Appeal to all members of Trade 2 Win

DashRiprock

Experienced member
1,650 482
mate you gotta think out of the box

find the head honcho and write him a letter saying

"look, I'm shaggin your wife and she's gettin a bit clingy. Gizza job and I'll convince her not to divorce you."

DionysusToast

Legendary member
5,963 1,501
I genuinely thought this would make my application more attractive.
Definitely have to rethink the approach I use based on what you have said, as I can see how applying for a job is the same as sales. The items in the bargain bucket eventually find their way to the bin.

It is rather counter-intuitive from the applicants perspective. Pur yourself in the perspective of someone who needs a guy to do a good job. Someone who will be getting hundreds of letters.

I have a friend who couldn't get a reply from a CEO until he sent flowers with his resume attached. He got the job.

Most senior guys have a 'gatekeeper' - his PA who's job, amonst others, it is to keep people from bothering them. The flowers got sent as a way to get past the gatekeeper (what PA is going to hold back flowers OR read the attached letter). Just getting past the PA can be a pain. Your letters might be getting binned by such a person.

I'm glad I don't have to go through all that again...

There's a good book called "What color is your parachute?" - it's a bit cheesy in parts but it discusses ways to approach getting a job that don't involve just sending out emails or using job web sites. It is well worth a read.

DashRiprock

Experienced member
1,650 482
mate you gotta think out of the box

find the head honcho and write him a letter saying

"look, I'm shaggin your wife and she's gettin a bit clingy. Gizza job and I'll convince her not to divorce you."

or, find a big boss man with a daughter older than 25 and make her pregnant.

Job in the BAG!

DashRiprock

Experienced member
1,650 482
(note: you prolly shouldnt mix my 2 ways up, do one or the other but dont do both, that will probably make life pretty bad for you)

D70

Established member
839 195
If I were to get your CV on my desk, you wouldnt make it to the next round because:

- You say you have experience - I say, you're 26, you have no experience.
- Management? What could you have managed at your age.
- Trainee position within financial industry - here's my post room, down the stairs and left, see you in the canteen (maybe)
- A degree, great, but where from and what grade?
- 3 a levels but you only mention 2 of them?
- Use of "Dec." but also use of "June" - you have no consistency
- 4 as levels, what were they?
- Maths......? dont you mean mathematics?
- A gap below some headings but not all - did this cv take 3 minutes?
- october to january 2010 is fairly good but i wouldnt have read that far normally

And compared to the other 200 cv's i've received, you have no experience (internship or otherwise), no masters, no phd.

Post room is about all i can offer you at this stage...... thanks for you interest in our firm........

Reactions: Shakone

Doomberg

Established member
960 75
If I were to get your CV on my desk, you wouldnt make it to the next round because:

- You say you have experience - I say, you're 26, you have no experience.
- Management? What could you have managed at your age.

- Trainee position within financial industry - here's my post room, down the stairs and left, see you in the canteen (maybe)
- A degree, great, but where from and what grade?
- 3 a levels but you only mention 2 of them?
- Use of "Dec." but also use of "June" - you have no consistency
- 4 as levels, what were they?
- Maths......? dont you mean mathematics?
- A gap below some headings but not all - did this cv take 3 minutes?
- october to january 2010 is fairly good but i wouldnt have read that far normally

And compared to the other 200 cv's i've received, you have no experience (internship or otherwise), no masters, no phd.

Post room is about all i can offer you at this stage...... thanks for you interest in our firm........

I disagree with your views on this, sure when it comes to sheer experience then older 'can' be better but saying "What could you of managed at your age?" he could of managed more than a capable 40 year old for all you know, what a funny statement. The right applicant with the right drive should be given 2nd thought, in my time i have seen people from all walks of life do well. I was given a chance aged 21, i started at the bottom and within a few months i had 2 dozen people under me of all ages, and despite being one of the youngest there, things were going great and i got the job done. Even in my own business ventures i have seen young people do well, in fact the top 3 people who i have employed that made us money were all under 25, they were not very academically intelligent but they were there for one reason.. to make some cash for the firm which ultimately means for themselves, academics mean nothing in my opinion... you can pay for schooling but you can't buy passion

rsh01

Experienced member
1,184 299
In terms of being unprofessional, I think this is an unfair comment

i didnt say you were unprofessional, i countered doomberg saying you were professional. it was neither, imo it was a just a bit poor. ok your doing other stuff as well - great.

Why not try for Front Office straight away?

because you won't get into FO - check out job spec for FO grad jobs or even FO support staff (i thought this wld be the first thing you wld have done). unless you do what dash suggests.

ignorant and naive???

i suggested you were being a little naive rather than ignorant in your approach, ignorant wld indicate you have chosen to ignore that this is a bit of a crap approach (you called it a punt, not me) and gone ahead anyway, which i cannot conclude as i don't know you.

hang out in a traders local and become the resident coke dealer. or wait for doom's job offer.

some prop houses do offer free courses, with no dodgy scam (the one i am at does). you just have to have an excellent cv (academic) to be chosen out of the hundreds of applicants they get each mth.

gl anyway.

comullan

13 0
Going to try knocking doors down the city tomorrow have a list of names and addresses so will get a number of face to face introductions by the end of the day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock