Audio FTSE Live Values

tenfield

Hi all, my first post so I'll probably do it all wrong!

Has anyone ever come across any FTSE100 live values available over the internet as sound?

I would find this so useful in that I could wander round getting on with other things whilst hearing the FTSE value, say every few seconds, either by speaker or perhaps a bluetooth earpiece (yes it probably would drive me potty but no-one would really notice the difference!).

A voice along the lines of a satnav or even a 'robovoice' would do, and it would keep me on the ball regarding my FTSE spread bets.

I've searched the forums, but can't see any reference to this sort of idea.

Thanks in advance.....John.

I had wondered about a similar question - whether there was a programme that would simply emit a peep whenever an on-screen figure value changed, such as a real-time quote. Then, as you suggest, I could be doing other things on other sites and keep an ear open for an increased rate of peeps to alert me to some action.

I had wondered about a similar question - whether there was a programme that would simply emit a peep whenever an on-screen figure value changed, such as a real-time quote. Then, as you suggest, I could be doing other things on other sites and keep an ear open for an increased rate of peeps to alert me to some action.

I use the imaginatively titled 'beep' function in Calc (The OpenOffice (i.e. free) version of Excel (i.e. not free) ) in a macro that watches the contents of the relevant cells. Importing the real-time data into Calc is relatively straightforward.

This allows me, with one ear open, to watch 'Neighbours' and when my girlfriend phones to claim she is interrupting work.

On the original question, there are plenty of utilities out there to 'read' web-pages (for the visually impaired) probably not too difficult to get this to work for a 15-min delayed website if that was sufficient. Try googling 'screen readers freeware' as a starting point.

RGB

Thanks RGB - some interesting things to try.
I seem to recall some clever LIFFE traders developed a bit of software that generated crowd noise which increased in volume as trading volumes increased. This mimiced the open outcry situation which had then just come to an end on the LIFFE floor and was said to tune them in to increasing actitivity when they moved to screen trading.

I use the imaginatively titled 'beep' function in Calc (The OpenOffice (i.e. free) version of Excel (i.e. not free) ) in a macro that watches the contents of the relevant cells. Importing the real-time data into Calc is relatively straightforward.

This allows me, with one ear open, to watch 'Neighbours' and when my girlfriend phones to claim she is interrupting work.

On the original question, there are plenty of utilities out there to 'read' web-pages (for the visually impaired) probably not too difficult to get this to work for a 15-min delayed website if that was sufficient. Try googling 'screen readers freeware' as a starting point.

RGB

Thanks for the creative thoughts there, I'll see if I can make these things work.
It will be refreshing not to be tied to the screen all day hoping to spot surges in the figures.

I suppose on a basic level I could just use the 'alarms' some sites provide, but the ultimate for me would be a soft ladies voice in an earpiece continually wafting the current FTSE level at me.

I'm convinced there must be this feature hidden away at the back of some financial website somewhere, but no doubt it would cost, but I'd probably be OK with that.....John.

As an afterthought I have temporarily been using a couple of little aids to keeping in touch with instantaneous FTSE values (no doubt thought of before)...namely...

I use a downloaded screen magnifier programme to enlarge the FTSE number to be about 8 inches across (not Windows own magnifier - I find this a bit of a mess). Then I can see the numbers, glancing from anywhere in the room, even with my eyesight.

Also if you hit 'CTRL +' in Windows Vista, it zooms the screen up without using a magnifier. I can't get this to work with XP, so maybe Vista has got some benefit after all !!

Regards
John.