Asian Coronavirus Outbreak

Does it feel weird, or slightly uncomfortable, that large numbers of people may be in dire straits, but we (traders) are plodding along as normal?
When I first started trading, there was always a sense of making money without making any meaningful contribution to society, except via buying stuff, and paying taxes.
But recently, I am making money, adding nothing to society, while people with actual practical skills, are at the mercy of this pandemic, and the mismanagement of a government.
Trading seems more selfish than usual.

Tell me some upsides...

Does it feel weird, or slightly uncomfortable, that large numbers of people may be in dire straits, but we (traders) are plodding along as normal?
When I first started trading, there was always a sense of making money without making any meaningful contribution to society, except via buying stuff, and paying taxes.
But recently, I am making money, adding nothing to society, while people with actual practical skills, are at the mercy of this pandemic, and the mismanagement of a government.

Tell me some upsides...
Hmmm....how about: .... a sense of making money without making any meaningful contribution to society, except via buying stuff, and paying taxes??:rolleyes:

trendie,

Can you name one commodity futures exchange that has survived with all hedgers and no speculators?

. . . Tell me some upsides...
Hi trendie,
That large numbers of people may be in dire straits is a product of deliberate self harm on the part of the government. There's absolutely no reason for you to feel guilty, embarrassed or ashamed because others are less fortunate than you. T'was ever thus and forever will be thus - pandemic or no pandemic. Besides which, trading the markets is important. If no one did it, liquidity would dry up and pension funds and the like would struggle to buy and sell their holdings. And if you weren't supporting yourself via trading, paying taxes and buying stuff then, presumably, you'd have a 'normal' job which in turn would likely mean you'd be furloughed. Which of the two is the bigger drain on the public purse? (no offence to anyone reading this who is furloughed!) If you're really uncomfortable about what you do, think about measures to turn those negative feelings into positive ones. E.g. setting aside 10% (or whatever) of your profits for charity and/or doing some voluntary work perhaps?

I think the feelings you have about trading are best kept separate from the pandemic; conflating the two just muddies the waters and is unlikely to result in anything beneficial, IMO.
Tim.

Currently, there are a few Asian countries that have control of the Chinese virus. Most of the countries where the government cannot control the respiratory epidemic due to the Chinese virus are because the people they are accustomed to freely do not need to know to protect themselves.

Hmmm....how about: .... a sense of making money without making any meaningful contribution to society, except via buying stuff, and paying taxes??:rolleyes:
Paying taxes! Ha that's one thing that really annoys me. Sure traders don't do too much for society, I trade it goes the territory (my wife works clinically in a hospital). In fact all my family work in the NHS or education. They all pay taxes.
All the professional traders I know pay any income tax!!
But that's not the bit that pisses me off.

What really pisses me off is that the traders paying NO TAX'l are also the same people out of everyone I know who have the biggest platforms and have the most to say on politics and how "our" taxes are spent. IF YOU EARN WELL AND DON'T PAY TAXES THEN SHUT THE FCK UP ABOUT PUSHING YOUR BRAND OF POLICIES.
How can you have the gall to even remark let alone mouth off about politics, which is all about how "our" money is spent.

Everyone has the right to an opinion in a democracy.
Anyone who says different like Jason could live in an taxocracy, autocracy etc.
Perhaps he considers the bigger the tax paid the more weight his opinion should carry.
A novel idea.The tax dodging rich might be a bit more honest ?

Last edited:
Everyone has the right to an opinion in a democracy.
Anyone who says different like Jason could live in an taxocracy, autocracy.
I completely agree everyone has the right to an opinion in a democracy and I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I said it really annoys me that the richest friends I have also don't pay taxes and also are the most politically active in activism I know.
I don't like it. But I would still defend their right to free speech...And there lies part of the problem.
As for the taxocracy, I'm ignoring as I don't see a logical connection and don't think you really do either.

Just been out and about and saw a day nursery with lots of kids all playing in a confined space.
6 Children sitting around a 3 ft square craft table shoulder to shoulder 4 adults supervising.
Not one piece of PPE in sight!
Glad to see the Governments ridiculous 'guidelines' being ignored by everyday folk. (I'm assuming the parents knew the conditions they were leaving their children in).

Went shopping on the weekend.
I got the impression that people had started to stockpile again, as there was a distinct lack of certain items: eggs, pasta, some shelves of soups, and frozen veg.
Maybe I picked a bad time, and got there at end of a stock replenishment cycle.
Felt weird.

Anyway, vaping!
If you notice how far the exhaled smoke carries from a smoker in the breeze, thats going to be pretty much the scope of anyones pox-ridden breath.

Women trolley-drivers!
The aisles are clearly marked with arrows, and big red "do not enter" patches on the floors, to aid in the shopper flow. Guess which gender seems particularly oblivious to these markers?
And still with the families, and kids, and babies in pushchairs in shops.
Its almost as if they are all competing for the Darwin Award.

Good trading for you, I hope.

corona_virus_joke.png

Remember: Whenever you go out, keep at least 2M distance between you and Malayan tigers.

If only she stayed two meters away. I never trusted those Russian tigers anyway. ... :)

All very quiet around here these days?!

Here's a summation of what's happened and where we are from Carl Benjamin that I can't fault. Absolutely spot on, IMO . . .

A second wave of the virus is affecting China. Those countries that have returned to normal too early might be in for a nasty shock.

A second wave of the virus is affecting China. Those countries that have returned to normal too early might be in for a nasty shock.
Those countries that didnt bother with all the nonsense and kept themselves fit and followed basic hygiene standards are pleasantly surprised.