Anyone received this? (property searches)

NEILM16

Hi ALL,
Recieved an interesting piece of post today .First i thought its Vince Stanzione offering me something amazing!again!But no to my surprise it was from a guy called Peter Newey offering me to part with £3500 to go to a seminar in london heathrow to find out how i could earn £500 per week plus by carrying out local property searches ?Apparently at £100 a go!!Anyone had this too?Anyone know anything from a solicitor background to know if an individual can do local searches on behalf of others?Im certainly not paying £3500 to find out how to do it even if u can!!
Funningly enough he offers a full refund if by 12 midday on the date of the course im not convinced i can make money?Sound like anyone else we know?

Snakeoil Spillage Here

you would have to be a lazy greedy chappie to fall for such old toffee.

Local searches are free - walk into the council offices.

The craze of building your own etc. has spawned magazines that offer web sites with property searches thereon. One I think charges £65 to go on their site data base (yearly subscription that is)

Some are free but all a sight cheaper than the chancer who mailed you.

Look for a magazine called "Build It" in Smith's for hints on property etc.

Of course you could always go to evening classes to study as a Conveyancer.
:D

Last edited:
I also got this and checked it out. There was market for this a while ago but now the market is flooded so you would have a lot of competition in trying to make your money.

I would keep your money in your pocket rather than spend it on this.

Paul

Basically local searches can either be done the traditional slow way by sending a request to the council, or else if time is more pressing a personal search can be done, which means the result is same day. It definitely happens, and the amount he quotes is about right, but I'd be surprised if there is a huge amount of work available. AFAIK most house sales proceed without any problems with the traditional posted local search, and it is unlikely to be great as the local authorities are trying to speed up and automate things as time goes on.

wysi

NeilM16

This is from Manhattan by another name. Peter Newey actually offers the same package on another web site for £495. So no need to pay £3,500 or fall for the Manhattan sales pitch.
I attended something by them about 2 years ago, at the same Heathrow venue, this was quite reasonable at just £950 (NOT). I too found that they offered a refund at 12 noon on the day, they did stick by that, but the deal was a real duffer, a mail shot for web marketing by Bill Myers! (boot camp fame) But out of 100 people 60 people stayed and didn't claim the refund, so about £60K for Manhattan by the end of the day. (nearly as good as VS).

With regard to the offer you received, what they don't tell you is that by 2005 all searches will be done online, by anyone who wants them, even members of the general public for about £25. They say you will have solicitors banging at your door to do the searches for them. I don't think so, solicitors I have spoken to said they will join the national online scheme when it's generally available. You certainly don't need to pay someone to explain how to do searches, it's easy. You also need to be fully insured, about £100 pm, if you can find someone to insure you.

If you have the cash to stump up front, it would be interesting to go along and put a question to them about the online searches and then claim your money back, I wonder how many would still be left at the end of the day - Only fools and their money I suspect.

Thanks to Sally and Paul!!You have certainly seen that one off!!
And as for the fact its going online by 2005 its amazing he has the gumption to try charging us all £3500!!
Is manhattan a publisher then?If u have a business idea do u take it to them and they organise distribution?I guess thats why Vinces letter and Peter's look very familiar!!

I got it too :rolleyes:

Maybe the info should be passed onto the guy at The Guardian to do a "Darren Winters" investigation into him. Con artist.

Hi Felllow members,

Thansk for your feed back on this, I recieved it and had spent some time thinking about it.

It did sound very good when you read the letter, BUT dont they all.

No doubt these people KNOW how to write very clever written sales material.

Im disappointed to read this thing has been offered at so many different prices.or offered in other formatts
Maybe manhatton persuaded Peter to milk his idea, no doubt taking it from say £500 to make him £3000 a time.

I did also attend one of there meetings earlier this year for another opportunity to sell some of the latest computer / web based/ mailorder products from the states.

At the time I had been offered a similar thing from Stuart Goldsmith who at the time claimed to be retiring, SO that caught my eye to think it may be genuiene.

I have some of SGs material and did think maybe he was a Good mail order guru who could offer genuine MO ops.

I think he did, BUT he also suggests one has to develop their own to sell and thats the tricky part as much as all the marketing ideas sound very good.

To be honest I did think it sounded good, BUT I do admitt they charged severe for some of their products, making 1000 %+ profit margins on some products. Great business idea, NO doubt, BUT I surpose its a question of morals or judgement.

So many other businesses rip us all off , so they may say why shouldnt we.Its a pure question of How much and If someones willing to pay, why not charge what we can get.

I dont think its illegal.

I stayed only for the 1st half then backed out. MOST stayed probably 99%

I did regret it later, BUT know wonder.

MAYBE they do offer half decent opportunities and even this latest venture may be worth persueing IF it would work even for just 12 months IF you can earn even 25% of what he states, BUT having read some of the comments here no doubt its a bit off puttting.

No doubt these seminars are now a big thing with them, and they no doubt make huge gains on these. IT amazes me how many however are still willing to pay for them.

I noted a picture of one of Mannhattens seminars and I bet there was well over a 1000 people attended.

VSs has also had good attendence.

What Id like to know is HOW many do they run offering the same products around the country

The one I attended had about 50 people
2 days before the other date option i had been given also no doubt had 50 people

100 people at £3000 at time = £300,000.

IF they did this 52 weeks a year mind blowing.!

They could possinbly do even more.

Andrew Reynolds did say he was going to the USA, and I was informed chances were he wouldnt be back , BUT it appears his company is still running the seminars for him MAYBE.

At the time because Anderew was going to the USA, I was VERY wary about paying the money to them.

I did actually think Andrew seemed quiet genuiene, BUT no doubt if you have so many people wh o have attended such seminars surely he can only offer a few of these so called great offers to a selct few customer base.

That was the impression I had, BUT I do wonder if he had wrote to all his client base mailing list, OR does he have VARIOUS offers and say only offers the opportunities to say a few hundred at a time.

I myself would be very disappointed if he had told me that his last opportunity was only offered to say 100 people, THEN later I read on this site he had also done other seminars to many others selling the same idea.

Has anyone experienced this at all or even took up his offers before.?

Thks Pete

Hi traders

IMHO all MD does is offer the public any thing they feel they can make a shed load of money from.

What started out as publishing has now seemed to have turned out to be any so called guru that they feel they can make money off the back of!

Fair enough, lets face it they are in business to make money.

However, I am of the feeling that if they just carry on the way they are then eventually they are going to lose the cred that they have worked so hard to build up.as a few people that have used the services offered perhaps may not reach the " value for money " level!

Still, perhaps with 3 mill in the bank by then and thats a conservative essty, then I would ask will they give a damn!!

I dont think so!

This is my own opi. and I myself am interested in publishing at a future date, hence why I have met some of these people.

On an earlier post I have mentioned the name of Mr Gosling who I have attended hsi seminars and been well impressed.

I was sad to see that he is going to be partof the Manga thingy in Spain with VS and so obviously put together by MD.

I hope that chaff gets thrown away and the wheat gets left.

IMHO

Andi

Hi Novice,

You are thinking along the lines that I was,

I did think Manhatten appeared to be good company and I do think they may well have ofered some good ideas / opportunitys.

BUT NOW they are into these very expensive seminars, it does make me wonder if Now they have made it as such if they will start to let its followers down.

It maybe unfair to make assumptions UNLESS some of the things said have been strictly unfair or misleading.

It would be nice to hear from anyone who has had some success from them.

I think Streetwise mktg started off OK BUT know they are far to well known and advertise in the press every day flooding some of the ideas that may have been OK.

It may be true however that only 1% will actually do anything with these offers as so many possibly do think this is Oversold.

I was told by Stuart Goldsmith once that he claimed to have sold some course at £2000 and 200 turned up after paying this fee.

He said he could not believe it as only about 10 acually worked it.

And this was a tight nit opportunity.

So MAYBE Manhatten realise this.

I was told by them on the last seminar I went to that they would Strictly only offer there last idea to those who went ahead and that they wouldnt re promote it. That was the Mail order latest internet products from the USA Biz idea where he was claiming he was leaving to set up in Florida and BUY a million $ home which he intended to invite all the clients on the day to visit him. NOT to do with La manga in Spain.

I wonder if anyone Knows about if they are aware this has been offered else where apart from the Heathrow venture that I attended about 4 months ago.

I also wonder if he did actualy go or has he now returned back in the UK.

Pete

novice101 said:
Hi traders

IMHO all MD does is offer the public any thing they feel they can make a shed load of money from.

What started out as publishing has now seemed to have turned out to be any so called guru that they feel they can make money off the back of!

Fair enough, lets face it they are in business to make money.

However, I am of the feeling that if they just carry on the way they are then eventually they are going to lose the cred that they have worked so hard to build up.as a few people that have used the services offered perhaps may not reach the " value for money " level!

Still, perhaps with 3 mill in the bank by then and thats a conservative essty, then I would ask will they give a damn!!

I dont think so!

This is my own opi. and I myself am interested in publishing at a future date, hence why I have met some of these people.

On an earlier post I have mentioned the name of Mr Gosling who I have attended hsi seminars and been well impressed.

I was sad to see that he is going to be partof the Manga thingy in Spain with VS and so obviously put together by MD.

I hope that chaff gets thrown away and the wheat gets left.

IMHO

Andi

How many mailings did u get re the proprerty searches? I couldn't believe when I got 4 over 4-6 weeks.

This is my 1st day/post on here. Wish I had known about it b4 I met VS + DW!!!

Hi Wolfie!

I got 3 through the door ina 4 week period.

Which is rather amazing since there was a cover letter in with two of them stating that the offer was not to be reapeated :rolleyes:

There again I was not to worry!

I didnt take them up on the offer in the first place!

:cheesy: :cheesy:

It could be the usual case of the offers always come when the market has already turned and its just the insiders wanting to take profit from the mugs on the way down.

I have been in the process of selling my house and buying another one and there have been many conversations with estate agents and people who know what they are talking about and at the moment and perhaps for a while to come we are supposed to going througha tough time in the investment/rental side of property.

Hence IMHO the need to sell the idea!!!

Andi

Speaking of Manhattan Direct (and Andrew Reynolds), it seems their advertising/mail shots have come to the attention of the ASA before!

Advertising Standards Authority adjudication, 14th June, 2000

...yet he is still sending out these unverifiable claims: One I saw recently for "The Product Marketer's Cash-on-Demand Masterclass" was charging £4696.48 incl for a one-day seminar at, yes you guessed it, Heathrow.

In the blurb it said: "...I'm also going to teach something which has been averaging £29,167 per week for me...I call it my Cash-on-Demand system." And: "£21,411.29 per day...every day... that's what I averaged last year."

I call it well-dodgy advertising especially as you have to go to the seminar to gain "verifiable" evidence of how much can be made!

I got the same mailshot,
It concerns me that all he is doing is repeating the last opportunity that he offered last year, BUT has changed the advertising material to sound different.

He probably is selling exactly the same concept, BUT may have different products.

IF HE was genuiene, then I surpose he can do this every time he comes up with new products. I dont surpose theres a law against that. However Maybe some of his clients who paid for the idea he had last year may not be too pleased if too many are doing the same thing..

There was no further write up from the ASA that I am aware of. That was wrote along time ago in 2000.

I agree some of his latest concepts have NOT be made clear for the individual to make a decision as he only gives about 3 days to make up ones mind.

Two ways of looking at it, he does this because it is a better way to con certain TOP mail list type of potential customers who shown interest in his past products.

OR if hes in any way genuiene he MAY be doing a favour by strictly limiting his offer and being good enough to share it to a select few lucky people.. HOWEVER as you say he wants 4K for the idea.

IF the IDEAS genuiene, you do have to question how this compares to other BIZ ideas out there. MANY would cost you MUCH more than 4K.

I have studied much of the so called Mail order type biz ideas some years ago. The Concept no doubt if one has the right products is VERY good. You have little overheads and can work from home etc, NO staff required.

What MAY be a probelem is he may suggest selling some of the products at exceptionally high mark up prices. This then becomes a question of ones morallity.

Would you sell a product costing you £50 for £1000.

GREAT BUSINESS idea, BUT is it MORAL .. This is down to the individual, BUT I do KNOW MANY no doubt feel ripped of if they buy certain products for £200 or so , then later when they have become more wiser to the world realise OR believe they were conned.

I personnally however would think If he suggested selling his products at say £1000 and its costing you £50, then IF you sold it at say £150 to £200, ITS still a good return IF people are willing to pay for the products and they are in demand.

NO DOUBT his sales material does appeal to a high % of persons whos interested in BIZ ideas, OR he wouldnt have got where he is today. His Marketing does get MANY peoples interest. NO DOUBT.

Those wiser to the world MAY see right through it.

At the end of the day I dont think hes breaking any laws. Im sure he would havbe been arrested a long time ago. UNLESS thats why he moved to the USA and theres more to it.. HOWEVER hes kept his same company name.

TRUE conmen would have changed theres many times over.

As far as BIZ opportunitys goes, I think MAYBE hes one of the more honest ones IF you can call em that.

Hope this helps.

My thoughts are based on my experience and having been to one of his meetings.

I am NO WAY suggesting hes 100% genuiene.

Pete

Bluewave said:
Speaking of Manhattan Direct (and Andrew Reynolds), it seems their advertising/mail shots have come to the attention of the ASA before!

Advertising Standards Authority adjudication, 14th June, 2000

...yet he is still sending out these unverifiable claims: One I saw recently for "The Product Marketer's Cash-on-Demand Masterclass" was charging £4696.48 incl for a one-day seminar at, yes you guessed it, Heathrow.

In the blurb it said: "...I'm also going to teach something which has been averaging £29,167 per week for me...I call it my Cash-on-Demand system." And: "£21,411.29 per day...every day... that's what I averaged last year."

I call it well-dodgy advertising especially as you have to go to the seminar to gain "verifiable" evidence of how much can be made!

PS,

I paid 3K to go to one of his similar seminars last year.

About 50 People attended.

I NEW I couldnt actually afford it at the time, BUT I really did want to find out what it was all about.

I did pay the fee prior to attending the meeting.

At the mid day session you had to decide if it was for you.

I NEW I couldnt go ahead so I did ask for my money back

I DID get it no problems/ questions asked.

UNFORTUNATELY they wouldnt allow me to saty the FULL day to learn what it was ALL about.. I ONLY got an introduction by attending the 1st half of the day.

There was only 2 people left by midday.

Ive NO idea if anyone later had asked for a refund.

The deal was surposed to be you had to decide by midday.

Most things to me seemed quiet good. The ideas and concept seemed OK.

It was JUST on one product costing him less than £100, he suggested selling at £800 that I wasnt too happy with after seeing what the product was.

However IT maybe the information contents of writers course he was selling was of high quality content. I am not qualified in that area to comment. Maybe a writer would find this material well worth £800 and think nothing of it.

IF he offered some products I liked at a reasonable price that I new would sell OK even at say 2 or 3 times there cost, I do think his ideas would be OK ... i surpose its all down to ones personal situation and circumstances.

MAYBE IM TOO SOFT, and Hes the one with his head screwed on and Charges what he believes is the correct costs for his products.

IT may well be that MANY products are well UNDERVALUED.

Look at PCs as an example of this.

The PC we have today would have been worth several million in 1969 when man landed on the moon.

I and Im sure many complain about the cost of things and always want em cheaper. BUT in reality many are probably well subsidised.

Its possibly just that many business men are forced to lower their prices to compete in this highly competetive world.

If they had no competition no doubt they would charge much more.

MAYBE he has lttle competition.

I've worked for a local council before in the Land Ownwership Enquiries dept.

It was a while back, but here goes anyway ....

Your local council will be able to tell you if a piece of land/property is council owned or not. Phone up, write a letter or email it takes about a minute to look up. This service will more than likely be free.

If it's not council owned and you want to find out the owner your next port of call is the land registry . They charge a few pounds for each search.

Like NEILM16 said previously, by 2005 all goverment services have got to be online. So you'll be able to do these searches on the internet.

In some cases the land won't be registered with the land registry. Usually because it was bought sold years and years ago before any legislation came in enforcing it's registration (and nobody has registered it since). For any new land/property changing hands you must notify the relevant authorities, but this hasn't always been the case.

The advice we used to give out was to contact the owners of neighbouring land and see if they knew anything.

I can't see what gap in the market this service fills. Surely there's no way it could contain information on all the properties the government has no information on. I'd be very interested to find out though.

Greetings, I am a totally new member to the Board, logged on because recently I received the latest in a long line of mailings from Manhattan Direct/Andrew Reynolds which now seems to be more under the name of Tim Lowe/Markiteer Ltd

Basically this is a one page letter claiming that Andrew was going into semi retirement, Tim was helping him clean out his office etc. and came across a wonderful opportunity in the "project vault"which must have been overlooked blah blah.

You are directed to a private password protected site and invited to fork out eight or nine hundred quid for various videos and materials.

Has anyone any experience of this organisation? Is there any merit to their stuff or is it simply a case of "If we can persuade you to fork out several thousand pounds for a red hot piece of advertising copy, you can do the same to a load of other suckers?"

I've no real intention of buying but any views/input would be appreciated nevertheless!

Rules:

Are we allwoed to grass and put up websites where they are trying to con people. I know two, I phoned them and went through the figures and just totally ripped them apart. I really want to help people not get ripped off. Look at PPP up north they got investigaged by the police and were shut down. They had 97k in cash and about 9 million in the bank.