ART - not just pretty pics

Once we are into photography we can work all sorts of fiddles.

Kingsand-oil.jpg

Hi sminicooper,
Not quite a 'fiddle' yet; you need to go a few simple steps further to achieve that. It's easily done and the practice is widespread. You'll be aware of this I'm sure but, for those that aren't, it works like this . . .

With the advent of Photoshop and large format 'Giclee' printing, the so called artist prints out the oil version of Pat's photo (above) on canvas, mounts it onto a stretcher and then daubs a few blobs of real oil paint here 'n there to deceive the viewer into thinking the whole image is an original oil painting. It's quick, requires very little skill and, because they can now claim that the work is 'original' - they are able to justify adding a few zeros to the price tag. To call themselves artists and to sell the 'painting' as original art is borderline criminal in my book. But, they get away with it, just as online marketers who know fek all about trading are able to flog expensive courses to gullible newbies. Caveat emptor applies to the art world every bit as much as it does to trading.
Tim.

View attachment 232938

Hi sminicooper,
Not quite a 'fiddle' yet; you need to go a few simple steps further to achieve that. It's easily done and the practice is widespread. You'll be aware of this I'm sure but, for those that aren't, it works like this . . .

With the advent of Photoshop and large format 'Giclee' printing, the so called artist prints out the oil version of Pat's photo (above) on canvas, mounts it onto a stretcher and then daubs a few blobs of real oil paint here 'n there to deceive the viewer into thinking the whole image is an original oil painting. It's quick, requires very little skill and, because they can now claim that the work is 'original' - they are able to justify adding a few zeros to the price tag. To call themselves artists and to sell the 'painting' as original art is borderline criminal in my book. But, they get away with it, just as online marketers who know fek all about trading are able to flog expensive courses to gullible newbies. Caveat emptor applies to the art world every bit as much as it does to trading.
Tim.

You giving away your trade secrets there Tim??? :cheesy:

Ways of Seeing by John Berger

Ways of Seeing was required reading when I was an art student back in the late 70s. If I had any say in the matter it still would be today as it's an absolutely stonking little book which I recommend highly to anyone who wants a gentle introduction to the art world. It's very dated now, but the points Berger makes are timeless. If possible, try and get hold of an original copy as the modern reprint isn't great by all accounts.

RIP John Berger who died yesterday.
Tim.

I read "Ways of Seeing" when it originally came out and had never before read anything as mind expanding about art. I also realised that a die hard Marxist ridden with prejudice and extreme political narrowness of vision could write and see so inspiringly about art. That was a revelation to my youthful perceptions.
I later read "G." which was very poor so never read anything fictional by him again.
There was an image of a Maggi Hambling work of him in The Times obit today which re-inforced my view of her as being a bit boring insofar as she makes most paintings craggy (craggy Maggi), even the waves exhibition (six exhibits I think !) at the National a few months ago looked craggy ! I do like her Scallop on the beach at Aldeburgh though. In my life time there have only been two really poor exhibitions I've been to, that one and the GoMA in Glasgow . It wasn't just my ignorant lay view, there were no other visitors at the time I went !

Anyway, John Berger is a loss. He made a difference.

Quite funny when people put their image in with a couple of film stars etc.
Photos now lie so well.

Just gotta give Picasso a mention as some rave on he is the 20th century genius. Personally I think his efforts are rubbish but the money men say otherwise.

Attachments

• Girl before.PNG
    Girl before.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 139
View attachment 232938

Hi sminicooper,

Tim.

Just been re-reading that and it's reminded me of a particular artist's gallery whose "paintings" resemble the actual scene remarkably well, yet appear as you describe above albeit the whole scene is oils or whatever other medium. And the prices are ridiculous – we're talking in the range £10-20K. No wonder this guy can afford a plush gallery with a bimbo assistant! I always had a subconscious feeling that there was something unreal about his work. There you go – not just us traders that are dodgy :LOL:

Last edited:
I note we've only had one David Hockney picture so far. I've just been reminded of him because her Ladyship's just been given a facsimile of his 2004 sketchbook of the Yorkshire Wolds. Here's a delightful picture that this sketchbook may have prompted:

Hockney.JPG

Pieter Bruegel, The Massacre of the Innocents

Attachments

• Massacre_Of_The_Innocents_Bruegel.jpg
    Massacre_Of_The_Innocents_Bruegel.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 136
. . . Personally I think his efforts are rubbish but the money men say otherwise.
Not just the 'money men' Pat, everyone!
There's much of his work that I'm not keen on either, and there's lots on display that I suspect he wouldn't allow to be shown if he was still alive today. However, that he was a genius and warrants the praise lavished on him is in little doubt. He chose to go down a semi abstract path - as opposed to sticking to 'facsimile' figurative work that you clearly favour - but that doesn't mean he couldn't do it. On the contrary, his drawing skills are right up there with the greatest - Da Vinci and Michelangelo etc. Look at his early work - or his later graphic work - to see what an exceptional draftsman he was. By way of example, the study of a statue below was drawn when he was just 11 years old and the painting 'Science & Charity' when he was just 15.
Tim.

Picasso.jpg Picasso2.jpg

I note we've only had one David Hockney picture so far. I've just been reminded of him because her Ladyship's just been given a facsimile of his 2004 sketchbook of the Yorkshire Wolds. Here's a delightful picture that this sketchbook may have prompted
Good pick sminicooper.
Arguably, Hockney is England's greatest living artist and he's been a massive inspiration for me. Quite why he's not received official recognition by way of some kind of honour for his unique contribution to the artistic wealth of the nation is a mystery to me. He's knocking on a bit now and I think he has a few health problems - so let's hope he's given a knighthood or something before it's too late!
Tim.

On the subject of David Hockney . . .

Hockney at Tate Britain

I've not yet seen this show, but I've no doubt it will be amazing. For those of you who (understandably) are at best unmoved by a lot of modern art and, at worst, disappointed, Hockney is the artist for you. He's never tried to shock the viewer by challenging their perceptions about art - he just invites you into his world and encourages you to luxuriate is his consummate skill. What he can do with pencil and brush is simply amazing. He is a modern master and at the top of his game - and has been for decades.

When John Hurt died last month, the obituarists played a short clip of him recounting a tale on Desert Island Discs in which he was in a Soho pub in the 70s with Francis Bacon. There was a newspaper on the bar with a picture of Picasso to which Bacon pointed. He turned to Hurt and said something to this effect: "You know John, when Pablo goes - I'll be number one". Well, for my money, the current incumbent of that number one spot and best living British painter is Hockney. Book your tickets now - I promise you won't be disappointed.
Tim.

Last edited:
I think this photo is uplifting on ones spirit. :)

aleppo-viral.jpg

Never give up, never surrender, never look back.

Treat life as a dog would. **** on it and walk away. :)