Big Ben on the FTSE100

Hi mcclaine - I don't fully understand your point on TFs.

Surely whatever TF is used to print a chart, if price goes to a certain level, it will print at that level? I do only visual backtesting and monitoring, using 30min candles on the SB tick carts, but I can assure you, if price hits a level for only a second, it prints at that level and associated orders are triggered.

I did take nothing from those seven trades, in fact less than nothing lol.

When I did some backtesting, if a candle went through both the stop and the target I lowered the time frame sufficiently to check which one was hit first. Obviously if the candle only went through either the target or the stop, then it would be a win/loss respectively.

That all sounds eminently sensible. I am trying to learn the Metratrader programming language in my spare time (and there isn't a lot of spare time with a full on job, but life is never fun without a challenge, eh). Once I have achieved sufficient proficiency, I will try and programme a basic EA for all of our benefit and run it on backtest for as long a period of time as I can obtain data - but this process is, unfortunately, still several weeks away.

All the best.

Hi mcclaine - I don't fully understand your point on TFs.

Surely whatever TF is used to print a chart, if price goes to a certain level, it will print at that level? I do only visual backtesting and monitoring, using 30min candles on the SB tick carts, but I can assure you, if price hits a level for only a second, it prints at that level and associated orders are triggered.

You are right of course. My point was if the backtester had moved down to a lower time-frame where the larger time -frame had printed both the target and stop levels, to so as to determine which level was printed first. I know this sounds terribly obvious, but I have seen novice backtesters assume that the flow of price would result in target being hit first and then the stop because the trade ended the relevant time period nearer the stop etc. However, brew has confirmed that he manually looked into lower time-frames to determine whether stop or target was first hit (where the 1hr time frame printed both levels), so we can completely disregard my doubt.

All the best.

Last edited:
The link below details the experiences of a trader I knew who traded a B/O system that he thgought was very well tested and extremely robust (far more so than this one currently is) and like all B/O systems I have ever encountered the small positivive expectancy and consecutive losing runs experienced @ the strike rate, killed it.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/gen...046-your-trading-edge-dilema.html#post1442988.

I also refer any traders trading live money with this or any other unproven system to consider the points I make about a 'Trading Edge' in the doc attached to post # 97 (page 13) of this thread, the link for which is here:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/gen...free-seminar-london-sat-29-jan-2011-a-13.html

As the Thread Starter has said; this thread is a journey not a destinantion, and I wish it well, but do encourage more robust testing of any trading edge and the required information to trade it.

G/L

well thats 2 losses for me already this week, a buy on 6041.3 right? Good job it's only like £2pp lol, getting the feeling I might just join the 95% and give up.

Hi Brewski,

You might want to move to a platform that allows you to use smaller stakes.

I think i'm going to continue this on Smart Live Markets, 10p a point.

I may have found some FTSE data so I can back test also!

Yeah that's sensible I guess RT, i started doing some of these on IG's tradesense at 10p a point but the problem was with the low target and tight stop it was too low to interest me and I kept breaking all the rules of the system. Guess that's where I should learn some discipline and scale up as appropriate. I might try Smart Live Markets if they offer 10p a point, my tradesense 10p has ended now.

Good thread on trading edge bbmac, and very kind to let us have your presentation - worth reading again, which I will. I have paid good money for less knowledge from well-regarded books on trading.

I guess I still have the blind optimism of youth, never having grown up. I would be less confident if BB had come out of my head on a long Spring walk - in fact it's a bona fide forex strategy which I have purloined for application to the FTSE. The fact that others have made good money out of the mainstream version suggests to me this variation is probably not a suicide mission.

The lack of my own backtesting data doesn't stop me trading this system. In fact, all my research so far has been paid for out of the profits. And even with 10 or 20 or 30 years of day by day data, I would not bet the house on tomorrow's BB trade. I know about LTCM too, I would not be so obstinate as to carry on running and opening losing trades and doubling down based on stats: don't need a Nobel prize to avoid that one.

Yes, failure to manage risk is the only thing that will take a trader out of the game. But that applies no matter what system is used. Failure to react to increased risk, or over-confident acceptance of higher levels of risk, or desperate leveraging to recover losses, yes, these are things that can wipe the trader out: but not me, nor you.

The thread's been clear all along that this is a 'dumb' system that ignores everything we've learned about shares and trading and markets and TA. I said in October that,
'This is a system that orthodox rules will tell you cannot work. 1 trade per day, 1:1 r:r and only 66% win rate.'
Nobody would set out to design a saleable system with such poor parameters. But I still think it can make me money.

Thanks for the contributions BBMac. I was going to ask you what your suggestions might be to give a trading edge, so look forward to reading your presentation.

I think the problem some of us face is that we need a 'set and forget' system because we have to go to work, and without complex programming that means a very simple system. Longer term swing trades are not ideal for me personally, because I'm starting with a small pot, and am not that confident to put long stops on - still learning:confused:

That's the same problem for me. I don't have time to be able to watch the charts all day. At best, I'm able to sneak off to get on my iPhone for a few minutes occasionally, but spending all day looking for S/R etc. would be impossible. The charts on most apps are useless anyway and trading by iPhone is hardly quick and easy. I don't know if any of you guys have ever tried setting up an order on Capital Spreads' app but it's a constant fight to enter the numbers before the price changes and resets it! A system like this is ideal for me.

I'll read your presentation tomorrow bbmac, it sounds very good already.

The link below details the experiences of a trader I knew who traded a B/O system that he thgought was very well tested and extremely robust (far more so than this one currently is) and like all B/O systems I have ever encountered the small positivive expectancy and consecutive losing runs experienced @ the strike rate, killed it.

G/L

in regard to breakout systems...

I see in your presentation that you trade thrusting breakouts...
do you get multiple trade losing runs with the breakout trades that you take or
have you developed filter(s) to leave the higher risk opportunites out?

what should i be looking for to eliminate some of the bad ones?

in regard to breakout systems...

I see in your presentation that you trade thrusting breakouts...
do you get multiple trade losing runs with the breakout trades that you take or
have you developed filter(s) to leave the higher risk opportunites out?

what should i be looking for to eliminate some of the bad ones?

Yes I do trade thrust (implying momentum) breakouts, a good example on 5/15min cable today...5min shown below closed at same time as 15min... these thrust b/o's of previous swings on same t/f (the red lines) under certain opa conditions with other filters are part of that type of set-up and can be high in probability as a result - such a set-up being part of my trading edge. ( As you know the 'edge' is proprietary so I cannot reveal it in full.) But look at the 5min bull thrust candle it was a 'significant' candle for reasons shown...

If there is no thrust b/o of something I will likely not trade the b/o....most b/o's are false so my preference would be a pullback and 2nd b/o of it sets-up.

G/L

2i29coi.jpg

kcay5g.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I do trade thrust (implying momentum) breakouts, a good example on 5/15min cable today...5min shown below closed at same time as 15min... these thrust b/o's of previous swings on same t/f (the red lines) under certain opa conditions with other filters are part of that type of set-up and can be high in probability as a result - such a set-up being part of my trading edge. ( As you know the 'edge' is proprietary so I cannot reveal it in full.) But look at the 5min bull thrust candle it was a 'significant' candle for reasons shown...

If there is no thrust b/o of something I will likely not trade the b/o....most b/o's are false so my preference would be a pullback and 2nd b/o of it sets-up.

G/L

thank you for the reply...it is appreciated

Out of interest did anyone trade this system today, and/or How did it do anyway ?

G/L

I didn't play today, but would have counted it a winner on my platform - see chart

Attachments

• FTSE 5M.PNG
    FTSE 5M.PNG
    70.2 KB · Views: 168
I missed it today, wasn't able to take my break at work. Is it still no coincidence that after 5 months of profit and nearly 100 pages, the 3/4 weeks I start trading it the whole system starts a rough patch and getting questioned?

Actually, I have appealed to the SB firm for clarification as I don't see my stop should have been triggered. I don't moan about SB firms, but this is confusing and they may have made an error this time.

For monitoring purposes, I have to count today as a win.

On reflection, on the chart it only missed triggering an earlier buy, and therefore stopping out, by abaout half a pip. This may well have triggered the buy in reality due to the spread. It was marginal any way, and shows the problems with visual testing as your mind tends to 'want' the win and see it that way. I'm not so sure now.

and by the way brewski - it's not you that's the Jonah - it appears to happen to me too:LOL: