Brexit - in or out

very few things in more contemporary history have maintained a level of stability and substance for >100 years ??

you have to go back to the good old days of Rome etc etc to get a decent run on things :p

N

Ooookayyyyy ????? :cheesy:

So see if you all count the number of wars England fought against European countries in the last 1000 years on your fingers and toes (assuming you all have them and you may need a few bodies) and call out the number please???

Now... how long has it been since the last war England fought against any other European country?

100 years you say ;)

Is this a gotcha moment? Probably not. We'll have to wait another 30 years but the odds are good. (y)

Ooookayyyyy ????? :cheesy:

So see if you all count the number of wars England fought against European countries in the last 1000 years on your fingers and toes (assuming you all have them and you may need a few bodies) and call out the number please???

Now... how long has it been since the last war England fought against any other European country?

100 years you say ;)

Is this a gotcha moment? Probably not. We'll have to wait another 30 years but the odds are good. (y)

I like what you say and I want to agree with what you say but we have one or two common enemies around the world that are more important.....for the next thirty years? I should say that it would be prudent to stick together.

Thieves tend to fall out, though, and we have a surfeit of those across Europe, wouldn't you agree,?:D

One MAJOR point about the EU is it's stupid policy of insisting on unaminity of all members. And why is this I hear you ask. Well if one of the 27 and soon to be 32 ish members were to accept bribes or acqiess under pressure to veto the EU votes then the whole group would be under the control of an outside power like Russia or the USA. Not a good situation imho.

I like what you say and I want to agree with what you say but we have one or two common enemies around the world that are more important.....for the next thirty years? I should say that it would be prudent to stick together.

Thieves tend to fall out, though, and we have a surfeit of those across Europe, wouldn't you agree,?:D

Nice colours on the flags but how many millions died in the process???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_United_Kingdom

Tout le monde célèbrent l'Europe.
Vive européen

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
:love::love::love::love::love::love:

Nah, that's not important, whereas daring to tell me how big my sausages can be is diabolical so better be off :LOL::LOL:

Apparently, we don't have the biggest.:)

Police reveal that a woman arrested for shoplifting had a whole salami in her underwear.. When asked why, she said it was because she was missing her Italian boyfriend.
(The Manchester Evening News)

So there we have it...a bunch of economists saying we will be better off out. Obvious really, if we are a net contributor to the crazy EU black hole.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36150191

Yes and if you look at their credentials they make up about 4 economists with not much reputation compared to rest of other economists represented by the likes of OECD, Government, IMF, Oxford adn the BoE?

The report's authors include Patrick Minford, a former adviser to Margaret Thatcher, and Gerard Lyons, a former chief economist at Standard Chartered and now an adviser to the London Mayor, Boris Johnson, who is campaigning for Britain to leave the EU.

These sadly desperate four economists make up the first time any economist has come out in defence of a Brexit.

Any reasonable person who would like to make a considered decision should compare their assessment against the rest. Surely? Right?

As for Mrs T's advisor he was a bloody minded fool who decimated and destroyed UK manufacturing industry and we now miss it.

Boris's advisor - could he possibly say anything else and more than likely advised Boris in his foolish U turn.

Standard Chartered economist - does well when emerging markets growing along with Global economy but now not so hot with share price in the doldrums.

Think about what these Brexit snake oil salesmen are trying to sell you? :idea:

Just goes to emphasise how economics is not so much a pure science as a political science.

I go back to my what if we're wrong scenarios?

Remain in -
if that turns out to be right, that's fine, we stay in the EU and are all better off than we would have been
if it turns out to be wrong, we can get out later or re-negotiate terms or use our weight to re-direct the EU's course

Brexit -
if that turns out to be right, that's fine, we stay out of the EU and are all better off than we would have been
but if it turns out to be wrong, the cost of re-entry could be very high, possibly too high to either afford or stomach - and that assumes the EU would even permit us to return

Its hard to judge the actual rewards from Remain or Brexit, and either way it might be that we're not actually better off, we're just less badly off than we (probably) would have been. But the only catastrophic risk comes from an unjustified Brexit. Its just risk:reward, we're supposed to be good at this.

Yes and if you look at their credentials they make up about 4 economists with not much reputation compared to rest of other economists represented by the likes of OECD, Government, IMF, Oxford adn the BoE?

The report's authors include Patrick Minford, a former adviser to Margaret Thatcher, and Gerard Lyons, a former chief economist at Standard Chartered and now an adviser to the London Mayor, Boris Johnson, who is campaigning for Britain to leave the EU.

These sadly desperate four economists make up the first time any economist has come out in defence of a Brexit.

Any reasonable person who would like to make a considered decision should compare their assessment against the rest. Surely? Right?

As for Mrs T's advisor he was a bloody minded fool who decimated and destroyed UK manufacturing industry and we now miss it.

Boris's advisor - could he possibly say anything else and more than likely advised Boris in his foolish U turn.

Standard Chartered economist - does well when emerging markets growing along with Global economy but now not so hot with share price in the doldrums.

Think about what these Brexit snake oil salesmen are trying to sell you? :idea:

Tis you who needs to question the motives of economists already well baked into the system who's self interest is to preserve the status quo. This should tell you something ! Lets see if the penny drops :LOL: So far, all we have from the establishment is fear mongering.
It was exactly the same tactic employed in the recent Scottish referendum. In the Scots case it was the right decision. They would have been in crisis by now given the drop in oil revenues.
However, it is entirely the wrong tactic when dealing with the bloody minded Brits, who have just about had it with the elites and bureaucracy.

Tis you who needs to question the motives of economists already well baked into the system who's self interest is to preserve the status quo. This should tell you something ! Lets see if the penny drops :LOL: So far, all we have from the establishment is fear mongering.
It was exactly the same tactic employed in the recent Scottish referendum. In the Scots case it was the right decision. They would have been in crisis by now given the drop in oil revenues.
However, it is entirely the wrong tactic when dealing with the bloody minded Brits, who have just about had it with the elites and bureaucracy.

Bloody minded Brits indeed.

Some people at the top, still consider the charge of the light brigade a success.

Yes you can take out cannons using cavalry but at what cost???

It is in the nature of man to overcome obstacles and put up with hard ship. Just like Thatcher's policies are now hailed a success as if they were the cause of the correction. No matter what happens in another 10, 20 years time, those at the top will hail it a triumphant stomping success.

Common sense and wisdom... Now that's another story. (y)

I know it is unfashionable to find the good sides to what is a peaceful and prosperous country. OK it is not perfect and could do with some corrections for the better but I am very against the revolutionary radicals who advocate mass killings on some daft principle. The same old story of the revolutionaries just stuffing their pockets at someone else's expense, whether its Russia, France or wherever. Keep the baby in with the bath.

U Brits only care about the money.

What are they teaching U at Uni.

Leicester better off second.:eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03slll2

Just goes to emphasise how economics is not so much a pure science as a political science.

I go back to my what if we're wrong scenarios?

Remain in -
if that turns out to be right, that's fine, we stay in the EU and are all better off than we would have been
if it turns out to be wrong, we can get out later or re-negotiate terms or use our weight to re-direct the EU's course

Brexit -
if that turns out to be right, that's fine, we stay out of the EU and are all better off than we would have been
but if it turns out to be wrong, the cost of re-entry could be very high, possibly too high to either afford or stomach - and that assumes the EU would even permit us to return

Its hard to judge the actual rewards from Remain or Brexit, and either way it might be that we're not actually better off, we're just less badly off than we (probably) would have been. But the only catastrophic risk comes from an unjustified Brexit. Its just risk:reward, we're supposed to be good at this.

Remember there is no 100% correct answer here ........this is a mega decision with many many good vs bad implications based around each outcome

That's the problem with big decisions .....I have performed many post-mortems on large corporate decisions that companies have made and the truth is mixed results always........focus on the big issues is always the best rule of thumb....the rest is detail and has to be discarded as collateral damage regarding the route taken :smart:

N

What have economists ever done regarding good decisions in the real world......they are meddlers and theorists that feel their naive models will pan out correctly in the real world

Well that ain't the real world guys......thankfully for,us traders ......

N:smart:

HUGE BREXIT BOOST: More than 100 City executives back campaign to leave ‘damaging’ EU

About this headline news???? 100 big number. City Executives!

One for you CV with your selective banking bias and all that tosh which you seem to buy into. ;)

They must know what they are doing right? Yes' they do!

They are protecting their bonuses! They don't want to pay a small transactions levy to the the tax payer to pay back all the bailout monies they have received.

That'll mean all the rest who can't get around the non-domiciled and off-shore account holding loopholes, continue paying off mountains of debt. That'll be the mass British public.

I too, think it is only right that British bankers should also pay this small transactions levy instead of these obese cats taking bonuses they don't deserve.

Last edited: