ART - not just pretty pics

Don't mean to be offensive or offend. Just a debate on what is art and what not and intrepretation of it all. . .
Hi Atilla,
I'm not going to respond to the points you've made in this post or your previous replies to my posts in this thread, save to say that I humbly request in 2017 - that before you hit 'Submit Reply' you give greater consideration to the knowledge and experience of those you engage with and, additionally, that you reflect upon your own knowledge and experience of the subject in hand. If you follow this simple suggestion, then I'm very confident that any discussion that ensues will be of interest and benefit to all subscribers and, more importantly, that your personal T2W experience will be a whole lot more enjoyable and rewarding.

Seasons greetings,
;)
Tim.

The great thing about art is that anybody can indulge themselves, however bad the drawing etc. Slop on the paints and voila.

dont think Emin has has been given access to the paint set, thank god.
To make a valid point, tho, should all and sundry be allowed to foist their art on the public?
dont know if slam poetry lasted the course

........ should all and sundry be allowed to foist their art on the public?.......

Yes of course, otherwise how else will we recognise the good stuff from the cr@p?

To be a tad more serious, I don't see art as static, in the way that history is. Its a never-ending debate, and just as in other fields there are sincere and valuable voices and there are also superficial prats. But unless everyone has licence to produce what they term art, we won't be able to fully appreciate what we value as "real" art.

On top of that, really important developments in the arts can come from what seem at the time crude, random, popularist and derivative. But occasionally real gems emerge from the muck.

Gotta have one of the Old Man right ?

Attachments

• Christmas.PNG
    Christmas.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
You have probably guessed by now I am a Monet fan.

Attachments

• Monet 5.PNG
    Monet 5.PNG
    774.5 KB · Views: 129
In keeping with the thread title.

Today we lost a great artist, up there with the very best.

A complicated, deeply troubled individual.

Hi sminicooper,

My view is probably 'establishment' in that I'm a product (for better or for worse) of the art school system. You can stick to your definition of art if it suits you - and I have no issue with it - but I'd say that if you or anyone wants to understand what art is and move beyond the 'my five year old could have done that blindfolded' type observation - then a good place to start would be to understand that 'art' and 'artistic' are two very different things. All the things Atilla mentioned in his reply to my post are artistic (in his view) - but that doesn't make them art. By the same token, pretty cloud formations can be artistic - but they're not art.

This definition is woefully inadequate and horribly outdated. Dictionary definitions are great and have many uses, but this one doesn't tell anyone anything remotely useful about art. The compilers clearly didn't consult anyone from the art world 'establishment' when they came up with this!
;)
Tim.

Thanks for that – a helpful view from someone who's had formal art training. Also, thanks for the link to 8 part series by the late Robert Hughes, entitled 'Shock of the New'. It was made in the early 80s – I wasn't aware of its existence (was out of the country in the nineteen eighties). Having had a quick preview of part 1, I hope to down load the rest soon.

It would seem that art, like many other subjects, is a case of the more you know the more you realise you don't know! One of T2W's most admirable qualities is that there is always somebody on board who knows more than you do and is prepared to explain; failing that, there's always somebody with an opposite view who is most anxious to challenge one's own thinking – and that's really good for you mentally.

Watched Penguins of Madagascar and watching it again. Movie is sooo funny it's an absolute work of art.

If you could have anything you wanted what would it be?

Think about this question and then play the clip... :LOL:

Films have produced lots of posters. Here is one of Lisa Minelli.

Attachments

• Lisa.PNG
    Lisa.PNG
    373 KB · Views: 159
Popular culture and entertainment do not define art, though art often influences and nutures culture. Art is impossible to define, but for me personally beauty or fresh ways of seeing or sensing the world around us or within are usually needed. But then you don't actually need to define art anyway.

John Berger RIP

. . . Art is impossible to define, but for me personally beauty or fresh ways of seeing or sensing the world around us or within are usually needed. . .
Ways of Seeing by John Berger

Ways of Seeing was required reading when I was an art student back in the late 70s. If I had any say in the matter it still would be today as it's an absolutely stonking little book which I recommend highly to anyone who wants a gentle introduction to the art world. It's very dated now, but the points Berger makes are timeless. If possible, try and get hold of an original copy as the modern reprint isn't great by all accounts.

RIP John Berger who died yesterday.
Tim.

Thank goodness for photography making images available to all at a small cost.
This is Kingsand in Devon.

Attachments

• Kingsand.PNG
    Kingsand.PNG
    942.9 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Once we are into photography we can work all sorts of fiddles :cool:

Original – sepia – oils
Kingsand-original.PNG.jpg Kingsand-sepia.jpg Kingsand-oil.jpg