Brexit - in or out

Not big into politics but watched many over night UK and US election result from Australia.
The markets epp and flow when the results come in, all good fun.

With a vote out.
I think the YEN will fly higher and the USD will get smashed, maybe not against the pound, will hold back there rate rises until the dust settles.
Markets will get smashed around the world, great buy and hold into year end if that happens.

I will just keep my day flutters small on the ASX that day.

Personal view would vote out.
The UK never adopted the currency so never been fully committed.
Plus the EU is just another tier of government that business pay's for.
And don't see any countries in the EU reducing there size of government to allow for the extra work taken on by the EU.

Any way can't vote been left the UK too long.

The killer will be uncertainty, knock on effects and tremours around the globe.

Based on that article link you posted which I thought was fair and balanced, thinking about it, outside of finance and building UK doesn't have much productive capacity.

I concur with layers of government but see it as a necessary evil to coordinate and manage global issues.

I see places without strong government like Africa and Latin American countries and think do we really want to end up like them?

Balance is key. :)

Surely the Exit politicians don't want to win the EU Referendum. They just want the power, but surely nobody wants the slogging and unthanked and unthankable task of negotiating for the next 10 years an acceptable withdrawal from the EU. Exit won't be just like handing your notice in at the office, it means virtually living in Brussels until the last light is turned off in the UK MEPs' offices.

Whatever happens, this whole issue is making me consider bets on political issues. Might as well get some return from all the glib and patronising news reportage. Seriously intend to pump up my bookies account and put a bet on. All sorts of political bets available.

Fact or Fiction?

You can judge but markets will decide!

Dimon joined others who have warned Brexit would push international securities firms to move jobs out of the country because some products can’t be traded outside the EU without specific agreements. Stuart Gulliver, CEO of HSBC Holdings Plc, has said the lender would likely need to move 1,000 investment bankers to Paris because they’re linked to operations governed by EU rules covering everything from derivatives trading to bond pricing.

I have trouble seeing how or why EU would allow banking biz stuff - carrying transaction tax to be executed in London? Any Brexiters in here shouting no they can't??? Scare mongering??? We'll find more trade elsewhere, sod off we don't need you???

Considering the EU is the largest block with the highest GDP in the World (irrespective of the misleading stats and numbers aired about by the Brexiters), London the finance capital of the World will effectively, turn it's back on this biggest market in the World. Lord Sugar says you all must be barmy. Yep I know he has vested interests. I'm sure Dimon has been paid a few bob too as he is in need of some.

With time Frankfurt and Paris who have always had their eye on the great London prize will have it delivered to them on a silver plate.

Absolute freaking madness. But hey knock your selves out. What ever rocks your boat (y)

Fact or Fiction?

You can judge but markets will decide!

Dimon joined others who have warned Brexit would push international securities firms to move jobs out of the country because some products can’t be traded outside the EU without specific agreements. Stuart Gulliver, CEO of HSBC Holdings Plc, has said the lender would likely need to move 1,000 investment bankers to Paris because they’re linked to operations governed by EU rules covering everything from derivatives trading to bond pricing.

I have trouble seeing how or why EU would allow banking biz stuff - carrying transaction tax to be executed in London? Any Brexiters in here shouting no they can't??? Scare mongering??? We'll find more trade elsewhere, sod off we don't need you???

Considering the EU is the largest block with the highest GDP in the World (irrespective of the misleading stats and numbers aired about by the Brexiters), London the finance capital of the World will effectively, turn it's back on this biggest market in the World. Lord Sugar says you all must be barmy. Yep I know he has vested interests. I'm sure Dimon has been paid a few bob too as he is in need of some.

With time Frankfurt and Paris who have always had their eye on the great London prize will have it delivered to them on a silver plate.

Absolute freaking madness. But hey knock your selves out. What ever rocks your boat (y)

Remind me again why we want to be tethered to a continent which has no growth apart from us and Germany?

You're argument just doesn't stack up. The EU is a basket case and it's going nowhere. The risks of remaining aboard this titanic far outweigh those of leaving.

Last edited:
This is how great the EU is. Us and Germany have the lowest unemployment rates and are clearly the most dynamic and desirable places for job opportunities.
We do ok because we are reasonably innovative and hardworking. Germany is similar in this respect but also has the added advantage of a failing Euro currency which helps with their exports.

The PIGS high unemployment is somewhat understandable as they are only holiday destination countries anyhow.:LOL:

The real shocker is France who don't seem able nor capable of dealing with their problems of restrictive labour laws. The migration influx just adds to their problems. It breeds discontent amongst the native population, hence the rise of the far right. Idle hands make for politically exploitable mischief.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/268830/unemployment-rate-in-eu-countries/

Last edited:
Remind me again why we want to be tethered to a continent which has no growth apart from us and Germany?

I'm sure you are mathematical minded enough running your own business, to comprehend that EU has grown around 1% and that the Brexiters are playing fuddy duddy buggers with BRICS storming ahead with 5-11% growth per year in the last two decades. FGS wakeup! China slow down means 6% grown down from 11% last year. This does not mean EU is shrinking. Helllloooooooooooo :idea:

You're argument just doesn't stack up. The EU is a basket case and it's going nowhere. The risks of remaining aboard this titanic far outweigh those of leaving.

What part of the argument doesn't stack up on that piece of news. The worlds biggest and best investment bank CEO comes over to tell you how they will respond to meet client demand and you say argument doesn't stack up???

Not playing politics here mate. Go and argue with him and his clients and convince him it's in his interest to stick two fingers up at the biggest GDP block in the World.

There is a difference between lion hearts, courage and just plain stupidity. The charge of the light brigade was very brave and courageous but a very stupid command. Yes cannons can be taken out by cavalry but at what cost? Yes Britain will prevail but at what cost?

The Titanic was a brilliant effort and work of art and would have been admirable to make the fastest crossing across the Atlantic to beat the Germans but it was stupid to ignore warnings of ice.

This isn't about sound bites as to how great Britain is, this is about real lives and jobs and decades of uncertainty into the future. For the UK, EU and rest of the world.

You need to sit down and think through some of the implications of this highly risky Brexit vote. Otherwise I can see like a fly hitting your windscreen at 70mph and can imagine the last thing that's going to be going through your mind ;)

Tories tombstone will read effed up manufacturing and fluffed away finance. What's left military and building. Good luck with that combination. :mad:

What part of the argument doesn't stack up on that piece of news. The worlds biggest and best investment bank CEO comes over to tell you how they will respond to meet client demand and you say argument doesn't stack up???

Not playing politics here mate. Go and argue with him and his clients and convince him it's in his interest to stick two fingers up at the biggest GDP block in the World.

There is a difference between lion hearts, courage and just plain stupidity. The charge of the light brigade was very brave and courageous but a very stupid command. Yes cannons can be taken out by cavalry but at what cost? Yes Britain will prevail but at what cost?

The Titanic was a brilliant effort and work of art and would have been admirable to make the fastest crossing across the Atlantic to beat the Germans but it was stupid to ignore warnings of ice.

This isn't about sound bites as to how great Britain is, this is about real lives and jobs and decades of uncertainty into the future. For the UK, EU and rest of the world.

You need to sit down and think through some of the implications of this highly risky Brexit vote. Otherwise I can see like a fly hitting your windscreen at 70mph and can imagine the last thing that's going to be going through your mind ;)

Tories tombstone will read effed up manufacturing and fluffed away finance. What's left military and building. Good luck with that combination. :mad:

I couldn't give a tuppeny toss what any of these big corps or institutions say.

All of them, bar none, have a vested interest. Their interests are not aligned to the UK public interest.

Its not really that close though is it ?
There is simply no way Brexit gets more votes

No, but it's a lot closer than the 1/7 stay and 4/1 leave a week or so ago.

Ps: lot of 9/4 about today for leave.

In one way it would be good if UK left and see how it goes alone after all the hyperbole.
Who will Boris and Farage have to blame things on then !!

Alexander Gauland called Merkel a "chancellor-dictator" to applause from the crowd and said Germany's mainstream parties were pursuing a policy of "human flooding", an "attempt to gradually replace the German people with a population coming from all parts of the earth".

The controversy follows hot on the heels of a row last week which saw far-right German group PEGIDA slam pictures of black and Asian children on chocolate bars -- only to discover the photos were of current Germany internationals as youngsters. :LOL: