ARM Holdings sellout

Quality of life of employees, customers, partners and the general population should be no concern of a company. Unless they can make a profit out of it.

Involving employees in company direction decisions sounds like letting the passengers on an airliner help out with the flight controls.

It's that attitude that has brought about miles of red tape because companies can't be trusted not to act to the detriment of civilised life without being forced to.

Involving employees is better described as letting the pilot make the flight decisions when he sees the ground looming up when the "director" back at head office says there is still 1000 feet to go.

I have no problem with people earning money reasonably ethically but it really is the pits in my opinion when it comes to mugging old ladies, cheating the weak and vulnerable as Osbourne tried to do in the budget etc. Money is useful stuff but not the be all and end all. It is only figures in the bank account after all.

I don't know which rock you live under Tom but surely the company not only has obligations to staff such as pensions, health and safety etc. but need their co-operation at least to be successful.

The company must comply with the law in what it does and what it sells. A smart company will take steps to attract, reward and retain its intellectual property. After that, anything goes.

I have no problem with people earning money reasonably ethically but it really is the pits in my opinion when it comes to mugging old ladies, cheating the weak and vulnerable as Osbourne tried to do in the budget etc. Money is useful stuff but not the be all and end all. It is only figures in the bank account after all.

Legally earned profit is fine. Illegally earned profit is a bad business objective - its liable to be confiscated directly or via fines or suspension of trading via the regulators or legislators.

I don't recognise ethical or unethical money.

Legally earned profit is fine. Illegally earned profit is a bad business objective - its liable to be confiscated directly or via fines or suspension of trading via the regulators or legislators.

I don't recognise ethical or unethical money.

Illegally earned money is immoral and, in addition, it is a pain.I have, always, been straight with mine. At the same time, what is mine is mine and I object to being the one to take risks with it, only to be told that I have no right to sell it when I want. No one wants to know, when it has to be sold at a loss. "That was your fault, you made a bad investment", then.

Don't go holier than thou on us ,Pat.

There is an old saying that says, "If you don't look after your money, no one else will".

Don't go holier than thou on us ,Pat.

There is an old saying that says, "If you don't look after your money, no one else will".

Nothing holy about getting feeble minded politicians to look after the country's valuable assets.

There are thousands of employees and their families that depend on this company. That alone should be enough for the politicians to move to save it from being asset stripped by foreigners. Let alone it's leading edge in technology. The selfish money grubbing by individuals surely must give way to the national interest.

Britain should be buying up such companies not selling out.

Nothing holy about getting feeble minded politicians to look after the country's valuable assets.

There are thousands of employees and their families that depend on this company. That alone should be enough for the politicians to move to save it from being asset stripped by foreigners. Let alone it's leading edge in technology. The selfish money grubbing by individuals surely must give way to the national interest.

I think the Japanese have said they are looking at adding to and increasing capacity and operations.

So if I was heading this purchase, usually don't make any changes for at least 6 months but create a mirror operation and share R&D. It's a good fit for a country like Japan who is big manufacturer of consumer electronics.

As British Government, I think they should ask some questions and place some obligations or red lines subject to time duration around the purchase.

I simply don't like all our national treasures being sold with no questions asked.

I agree with all that. In the meantime, while it is going on,watch your own interest.

I had an uncle who was an ex-policeman. How did he become an "ex"? He was told by his union, in the '20s General Strike, to go out on strike. It appears that he was the only one, at his station, who did so.

I'm not sure you can claim ARM as a national asset. It may have started here, but it is owned by the shareholders who are probably spread far and wide across the world.

I'm not sure you can claim ARM as a national asset. It may have started here, but it is owned by the shareholders who are probably spread far and wide across the world.

I am trying to say there is more to this question than which money men currently have the controlling interest. There are the employees and their families. Do they want to be flogged off to some foreign outfit ? Has anyone even bothered to ask them how they feel about it ?
2. As a world leader in tech they should be kept in Britain under British control. For the future generations to work in.
3. The old business capitalist model is way out of date and too callous to it's employees. Cadburies suffered a similar fate. Promises were broken by the new owners of this once splendid company. I would argue to the Capitalists who can't see farther than then next cheque that much more money will be generated by this company if the employees are listened to and kept happy. Time for a change. If May won't, Corbyn probably will.

Another scandal brewing in the City is BHS. The soon to be Mr. Green and family according to the papers have been syphoning millions out of it's pension fund etc.

Much to their discomfort the uglier antics of the capitalist money vultures is no longer hidden in the dark recesses. About time the Capt. Bob clones took heed or face penalties. Money back say the tabloids and I agree. Robbing pensioners is no longer the blood sport it used to be.

The ghost of Cadburys should be enough to galvanise the politicians into some action. The current new capitalist speak of letting the markets decide is imho very feeble. Their Bristol factory was promised to keep going but within weeks it was closed. You can't believe them.

If the Brexit route is to be followed then the politicians had better keep the best of British going.

Last edited:
The ghost of Cadburys should be enough to galvanise the politicians into some action. The current new capitalist speak of letting the markets decide is imho very feeble. Their Bristol factory was promised to keep going but within weeks it was closed. You can't believe them.

If the Brexit route is to be followed then the politicians had better keep the best of British going.

Indians running British Steel and Japan running British motor industry. There are others but to labour the point, British Steele may have stood a chance if we had local industry they could supply to. Building cars/bikes/trains & aeroplanes/boats obviously would be big help.

I'm still flummoxed as to what we are going to export to the rest of the world. I really am.

We need to attract inward investment I agree but not this kind where foreign elements come in, buy out and then move out taking our key assets with them.

It's crazy. People will argue this point in the name of capitalism and kick sand into EU's eyes for trying to maintain their market place by virtue of size and structure.

This enables us to compete and have a stall in the market place. Without it, we are well and truly up the creek without a paddle.

Same ole answer. We have to build stuff of better quality and lower cost than the foreigners. There is a huge over capacity of production in the world. We gotta make sure we aren't the ones to go bust. An answer, which is not very paliatable is flexible wages.

The old Union/Managers model has gone for ever, but can Britain stomach it ?

Same ole answer. We have to build stuff of better quality and lower cost than the foreigners. There is a huge over capacity of production in the world. We gotta make sure we aren't the ones to go bust. An answer, which is not very paliatable is flexible wages.

Absolutely and this is what I find incredibly difficult to understand.

We are able to build the best weapons of mass destruction like bombs, tanks and planes but can't build a car, a watch or any industrial machinery at comparable quality.

I'd commission a study on this. Mrs Theresa May - take note please :idea:

At the moment in the Union/Management relationship we are squarely in the Management side (ever since Maggie maybe). The result is that the bosses start to take too much advantage (and haven't they just) until it becomes too much and workers set greater store by the Unions. Gradually Unions gain more power until the pendulum swings. Then, of course, they start taking too much advantage of their position and along comes another Maggie to chuck a bucket of boiling oil over them. And so it goes on.

At the moment in the Union/Management relationship we are squarely in the Management side (ever since Maggie maybe). The result is that the bosses start to take too much advantage (and haven't they just) until it becomes too much and workers set greater store by the Unions. Gradually Unions gain more power until the pendulum swings. Then, of course, they start taking too much advantage of their position and along comes another Maggie to chuck a bucket of boiling oil over them. And so it goes on.

We could learn something from the Germans and have a Union rep on the board of directors. More of a partnership. No more this we and they mentality imho.
It is vital that both sides keep the company successful. And keep the money vultures away too.

We could learn something from the Germans and have a Union rep on the board of directors. More of a partnership. No more this we and they mentality imho.
It is vital that both sides keep the company successful. And keep the money vultures away too.

Yes, those that have turned the trick of creating more of a partnership have done very well. Strong bosses vested interest is a big inhibitor, of course.