Bitcoin - online fad or the future?

I wouldn't know where to use it, keep it or value the price of cheese with it?

Join the party mate :)

Few internet sites (and some restaurant started to accept it recently, if I remember what I read correctly) are accepting it and don't see anything wrong with it. Except for the government, because it doesn't like when someone does something behind their NSA program.

I wouldn't know where to use it, keep it or value the price of cheese with it?

Join the party mate :)

It will take some time before there is a true market valuation on it. Right now, individuals have their own idiosyncratic values on Bitcoin.

People have exchanged items of value, items that are tied to items of value or lack thereof since the beginning of time, the concept of Bitcoin will not serve as an exception in the history of currency.

It will take some time before there is a true market valuation on it. Right now, individuals have their own idiosyncratic values on Bitcoin.

People have exchanged items of value, items that are tied to items of value or lack thereof since the beginning of time, the concept of Bitcoin will not serve as an exception in the history of currency.

I do hope not. (y)

if it's not an(other) exception, it's the accepted....that would get the thumbs up from all the entrepid adventurers (a euphemism for gamblers)

Wait, what do you mean?

Gamblers decide if it will be accepted or what?

I really don't follow your thought..

DitterPD,

This is how I understand it...

People have exchanged items of value = People have bartered items of value.

items that are tied to items of value = Currencies tied to Gold (limited scarce commodity) standard

items that are tied to items that lack value = Fiat currencies and defaulting governments

the concept of Bitcoin will not serve as an exception in the history of currency = the Bitcoin will serve as another currency in the history of currencies

With respect to last statement; I do hope not = I do hope so

Trying to explain makes it even more confusing... or is it just me??? :confused:

Last edited:
No, you did just right.

But isn't bitcoin main advantage that you can't just pour in trillion of bitcoins? Yes people mine them, but it's long and resource-intensive process (in terms of time/computer power needed to create bitcoin). In addition it's unregulated, no fees, encrypted. It has no tie to something, but there is value in it, which makes it more attractive than EUR/USD/GBP

I don't really understand it but it looks to me like there is something missing, like 1000 bit coins = 1 oz of gold.

Who has got enough gold to back this new currency ?

The Fijians used sea shells.

Just another pie in the sky fantasy currency it seems to me.

Now if 1000 bit coins = 1 oz of dog's doodie I would be a rich man.

http://btcrobot.com/bitcoin.php?cbid=getit

WTF is that?

gqp1Zy2.png

Or is it a subtle message to emphasize your point?

Here's a novel use for bitcoin:

"Jesse Angle isn’t your average homeless person. But he shows that bitcoin is changing the world in more ways than you might imagine. Some believe it could provide a major boost to the country’s 640,000 homeless, not only in providing extra pocket change for those on the street, but by helping urban homeless shelters more quickly secure donations for hot meals, beds, and blankets."

source: Homeless, Unemployed, and Surviving on Bitcoins

Here's a novel use for bitcoin:

"Jesse Angle isn’t your average homeless person. But he shows that bitcoin is changing the world in more ways than you might imagine. Some believe it could provide a major boost to the country’s 640,000 homeless, not only in providing extra pocket change for those on the street, but by helping urban homeless shelters more quickly secure donations for hot meals, beds, and blankets."

source: Homeless, Unemployed, and Surviving on Bitcoins

I really like the top comment there:

The reason it's so hard for most people to understand Bitcoin is that most people don't really understand money. Money isn't wealth. It's an accounting system to facilitate the exchange of wealth. (The paradox of money is that while everyone wants it, no one actually wants it - they want the stuff they can buy with it!) Money is a means for credibly conveying information about value given but not yet received (or at least not yet received in a form in which it can directly satisfy a person's wants or needs). To put it yet another way, money is a ledger. With fiat currencies like the dollar, that ledger is centralized. And that gives the central authority responsible for keeping that ledger tremendous power, power that history has proven will inevitably be abused. With Bitcoin, the ledger is decentralized. And that means that no one individual or entity has the power to arbitrarily create new units (thereby causing inflation), freeze (or seize) your account, or block a particular payment from being processed. We've had decentralized money before. After all, no one can simply print new gold into existence. And the "ledger" of gold is distributed because the physical gold itself (the "accounting entries" in the metaphor) is distributed. But with gold, that decentralization comes at a heavy price (literally). The physical nature of gold makes it hugely inefficient from a transactional perspective. Enter Bitcoin. It is the first currency in the world that is both decentralized AND digital. It is more reliably scarce than gold, more transactionally efficient than "modern" digital banking, and enables greater financial privacy than cash. It could certainly still fail for one reason or another, but if it doesn't, it has the potential to be very, VERY disruptive.

Made me look from different perspective, actually.

money is the store of wealth, a promise to pay the bearer, carrying the result of labour

if it is in a ledger it is the store of wealth within the ledger

a man who has nothing lacks wealth compared to a man with $1 because the man with $1 has a store of wealth

there are countries that have no central bank and still suffer inflation....inflation is not one-dimensional in cause and effect, of supply and demand reliant

a new currency doesnt hold sway over deflation therefor the inference of steady value is an incorrect proposition....by its very nature demand brings about inflation and lack of demand brings about deflation, therefor the currency itself is not an arbiter of either expansion or contraction of a society, rather it is reflective of the society to allow it's monetary base to unfold

a finite currency is not proven any more powerful as a controlling agent of change more than an infinite currency.....the whole point, of the oft misguided attempt, to control currency is to control economy......a good example of the market place balancing itself when that control is thrown away would be in German when a brave leader said "allow free market forces to work" ....it instantly killed the hyper inflation and supply/demand and inflation came into line.....

restrictive monetary supply is not proven to balance, in so much as is intended, afterall, the market place is the final driver of all trends and that being true the difference in force simply shifts from the currency (as a focused force of inflation) to the product/services being offered....

this well-intended idea of this currency is an attempt to control the very thing it's originator and propagators proffered to protect....there needs to be sound evidence that restricting the currency or monetary availability wont have the negative flow-on effects otherwise it's merely an inverted in action of the current system yet aligned in it's outcome as the market place dictates...

coffee

ok, utter waffle....yet i did enjoy typing it....maybe i'll go with the coffee instead next time

Last edited:
I really like the top comment there:

Made me look from different perspective, actually.

Thanks for pointing out that comment. However, I'm not sure I share the author's enthusiasm. As he points out, the central authorities in charge of the money supply hold tremendous power, and they'll do everything they can to keep it that way.

Thanks for pointing out that comment. However, I'm not sure I share the author's enthusiasm. As he points out, the central authorities in charge of the money supply hold tremendous power, and they'll do everything they can to keep it that way.

Well, yes.. that may be the biggest hurdle.. They are like Google & FB, buying out and crushing everybody who is trying to acquire some niche in the market.. It's hard to compete with the power times more than yourself.. (speaking of small BitCoin and large Banks/Financial Institutions)

Damn.. is there any hope in our world? Now I'm sad.. :confused::D

Well, yes.. that may be the biggest hurdle.. They are like Google & FB, buying out and crushing everybody who is trying to acquire some niche in the market.. It's hard to compete with the power times more than yourself.. (speaking of small BitCoin and large Banks/Financial Institutions)

Damn.. is there any hope in our world? Now I'm sad.. :confused::D

I certainly hope so, but I'll watch Bitcoin from the sidelines for now. While I'm too conservative to be an early adopter, I definitely admire the idea behind it. First, because I'm a computer geek, and second, because I'm concerned about the long term impact of all this central bank stimulus. As Yogi Berra used to say "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

I certainly hope so, but I'll watch Bitcoin from the sidelines for now. While I'm too conservative to be an early adopter, I definitely admire the idea behind it. First, because I'm a computer geek, and second, because I'm concerned about the long term impact of all this central bank stimulus. As Yogi Berra used to say "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

Out of curiousity - if I wanted to let's say swap £100 for bitcoins - what do I do?

Thinking out loud - I'm guessing;

1. Sell something and accept bitcoins in exchange!

2. How would I be paid?

3. If I subsequently devide my £100 and spend £50 - what would I need to do to pay and still keep my £50?

Just wondering what the actual mechanics of the transaction would be?

Is there like a dummy's user guide or something?