Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Would you place a trade in the early hours on FTSE, when volume is almost non-existent? The chance of big gaps overnight i.e between 9pm & 7am is fairly slim these days...there's only been a handful of 40 point gaps this year and even when there is, there's usually an attempt to close the gap shortly after the 8am open (which usually fails!)

Most days I have limit orders in the Asian session for FTSE.
Currently today short 5885 and long 5795.
Lot of the times never get hit, but look to close the gap in the first hour if they get filled.
Will decide where to take a loss in the first 15mins of FTSE open.
Mainly work on for AUD and ASX trades in the Asian and Aussie session.

Would you place a trade in the early hours on FTSE, when volume is almost non-existent? The chance of big gaps overnight i.e between 9pm & 7am is fairly slim these days...there's only been a handful of 40 point gaps this year and even when there is, there's usually an attempt to close the gap shortly after the 8am open (which usually fails!)

I probably wouldn't enter into a position at that time no, not under normal circumstances. Today is different as I have an open position from earlier on today that I'm monitoring and with all the data due out in the Asian session I don't particulary want to be asleep if it does all kick off.

You're right about gaps attempting to be closed and failing, certainly for a while now there's been little volume coming out of the Asian session but this makes it slightly easier to read come the open don't you think?

Good morning Soloquan,

I thought that I got up early, being a European, but I just take a quick look around before going to a gym.you seem to have been up all night! Is this a regular occurrence or are you on a different TZ?

Morning All
BHP + 2.10%
RIO +3.90%
Everthing Up.
Head line data good, but not good when you dig into the data.
30 to go in Sydney.

CHINA INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTION (JUL) AT 9.2%Y/Y VS. 9.7% EXPECTED AND 9.5% PRIOR. RETAIL SALES AT 13.1%Y/Y VS. 13.5% EXPECTED AND 13.7% PRIOR.

Just released, bad data

Morning SD

One of those days when you need to change sides from long in the morning to short in the afternoon.
Still like buying dips in key areas.

the market is technically very bullish, the energy behind the up move appears to be waning, evidenced by the small up closes and very low volumes.

My SB currently offering 5862

sorry i got same figure, i had added the ftse sept future to my watch list and i quoted the wrong figure

5862 has a lot of the asia strength priced in

5862 ftse implies dow +60pts

Last edited: