Anti-Spyware

oatman said:
AntiVir, Sunbelt Kerio, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Ewido, WinPatrol, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard.
There's no room left for spyware! :cheesy:

roguetrader said:
I use Router firewall, Sygate software firewall, Avast! AV, A squared anti-malware, SuperAntiSpyware, Spywareblaster, System Safety Monitor, and Spybot S&D, covers most areas.
I use Opera 9 for most browsing.
Gonna take a look at some of the stuff like Sandboxie etc, but don't know too much about them yet

All I got at the moment is Windows Defender and AVG. Maybe I need more, compered to what you are guys are using

Are all these Spyware running in the background and if so does it slow you PC down?.

laptop1 said:
Hi rossored

My laptop is an Acer 1670LMI

As for spywear and anti Virus what do personlay use ross?

Thanks

that should be easy to open up - try googling for it if you fancy a go.

I use NOD32 for my AV, plus two long time favourites that use no resources for spyware - AdAware and Spybot S&D. Oh, and Firefox rather than IE. Doubt I'll ever go back to IE, either.

rossored said:
that should be easy to open up - try googling for it if you fancy a go.

I use NOD32 for my AV, plus two long time favourites that use no resources for spyware - AdAware and Spybot S&D. Oh, and Firefox rather than IE. Doubt I'll ever go back to IE, either.

Matt

I will do that, I dont use IE, I use AOL as my home page, but are these linked in some way.

And would it be better to work from Firefox over AOL home page?

I getting a PC dummies guide for Christmas so I wont need to ask stupid questions on here LOL

:eek:

Think you need to check your source on the free part. The statement that people keep throwing around refers to support for the last version, they have just released a nre free version in the last 6 weeks or so Vers 7.5.

I stand corrected, that will teach me to read emails properly

laptop1 said:
All I got at the moment is Windows Defender and AVG. Maybe I need more, compered to what you are guys are using.
Easy to get carried away with dozens of programs. In general, I would say, if you are on a broadband connection, you should be behind a router with a hardware firewall, a software firewall on each machine, whilst not necessary is handy to keep an eye on outbound connections. Regarless of connection type you should have a good Anti-virus with realtime protection, (Avast!, AVG, or AntiVir, are all good choices imho) Windows Defender is useful as it keeps an eye on attempts to change your registry as well as an active anti-spyware scan. Any other anti-spyware scanners can be "on demand" Aside from that one of the biggest security steps you can take is to ditch IE and use a browser such as Opera or Firefox.
If you must use IE, make sure it is the most up to date the OS will support, and I' recommend Spywareblaster and Spywareguard, and Spybot's immunisation component.

laptop1 said:
Are all these Spyware running in the background and if so does it slow you PC down?.
Sygate firewall is obviously realtime, as is my AV , System Safety Monitor is a realtime app also. Spywareblaster has no running components, and the rest are on demand only for manual scans

WinPatrol, SpywareGuard and Spybot will detect any attempt at unauthorised changes. None of these uses any resources except when running scans. You can scan any time. ;)

Last edited:
Does AOL runs separate from Internet Explore in the same way as Firefox.?????

I also found out, that AOL Spywar protection is powered by Pest Patrol, If you want to buy Pest Patrol its $29.95 .......So is it safe to say the AOL Spywear is a good one to have?

Thanks in advance

AOL is an Internet service provider, Internet Explorer and Firefox are web browsers. Since AOL is not a software developer, it is probably safe to assume that any software it provides is licensed from someone else

Last edited:
roguetrader said:
AOL is an Internet service provider, Internet Explorer and Firefox are web browsers. Since AOL is not a software developer, it is probably safe to assume that any software it provides is licensed from someone else
I only use AOL home page I thought Internet Explorer was separate to this?

I have an icon to open Internet Explorer but I dont click on it? I only click on AOL to connect to AOL home page.... so does this mean am not using Internet Explorer?

The dummies guid for PCs is on order :eek:

laptop1 said:
I only use AOL home page I thought Internet Explorer was separate to this?

I have an icon to open Internet Explorer but I dont click on it? I only click on AOL to connect to AOL home page.... so does this mean am not using Internet Explorer?

The dummies guid for PCs is on order :eek:
LOL, I don't use AOL but I suspect it uses Internet explorer to browse,very few if any internet providers supply their own browsers, though they may attach their own lgos etc to your IE

laptop1 said:
You put me off it now. although it did pick up a trojan. .

I got SuperAntiSpywear. also, everytime I do a scan it picks up 10 to 20 tracking cokies is this free one anygood?

I need to read up more :eek:
The "known" components of AOL's Shield are good, it is based on Kasperskis AV engine (KAV), which is widely regarded as one of the best, the worry is what else AOL may have included, as that article suggest their software offerings in the past have a dismal reputation for causing problems and being a real pain to remove, but I've seen some people give it good reviews (possibly related to getting KAV for free) so since you already have it installed, if it is not causing any probs I don't know if I'd rush to remove it, it may be one of those products you don't want to upset :devilish:
As for SuperAntispyware, it seems to have a good reputation, I use it also (free version) as an on demand scanner.

Ccleaner will also remove cookies and allow you to view them, alternatively use Sandboxie and don't get any :D

This is the point of multiple layers. There's no need to pay for anything. I've got 5 protecting various areas plus antivirus and firewall, then 3 scanners. 2 cleaners and and a reg cleaner. Ain't much room to get through that lot. ;)

oatman said:
This is the point of multiple layers. There's no need to pay for anything. I've got 5 protecting various areas plus antivirus and firewall, then 3 scanners. 2 cleaners and and a reg cleaner. Ain't much room to get through that lot. ;)
Agree totally mate, nothing is 100% foolproof, but a simple layerd approach fills in most of the gaps. Which registry cleaner do you use? I use RegCleaner4.3 by Jouni Vuorio. I also use Erunt to back up the registry, which has got me out of trouble once when something unexpected happened with another application.
Have been running Sandboxie on my test machine for a few weeks now and really like it, tiny program with a very light footprint. My test machine setup at the moment is really simple, very use friendly, and seems pretty secure.
The biggest risk with free stuff, (and to be honest even with pay for) is you need to do a little research, b4 you install, see what others think of it from experience, and very important, be sure where you download it from as there are applications out there which are not what they seem. If I find a program I am interested in, I generally navigate to the developer's website to be sure I am getting a genuine version of the product

Last edited: