Big Ben on the FTSE100

Yep, another flop today, not looking good this week so far, i'm 8-12 over the last 20 trades so its been a loosing month

Longer term, performance is OK, I will get some figure sout later. I do know I have not had a losing sequence of 20 trades since conversion to using a fixed points target and stop rather than a random points count from the BB range in mid-February. Money-wise, the BB trades are making as much for me as salary.

good luck Bartlby. tomorton - can't ask for a huge amount more really - if it replaces salary - you'll be watch jeremy kyle a lot more! ;-)

I dream of the day.

My modified version appears to be at exactly breakeven after 7 days to. (n), today was another breakeven. Looking like I am getting an awful lot of breakevens (i.e I am getting to at least 10 points in profit but then the market is coming back to take me out at entry point.)

Things will be better when there is a trending market.. oh for a trending market and 100 pt days (not watching Jeremy Kyle though :LOL:)

My modified version appears to be at exactly breakeven after 7 days to. (n), today was another breakeven. Looking like I am getting an awful lot of breakevens (i.e I am getting to at least 10 points in profit but then the market is coming back to take me out at entry point.)

Things will be better when there is a trending market.. oh for a trending market and 100 pt days (not watching Jeremy Kyle though :LOL:)

Will have to look how 10pt limit with 15pt stop would have done :D (not what I was really after though.)

Has anyone tried BigBen on Nasdaq or Dax? I know Dow has been tried but it is a bit volatile:cry:

Will have to look how 10pt limit with 15pt stop would have done :D (not what I was really after though.)

Has anyone tried BigBen on Nasdaq or Dax? I know Dow has been tried but it is a bit volatile:cry:

I looked at the Dax for a few weeks but it's basically the same as the FTSE after open but seemed a bit more volatile so my stops were getting hit more often than not. Couldn't find any cheap Dax historical data to back test some alternative parameters with so I gave up to focus on other areas.

Yep, stopped out here. This week is a disaster. Was within 1 pt of the target today. Only 3 out of the last 10 trades I have taken (according to the rules) have hit target. I wonder if this due to the current bearish market conditions.

Thoughts anyone?

Yes, short stopped out today. But that still leaves me at 10-10 over the last 20 trades. And the more stopped out trades we get out of the way this week, the better the results will be next week. Hope things don't get any worse of course as apart from the money I am not keen to revise my rules again already, after all, I only went to the fixed points target and stop from mid-February and I hope to weather 6 months of trading to gather more data before making any more changes.

I didn't place a trade today but if I had it would have been short and been stopped out. Frustrating

since tuesday 24th June when i started using the 13 target, 10 stop - I've taken 13 trades, of which only 4 have been winners, 9 losers. Leaving me -38 points. 31% win rate. However - I agree 100% with tomorton that 6 months data is required to form any real educated opinion. I'm going to continue as is, and assume the win rate will increase.

Hi Tomorton, I've read your whole thread over the past week or two - whew, quite a fascinating journey! Similar to a couple of methods I've used in the past, but you seem to have arrived at a point where long term profits can be made, & I'm going to start joining you. I'll let you know my results. Just one point: I presume the entry of plus & minus 2 pips includes spread (Cap = 1), or do you add spread? Re recent results, I don't think a few losing weeks is of any significance given past live results. If you've got a system which never has a losing month, you've found the Holy Grail - which as we know, does't exist! Cheers, Geoff
PS I'm showing no trade today - over 100% of avg range.

trade long at 5,708.8 up and running - I'm 110% of avg range today so I'm happy with the trade.

haha - i use 125% for some reason! I've lost track of why!! However - probably shoulda gone with 80% given another loser today!

Good grief! Stopped out again. This is starting to hurt as I have gone 9-11 on a rolling 20 trade count for the first time since started looking at this indicator.

Welcome Gelly - You've joined us in what I hope is a temporary trough in performance. With regards the points margin, I use long price from the SB +2pts or short price -2pts. However, I don't think it really matters - it will be extremely rare that price will hit bid or offer and immediately reverse: on the other hand, you could take a more cautious view and decide to only enter after price has gone say 3, 4, 5, or 6 or even more pts beyond the SB price. BB is something you can play around with to find comfort as well as sheer performance.

As for no-trade days, I currently see the BB High-Low range: if this is 1.25 or more x the 10d Av. BB range, I will stay out. Actually, again, you can play around with indicators in BB that will keep you out on highly speculative days. the rationale is: if price made a huge 100pt range between 8 and 9, how likely is it that it will escape from that range and put on another 20 or so? - more likely it will either trade within the boundaries all day or peep out and then collapse back inside, triggering first an entry then a stop. Any indicator what recognises this will do, play around with it, but keep us in the loop, please, in case you hit on something.