17" to 19" ??

CityTrader

Established member
thinking about upgrading my 6 month old sony 17" LCD's. My techy guy can get some Relysis(??) 19" DVI. he ( of course!) swears by this Relysis, who I have never heard of. Obviously DVI is better than analogue, but couple of questions..
1) Anyone ever used this make before? any good?

2) would these 2 19" LCD's give me a big increase on 2 x 17" ? almost as much as 3 x 17" ?

TIA

Wayno

The increase would only come if your are using higher resolutions. Typically most reasonably priced 19" only give 1240x1024 resolution the same as 17". So no change just bigger actual sized(stretched) characters. So at first glance would look more impressive but actually no greater display ability. A number of reviews highlight the "stretched" nature of picture.

So if you are getting a higher resolution on th 19" versus 17" then you will actually get a bigger picture otherwise just the apparent impression of a bigger picture.
Hope this helps

Two things.
DVI is not needed.
I've had 17, 18 and 19" LCDs from Relysis. The extra money for the 19" is NOT worth it. 18" is the best value/performance.
I like Relysis, having sold them in my shop for the last 3 years in preferenve to all others on a value for money basis.
One last thing, forget the speakers inside the monitors for anything other than the Microsoft beeps and bells.

Chartman, doesn't sound like it's worth trading up from my 2 x 17" sony LCD;s. probably just get a better graphics card with three outputs ( any suggestions?) and a third 17"

Thanks

Wayno

Better off with 3 17's.... Just get an 8Meg PCI card and add it to your system for a 3rd monitor. No need at all for anything fancy .You will probably have to buy a 32Meg PCI card. There's very little choice when it comes to PCI cards. I think Newtron Bomb was going to get one off EBAY. It's a good idea NOT to have the same make ( especially NVIDIA chipset) as your main AGP card. You get driver conflicts....

chartman,

i have a matrox dual card, but were thinking to get a second one on the same machine- and have 4 monitors- is this a good option ??

Basically, unless you can find an old matrox pci dual card, then no. The cheapest option is to add two pci cards.Or three or four, so long as you have enough slots. Spending a few hundred quid on a quad video card is money down the pan.
Of course, you may have a dual PCI Matrox card already installed. In that case you need to get a dual AGP card....£ 60 tops.

I actually have the AGP- need to get the PCI for about £80-

hanks for that chartman