Bitcoin - online fad or the future?

Pat! There is a kindly person lurking under that anti-Europeasn skin!

My faith in human nature has, once again, been justified.:D

Aw geee

Not anti - European. Just anti a system that was shoddily built and conceived. They can't even entertain ideas of reform and judging them on results - should be pulled apart and then put back togethor properly.

Last edited:
I am thinking of investing on bitcoins lately but my friends in the US say it is just a fad at the moment. Will wait another year or so and let's see what happens. very tempting though.

I am thinking of investing on bitcoins lately but my friends in the US say it is just a fad at the moment. Will wait another year or so and let's see what happens. very tempting though.

Will you be using it to pay for purchases?

Pat! There is a kindly person lurking under that anti-Europeasn skin!

My faith in human nature has, once again, been justified.:D

His another mixed up kid gone rotten :whistling

Has potential. (y)

Hello Guys,

I am really new to bitcoin thing.

If anyone can provide reliable Sources/materials to get some basic knowledge would be great.

Hello Guys,

If anyone can provide reliable Sources/materials to get some basic knowledge would be great.

You can check bitcointalk forums , google it .

Hello Guys,

Quite a few links and opinions on this thread too. Read from start... (y)

You know what Warren Buffet said (my words)? "I don't invest in what I don't understand, which is why I missed out on the dotcom bubble."

As far as bitcoins are concerned------that's me!!

I’ve read on Amazon that it is possible to pay with Bitcoin, is that true? What other website accepts payment with BitCoin?

What's to stop anyone issuing their own currency ?

Wanna buy a pet rock buddy ?

Attachments

• Bit coins.jpg
    Bit coins.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 251
Dont know about Amazon , not yet anyway , but take this :

Ebay may open its wallet to the virtual currency Bitcoin. -

Interesting but imo - ebay is simply keeping an eye and ear out for quick buck so as not to miss out should it take off.

Donahoe said eBay hasn’t yet made any commitments to use the currency.

Last month the U.S. Treasury Department said it will apply money-laundering rules to Bitcoin and other virtual currencies, meaning firms that issue or exchange the increasingly popular online cash will be regulated in a manner similar to traditional money-order providers.

I think should it be accepted then any benefit will duly be knocked off once it becomes taxed.

As it stands it is lacking some of the important properties of a good currency.

1. Acceptability - Everyone must accept it to purchase goods and services
Not even 1% acceptability

2. Durability - It should last a long time If you don't back it up you can lose it.

3. Portability - Easy to carry around Perhaps with mobile phones but one still needs a mobile smart phone.

4. Scarcity - Scarce enough to be valuable, not common such as sand or pebbles on a beach
Don't understand what is to stop anyone creating a new version. Another new currency called 'Cin-coin' perhaps.

5. Divisibility - Can be divided into small units
There are more as well, these are the basic
Don't understand how this would work???

6. Cognizability
money should be easy to recognize
???

7. Malleability - money should be Malleable so that it could be made into new money.
I think some people will have something to say about this. Dodgy???

8. Uniformity - It means that All version of the same denomination of currency must have the same purchasing power so that very denomination must be in uniform..
Well at the moment the value is volatile as per article The currency is still volatile, making its prospects in retail sales risky. In April alone, bitcoins have ranged from $50.01 to $266, with an average of $114.94, according to bitcoincharts.com, one site tracking the currency’s value. The market for bitcoins is over $1 billion, according to the site.

So a bit of a non-starter and at level FAD until issues above resolved or enhanced or we change our mode of operation etc...

imho - :eek: :rolleyes: :-0 :cry: :confused: :?: :?: :?::!: :!: :!::help:

Interesting but imo - ebay is simply keeping an eye and ear out for quick buck so as not to miss out should it take off.

Last month the U.S. Treasury Department said it will apply money-laundering rules to Bitcoin and other virtual currencies, meaning firms that issue or exchange the increasingly popular online cash will be regulated in a manner similar to traditional money-order providers.

I think should it be accepted then any benefit will duly be knocked off once it becomes taxed.

2. Durability - It should last a long time If you don't back it up you can lose it.

3. Portability - Easy to carry around Perhaps with mobile phones but one still needs a mobile smart phone.

4. Scarcity - Scarce enough to be valuable, not common such as sand or pebbles on a beach
Don't understand what is to stop anyone creating a new version. Another new currency called 'Cin-coin' perhaps.

6. Cognizability
???

7. Malleability - money should be Malleable so that it could be made into new money.

8. Uniformity - It means that All version of the same denomination of currency must have the same purchasing power so that very denomination must be in uniform..
Well at the moment the value is volatile as per article The currency is still volatile, making its prospects in retail sales risky. In April alone, bitcoins have ranged from $50.01 to $266, with an average of $114.94, according to bitcoincharts.com, one site tracking the currency’s value. The market for bitcoins is over $1 billion, according to the site.

So a bit of a non-starter and at level FAD until issues above resolved or enhanced or we change our mode of operation etc...

Excellent At imho.
However consider the coin was say 1/4 oz of silver ( ~$7 ) !! That would cover all your objections except portability of large sums and divisibility. For which real money would have to fill those gaps. So you have a 1 London shilling = 1 New York shilling = 1 Moscow shilling = 1 Beijing shilling etc.
It has actual intrinsic value which bitcoins have not and parity world wide.

So that's solved about half of the world's financial problems already and it's not even lunchtime yet. Who needs a G7 load of leaders if they haven't got some good ideas to play with ??!!

Last edited:

I'm afraid that would not pass the description act. :whistling

BitPay is integrated with Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA), so you can accept bitcoin payments on your website, and automatically have Amazon ship the merchandise.

My understanding is - as a reseller on Amazon - it is the seller who chooses to accept Bit-coin and acknowledge receipt of payment to Amazon, who will then ship item out.

Not the same thing as Amazon accepting payment. :rolleyes:

Excellent At imho.
However consider the coin was say 1/4 oz of silver ( ~$7 ) !! That would cover all your objections except portability of large sums and divisibility. For which real money would have to fill those gaps. So you have a 1 London shilling = 1 New York shilling = 1 Moscow shilling = 1 Beijing shilling etc.
It has actual intrinsic value which bitcoins have not and parity world wide.

So that's solved about half of the world's financial problems already and it's not even lunchtime yet. Who needs a G7 load of leaders if they haven't got some good ideas to play with ??!!

I can't work this out Pat :rolleyes:

Are we not valuing Bit-coins in terms of silver? So what happens if China discovers a silver mine?

My brain feels fried... :(

I can't work this out Pat :rolleyes:

Are we not valuing Bit-coins in terms of silver? So what happens if China discovers a silver mine?

My brain feels fried... :(

No problem - they could have a Hong Kong shilling too !

6. Cognizability
???

Copy & Paste :cheesy: . BTW Bitcoin is dividable to small units , and yes there are a couple of alt out there , the most used/recognized alt is Litecoin which comes after Bitcoin in place and it is around $3 the rest of the alt aren't serious and just copies ! BTW there is a cap on Bitcoins availability in the future = around 21 million coins max ( Litecoin = 83 million coins cap ).
There are many other issues you didn't mention here like the safety of your personal coins ( trojans , hacks ... etc ) , and the risk of 51% attack to take over the network , plus the issue that anyone can come up with a new version which they already did or lets say tried to do !