Asian Coronavirus Outbreak

From his statements, it appears Sir Simon McDonald has messed up. He never said he was present at the briefing he described nor at the point the decision he described was made, whether that was at the briefing or later.

It seems he was just saying what he had heard or even worse what he had assumed. Such an experienced administrator should have been sufficiently aware and competent not to repeat hearsay or speculate on occurrences that were outside his direct knowledge.Even if he personally wanted to believe the most negative aspects to be true. I expect his resignation will follow shortly.
It wouldn't have happened to Sir Humphrey !

From his statements, it appears Sir Simon McDonald has messed up. He never said he was present at the briefing he described nor at the point the decision he described was made, whether that was at the briefing or later.

It seems he was just saying what he had heard or even worse what he had assumed. Such an experienced administrator should have been sufficiently aware and competent not to repeat hearsay or speculate on occurrences that were outside his direct knowledge.Even if he personally wanted to believe the most negative aspects to be true. I expect his resignation will follow shortly.

In addition to which, not even the dumbest politician would flat out lie about something happening in a meeting at which such a senior civil servant was present. Which is not to say the politicians are being truthful, it is to say they know he cannot contradict them because he wasn't there.

I don’t credit that at all. It’s ingrained in top civil servants to equivocate about damn near everything and anything unequivocal is usually rock solid. Nor do I credit the “Downing Street later issued a statement saying the UK had been invited to take part but officials did not see the email because of a "communication confusion" mumbo jumbo.

Still, Sir Simon has still not said how he knew a briefing had occurred and a political decision had been taken. I think he's been a burk who either believed some story from some other burk or let his prejudices get in the way of his discretion or both.

I am more than ready to believe that there has been a communications cock-up between the Foreign Office civil servants and the Department for Health civil servants, or between the EU and UK civil servants or between the ministers or between the EU officers and the ministers. It would be amazing if there hadn't been somewhere along this road.

Still, Sir Simon has still not said how he knew a briefing had occurred and a political decision had been taken. I think he's been a burk who either believed some story from some other burk or let his prejudices get in the way of his discretion or both.

I am more than ready to believe that there has been a communications cock-up between the Foreign Office civil servants and the Department for Health civil servants, or between the EU and UK civil servants or between the ministers or between the EU officers and the ministers. It would be amazing if there hadn't been somewhere along this road.

All possible but not where my money would go :)

Hazard a guess we have two ex-civil servants; from the left and right divide of the political spectrum debating hearsay. Marvellous how you both executed your assertions with such civility. :love: :love:

Lessons for us all here.

CV you utter total S!@*!er take note. (y):D(y)

Last edited:
Well who could have guessed that outcome...
Fingers crossed that in the next few weeks the data confirms the expectation regarding herd immunity in Stockholm. Hopefully, on the back of it, our government will take notice and relax restrictions accordingly. This would be in direct contrast to the dire forecast made yesterday by Prof. Chris Witty about the need for current social distancing measures to be in place until at least the end of the year. Noooooo!

Generally, I sense that the MSM are very gradually waking up and beginning to ask a few searching questions re. government policy - primarily around the economy and the financial crisis that will result from the lock down measures. A mere hint of dissent within the media ranks; so, some glimmer of hope that the current madness could be about to roll over?
Tim.

Generally, I sense that the MSM are very gradually waking up and beginning to ask a few searching questions re. government policy - primarily around the economy and the financial crisis that will result from the lock down measures.

This can only mean one thing...Barjon is very gradually waking up too...👏

Just stirring Jon...:)

Well who could have guessed that outcome...

It amazes me how humans still believe they are somehow able to overcome the forces of nature. Every year hurricanes destroy vast areas of the US, devastating floods regularly effect the UK and many other places. One volcano erupting can shut down all air travel for thousands of miles around it. A group of 'experts' think they can prevent a virus which has been attacking humans for millennia by telling us not to go outside. Hubris!

I suppose that if you include the deceased in the herd count then the immunity stats look increasingly better:
6ft_Social_Distancing.jpg

This would be in direct contrast to the dire forecast made yesterday
Methinks it'll take rather more than that to remove Prof. Witless from his podium ...

A team of Shire Horses and Squad of Navvies with pick axes might manage it.

But short of that, the 'vested interests' are going to keep screaming 'Plague of Doom' as loud as they can and hope nobody actually notices the distinct lack of piles of festering corpses in the streets.

There are those a-plenty who will be seeking to ensure that many of the *cough 'temporary' measures are here to stay.

* not a corona cough, lol.

😷

Some people are very resistant to the 2m social distancing rule. Hard to understand as its a free, easy and painless precautionary measure. However if they want to stick to their beliefs and ignore the government advice, they should have some integrity and demonstrate they rally believe in what they're saying and doing.

What I mean is they should immediately notify their GP that they abandon their rights to NHS treatment against the virus. They should then reinforce this by drafting a living will rejecting medial intervention should they fall unconscious as a result.

One of those "If you get it you die" memes...In other words. The difference between living and dying of Covid-19 is precisely 6.0000000000ft...I think I accidentally stood 5.99999999999ft away from someone while shopping....oh well, I suppose I'm going to die now...:cry:

What I mean is they should immediately notify their GP that they abandon their rights to NHS treatment against the virus. They should then reinforce this by drafting a living will rejecting medial intervention should they fall unconscious as a result.

Get all the smokers, car drivers, obese, people who refuse to exercise 20min/day to give up their rights to the NHS first.