ARM Holdings sellout

Pat, are you, really, a person who, knowing with certainty that the pound was going to drop as it did, when the referendum results came out, would not have shorted it because it was unpatriotic?

There are some around, but not many and I cannot see the difference between doing that and selling ARM shares.

Pat, are you, really, a person who, knowing with certainty that the pound was going to drop as it did, when the referendum results came out, would not have shorted it because it was unpatriotic?

There are some around, but not many and I cannot see the difference between doing that and selling ARM shares.

Personally I didn't sell the pound but surely you can see the difference between the 2 situations ? Arm Holdings employs real people who have built the company up from nothing by virtue of great effort and ingenuity for themselves and future generations NOT so some Big City slicker can make a quick buck from people who may well be asset strippers. I thought better of you ???????????

NT and hhiusa - well they would if they could and be damned to them frankly.

Personally I didn't sell the pound but surely you can see the difference between the 2 situations ? Arm Holdings employs real people who have built the company up from nothing by virtue of great effort and ingenuity for themselves and future generations NOT so some Big City slicker can make a quick buck from people who may well be asset strippers. I thought better of you ???????????

The problem is that REAL PEOPLE are just as greedy as anyone else when they get the opportunity. In fact, some of those workers are shareholders themselve but they are not going to tell any of their workmates that they have sold them their shares. They will boast about it on T2W and other forums but it's anonymous here, isn't it?

The problem is that REAL PEOPLE are just as greedy as anyone else when they get the opportunity. In fact, some of those workers are shareholders themselve but they are not going to tell any of their workmates that they have sold them their shares. They will boast about it on T2W and other forums but it's anonymous here, isn't it?

I don't suppose you can substantiate that with true figures, can you ?

I am no company lawyer but I feel it may be possible to allow the workers to buy into the decision making side of the company with special shares and thus exert some control. There would have to be a limit of say 1 non transferable share per employee or the money guys would buy up the lot. Failing that the company could strike and be well justified in doing so.

I am interested in preserving the best of British companies not just for Brits but for the world at large. We have plenty to offer.

Last edited:
I don't suppose you can substantiate that with true figures, can you ?

I am no company lawyer but I feel it may be possible to allow the workers to buy into the decision making side of the company with special shares and thus exert some control. There would have to be a limit of say 1 non transferable share per employee or the money guys would buy up the lot. Failing that the company could strike and be well justified in doing so.

I am interested in preserving the best of British companies not just for Brits but for the world at large. We have plenty to offer.

Of course, I can't substantiate it with figures. A lot of the stuff that you have written cannot be, either. Anyone who has shares in a fund of any kind owns company shares indirectly. If a fund sells ARMS shares to benefit, then that will benefit the fund shareholders, too. But a big difference is that the fund shareholder can turn a blind eye, as long as that fund makes money.

It's all talk, Pat. Everyone is as bad as the next in real life. All trying to make money, even the old lady cleaning the stairs.

The trouble with letting employees direct the company is they care more about their wages and the security of their wages than profits. They could end up being more short-termist than an asset-stripping capitalist. No doubt the Woolworths and BHS staff would have voted to keep these lame duck companies running. And why shouldn't they? But is that good for the local / regional / national economy?

As a German set-up with employee representation is mentioned, its interesting its not a German company which has made a take-over move on ARM Holdings. Perhaps they find they can't afford the price? Or daren't take the risk? Who knows.....?

The trouble with letting employees direct the company is they care more about their wages and the security of their wages than profits. They could end up being more short-termist than an asset-stripping capitalist. No doubt the Woolworths and BHS staff would have voted to keep these lame duck companies running. And why shouldn't they? But is that good for the local / regional / national economy?

As a German set-up with employee representation is mentioned, its interesting its not a German company which has made a take-over move on ARM Holdings. Perhaps they find they can't afford the price? Or daren't take the risk? Who knows.....?

It is , also, an interesting point that London, being the world's most important finance centre, must pour billions of pounds into the country, as a whole. The population does not really, want to know how that money is earned, until something like the ARM sale comes along, then the workers' roars hit the roof.

They have their eye on bigger fish?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-stop-Germans-buying-City-s-crown-jewel.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...siness-news-stock-market-and-financial-advice

Berlin officials have drafted plans to intervene if unwelcome foreign investors try to buy strategically important German firms

Not constrained by what some idiot said or did a long time ago in another age.

Make no mistake about it, they know how important it is to have your best guys working for you, not for some opposition group. Fortunately North Korea is dirt poor or they would be buying the latest tech from the City rats.

Last edited:
Not constrained by what some idiot said or did a long time ago in another age.

Make no mistake about it, they know how important it is to have your best guys working for you, not for some opposition group. Fortunately North Korea is dirt poor or they would be buying the latest tech from the City rats.

It was a long time ago, 2007, to be exact. Plenty of time for the UK to do the same. A few big British firms have gone since then, Cadbury's was one, if I remember. Every time that it does, some one raises the roof for a week, or so.

Never mind, my original point was that if I had the shares and could sell them at a good profit, I would do so. What others do is, really, their concern but I left the country because of what the unions and workers were doing to the likes of British Leyland, etc. Any sympathy that I had for unions I lost a long time ago.

Maybe they wouldn't have been lame duck if the employees had had more say in the businesses.

Maybe they wouldn't have been lame duck if the employees had had more say in the businesses.

Well said and quite likely to be true. If the employees haven't got a big stake in the future of the business it is likely to founder. The BHS owners were siphoning off the money that was in the business. It should have been ploughed back in.

There should be a way for the shareholders or employees, by law, to get back at the business bosses who misbehave or who are grossly incompetent. The present Yahoo case makes that point.

Having some employees on the board might have worked but I do, really, believe that Germans are far more obedient to authority than British workers are. That is why Germany is top dog in Europe.

There is not one country in Europe that has had its living handed to it on a plate. All started from ground zero and some have had more opportunities, than others. They have not taken them or, if they had them, they sold them off as assets.

It was a long time ago, 2007, to be exact. Plenty of time for the UK to do the same. A few big British firms have gone since then, Cadbury's was one, if I remember. Every time that it does, some one raises the roof for a week, or so.

Never mind, my original point was that if I had the shares and could sell them at a good profit, I would do so. What others do is, really, their concern but I left the country because of what the unions and workers were doing to the likes of British Leyland, etc. Any sympathy that I had for unions I lost a long time ago.

Problem is much worse Splitlink. Trade Unions just cosmetic. Endemic issues goes down much deeper to management. People who think they know it all and feel entitled with no qualifications.

Management are very good at passing the problem to those below. No vision, no clarity. No ambition. Skewed distribution of income curtails growth, development and creativity of people. Generally makes society unhappy too.

While we all have qualms about Directors in certain cases, I'd feel a lot better as an investor with them at the top than a shop floor committee. I would be surprised if ARM grew to where they are with the aid of employee board representation in the German model.

Well said and quite likely to be true. If the employees haven't got a big stake in the future of the business it is likely to founder. The BHS owners were siphoning off the money that was in the business. It should have been ploughed back in.

There should be a way for the shareholders or employees, by law, to get back at the business bosses who misbehave or who are grossly incompetent. The present Yahoo case makes that point.

Shareholders have rights already.

And bosses who are fraudulent should answer to the law.

In both cases, regulation might be better drafted and executed, but the responsibility for that lies with Ministers.

While we all have qualms about Directors in certain cases, I'd feel a lot better as an investor with them at the top than a shop floor committee. I would be surprised if ARM grew to where they are with the aid of employee board representation in the German model.

It's not about a shop floor committees, but about the involvement of employees in the business. John Lewis/Waitrose do fine by involving their staff even to the extent of regarding them as partners.

As an investor I want to see my money grow whatever. As a citizen I want to see rather more consideration for quality of life rather than a mad dash for every penny of profit that can be wrung out.

It's not about a shop floor committees, but about the involvement of employees in the business. John Lewis/Waitrose do fine by involving their staff even to the extent of regarding them as partners.

As an investor I want to see my money grow whatever. As a citizen I want to see rather more consideration for quality of life rather than a mad dash for every penny of profit that can be wrung out.

Quality of life of employees, customers, partners and the general population should be no concern of a company. Unless they can make a profit out of it.

Involving employees in company direction decisions sounds like letting the passengers on an airliner help out with the flight controls.

Quality of life of employees, customers, partners and the general population should be no concern of a company. Unless they can make a profit out of it.

I don't know which rock you live under Tom but surely the company not only has obligations to staff such as pensions, health and safety etc. but need their co-operation at least to be successful.