Best time to trade Crude Oil CL

sergio007

Whats the best time to trade Sweet Crude OIL CL.

I am in Toronto Canada and my strategy is to scalp 20c to 50c a day off the CL symbol. Whats the best time of day to catch the movement I am in Toronto, at Eastern Standard Time.

What is heaviest trading time for this symbol??

Hi,
i begun trading the Crude Oil two 2 months ago (i'm in Montréal) and it's really trendy the morning (7-8am).
I like trading CL because of its big moves. When i catch a momentum i enter with 10 Pips SL and then when i'm up with +5pips i move my SL to break even. My SL is usually hit but when it's not... you could grab a lot of pips.

Au plaisir.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Greetings from toronto. I am a newbie. I haven't started to trade crude oil futures. But I am ready to trade. I thought I could introduce myself. I live in GTA (bloor/Lansdowne area). Perhaps, I could meet with you guys for a coffee or so and exchange some information. I would appreciate your response. Thanks

Im in the To area too and trade crude.
I try not to trade US crude when the pit is closed and don't usually enter after 2PM
Earlier in the morning 2AM onwards you can catch some moves because Brent is being traded and US crude moves along with it
Nicola

Best Time To Trade Crude Oil

All your comments are good. I
The best way to determine the best time to trade CL is to look at a 3-5 min chart and see what times it moves. Someone said 4a-6a.... he was correct.... that is one of the times that is good... but there are also other good times. Prime time opening looks good but often moves so fast that it is difficult to trade then (9a-11a). I am in Toronto also. Happy to meet any Toronto Traders. bruceross111 a gmail ..... anytime......

The overlap of the European markets and the US markets is the best time, something between 7 am and noon Eastern Time.

I only trade WTI after the NYMEX floor opens. So at 2pm London time.
I don't like trading in low liquidity hours because strange things happen.

1 find good twitter feeds help a lot with WTI can be wild and profitable like Friday on rig count.

unsure how it will play in the future when CME closes all floor trading apart from S&P 500?
The announcement by the CME Group that by July it will shut down nearly all its trading floors, relying instead on computerized trading, unleashes a flood of memories of the trading pits I covered for CNBC for nearly a decade.

The closing of the gold and crude oil pits could worsen the issue of painting the tape (manipulating prices by both buying and selling) by large trading houses to help their positions or hurt traders that can't bully the market. This has happened and will be a major issue for the settlement of back months. The front month is a weighted average and shouldn't be affected.

Last edited:
. Crude Oil - Toronto :))

I'm also in Toronto and also trade CL.
The best time to trade is when the volume is the highest. To see that add VOL / volume to a 10 minute chart (just for this purpose) and you will clearly see that volume increases dramatically after 8am and drops off after 12 noon.... sometimes ok at 2p-2:30p (old) close too.
If any of you Toronto CL traders ever want to meet up for coffee and talk CL Trading, I'm happy to join-in.
midtermalgo gmail ... anytime...

There is no time decide to Best time to trade Crude Oil CL it depends on traders you are (scalper, swing, long term from daily/weekly charts, etc).