already decided to leave BT (your choice) but IMO I think they are up there with the best in the market.

Cheers,

sharriss said:
I pay £19.99 per month with BT and currently have a 1Gb download limit per month.

It sounds to me like you've already decided to leave BT (your choice) but IMO I think they are up there with the best in the market.

Cheers,

no the choice was Bt'sby imposing a limit, i run two businesses from my home so it was the final straw i'm looking now for 2meg anyhow as i trade the eminis speed to the exchange/broker is everything

ebob said:
no the choice was Bt'sby imposing a limit, i run two businesses from my home so it was the final straw i'm looking now for 2meg anyhow as i trade the eminis speed to the exchange/broker is everything
ebob - I still think you're confusing capacity/bandwidth with speed.

sharriss said:

Cheers,

Sharriss,

i must say 1gig to me is no way enough. I can do that in a day. BT is becoming greedy as they always do. the promised never to impose download limits but now all the smaller companies are using BT's backbone they want more money so the best way to do that is charge for BW. the moment they impose limits on on a my account i am gone.

Also in an earlier post someone mentioned about changing to another company then 3 months down the line they may impose restrictions. The answer to this is if you are on a 1 year contact they cannot change it half way through its against the law a contact is what it says "terms & conditions" for a set period of time. If they did impose changes half way through your 1 year contact just cancel your subscription, if they try charging you for the rest of the contact tell them you will take them to court, if they can break the original contact by imposing limits why cant you :)....anyway thats the score, i know because i have been through it in a similar situation.

Hope you find that useful

...unless the contract gives them the option of altering any of the T&C of course...which it normally does....

TheBramble said:
...unless the contract gives them the option of altering any of the T&C of course...which it normally does....

Yes buy saying they can change the T&C as and when they see fit. How many people challenge it, not many thats why they put it there and they are also restricted to what they can change. Once people challenge them on this they will agree to honour the contract till the end then make the changes in the new one that you sign.

Carpe

Thanks for the heads up on the contract front.

BT getting greedy well that's a surprise, the B does stand for British after all.

I don't know why more people don't see what I'm seeing, the English are some of the most GREEDY people on the earth right now. All the consumer seems to be there for is to be raped with overpriced goods and services. Whatever happened to value for money or fair trade practices.......

anley said:
Carpe

Thanks for the heads up on the contract front.

BT getting greedy well that's a surprise, the B does stand for British after all.

I don't know why more people don't see what I'm seeing, the English are some of the most GREEDY people on the earth right now. All the consumer seems to be there for is to be raped with overpriced goods and services. Whatever happened to value for money or fair trade practices.......

Well there was something in the press today about the UK being the most expensive for Broadband and boy are they right. The problem with the most people is they will just put up with it. if enough people stood up and said no we are not accepting this and threaten to move there business then they would have no choice but to lower prices etc. but hay dont get me started on that one :)