ART - not just pretty pics

Aaaah and I thought we had an art expert on the forum.

Why not put up your favourite ?

Birth of Venus by Botticelli (one of my favorites from that period)

Attachments

• Botticelli-Birth-of-Venus.jpg
    Botticelli-Birth-of-Venus.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 306
Another great French artist was the post-Impressionist Georges-Pierre Seurat. To see his pictures for real is fascinating due to his innovative painting technique – (a sort of dotted style reminiscent of those numbered colour cards used to determine colour blindness) – the posh name for his technique is "chromoluminarism and pointillism".

The picture below doesn't really do justice. You can see his work at London's National Gallery – and they've got other good stuff too!

seurat.JPG

Just staying on the poster theme again.

Attachments

• Havana.PNG
    Havana.PNG
    161.8 KB · Views: 255
London Transport and its predecessors were very adept at using posters to encourage off-peak travel. This Edwardian period example has very much the French look about it.

underground.JPG

Another artistic medium I enjoy are cartoons. Not only funny but sometimes witty.

Attachments

• cartoon of sl.PNG
    cartoon of sl.PNG
    664.4 KB · Views: 277
Another great French artist was the post-Impressionist Georges-Pierre Seurat. To see his pictures for real is fascinating due to his innovative painting technique – (a sort of dotted style reminiscent of those numbered colour cards used to determine colour blindness) – the posh name for his technique is "chromoluminarism and pointillism".

The picture below doesn't really do justice. You can see his work at London's National Gallery – and they've got other good stuff too!

View attachment 232350

He was great friends with Paul Signac who developed/ adapted the technique.
Giving his paintings a mosaic like effect.

I did paint this. Quite satisfying actually, being able to create without being fussy.

Attachments

• the chateau des papes avignon.jpg
    the chateau des papes avignon.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 178

View attachment 232350

Really interesting technique, subject very evocative of the period.

Apparently, the big-bustled lady with the parasol is a prostitute, as she has a small monkey on a leash and possibly a small dog: such a pet would allow a gentleman to make an approach in order to talk to / stroke the animal, whereas striking up a direct conversation without having been introduced would have been anathema in such a bourgeois location. Taking a pet along on her "stroll" signifies her availability but also her respect for his dignity / position, and implies a rather higher position within her profession than a street prostitute of Montmartre etc. Interestingly, nobody in the painting looks directly at her/him, the closest other figures have either their backs to her or have slightly averted their gaze: looking directly at them would have been indiscreet and even forward at the time.

Interesting to place this on the right of a composition of Seurats' Bathers at Asnières representing the other side of the river. The Bathers is clearly a representation of the Parisian working classes at leisure, whereas La Grande Jatte shows the bourgeoisie. A youth in the Bathers seems to be shouting (the uncouth fellow!) to (at?) the more proper and staid and fully dressed gentlefolk on the opposite bank. Of course, the middle classes then would not have dreamed of going out in the sun or getting their bodies out in public.

Cartoons – a fantastic and witty resource: especially the social commentary & political pi$$-takers!

Nothing new here though – Hogarth was at it over 250 years ago and somebody has produced a brilliant update.

Gin Lane 1751.JPG Gin Lane 2016.JPG

I did paint this. Quite satisfying actually, being able to create without being fussy.

Wish I had the talent to do that! Always envious of my friends who can do artwork – but at least trading allows me to transfer some of the ill gotten gains to them.

Well painted CV. You got the style of the Impressionists. Good work.

Wish I had the talent to do that! Always envious of my friends who can do artwork – but at least trading allows me to transfer some of the ill gotten gains to them.

Sorry I should explain :)

That is the original, but I did a version of it.

Joking apart, give it a go and don't be concerned what anyone things about the results.

£50.00 will get you started. (y)

Just off to lunch with a millionairess. Hope she doesn't leave me holding the bill !
See you later art fans.

. . . Giving his paintings a mosaic like effect..
As someone who has a formal art training, I can tell you all that mosaics is the area of art to collect. The reason being that for years it's been seen as an old persons hobby, making pot stands with geckos and dolphins etc. Very much craft and not art. It's been so looked down upon by the art establishment, that Nicholas Serota - the former Director of the Tate Gallery - refused to have any mosaic art in the Tate's collection. Given the anti-establishment backlash of late, mosaic art is sure to have its day sooner or later. Get in now while it's still (relatively) cheap. Attached are a few images of a mosaicist whose work I'm rather fond of. I'm fond of the artist too - she's my wife.
Tim.

Attachments

• Pam Wilcox 'Sky & Earth' 2016.jpg
    Pam Wilcox 'Sky & Earth' 2016.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Pam Wilcox 'Dark Winter' 2015.jpg
    Pam Wilcox 'Dark Winter' 2015.jpg
    815.4 KB · Views: 262
  • Pam Wilcox 'Now You See it, Now You Don't'_2 2015.jpg
    Pam Wilcox 'Now You See it, Now You Don't'_2 2015.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 248
The Romans were pretty good at mosaics. And they're worth a bob or two if you find any underneath your garden.