Trading Computer Help

stefan416

hey everyone, I have been using my 13" macbook to trade for a while and would liketo put together a dedicated station. i was thinking of buying one of those shuttle xpc size barebone pcs and buyinghte rest of the parts as i am quite computer proficient. so here is what i was thinking.

Shuttle SG41J1-PLUS

Intel core 2 quad Q8200

4GB ddr3 1333mhz memory ( maybe 8 GB)

an old 80 7200 rpm maxtor ide HDD (Upgrade later, I have several HHDS: 1 250GB 2.5 5400rpm SATA, 2 160GB 5400rpm IDE 2.5" HHDS aslo)

and for video an older Nvidia quadro fx 3400 256mb dual dvi with 3840 x 1600 or something.

im not looking to spend loads of money here. jsut something that will work great. for now im going to use 2 lcds (1080ps probably since i already have a 23" one) an then upgrade to 3 later down the road.

I also have some otehr options for barebone starts, the Shuttle SA76-G2-BK-V2 and the Shuttle SH55-J2-BK-V1.

I might also play hd video off of it (only a possibility)

So if you guys could give me you opinion on the matter whether this would be good or not that would be great! your input is always helpful.

Thanks,
Stefan

hey everyone, I have been using my 13" macbook to trade for a while and would liketo put together a dedicated station. i was thinking of buying one of those shuttle xpc size barebone pcs and buyinghte rest of the parts as i am quite computer proficient. so here is what i was thinking.

Shuttle SG41J1-PLUS

Intel core 2 quad Q8200

an old 80 7200 rpm maxtor ide HDD (Upgrade later, I have several HHDS: 1 250GB 2.5 5400rpm SATA, 2 160GB 5400rpm IDE 2.5" HHDS aslo)

and for video an older Nvidia quadro fx 3400 256mb dual dvi with 3840 x 1600 or something.

im not looking to spend loads of money here. jsut something that will work great. for now im going to use 2 lcds (1080ps probably since i already have a 23" one) an then upgrade to 3 later down the road.

I also have some otehr options for barebone starts, the Shuttle SA76-G2-BK-V2 and the Shuttle SH55-J2-BK-V1.

So if you guys could give me you opinion on the matter whether this would be good or not that would be great! your input is always helpful.

Thanks,
Stefan

LGA 775 socket CPUs as allowed by SG41J1-PLUS Shuttle now outdated but will be adequte for most trading. Shuttle brand limits you to Shuttle m/boards or mini-itx form factor, which may be restrictive. (haven't researched them all - so this may not be wholly correct. But why limit yourself to Shuttle mobo?)

If you want small form factor (SFF) case have a look at the Antec NSK1380 here http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTE0NQ== I've been using one for last 4 years: reliable, well cooled & almost silent. Allows micro-atx which covers new Intel Sandybridge CPUs (rec i5-2500) which are fantastic performers and seem to be very good bang for your buck. See attached pic of Antec SFF case.

If you're starting from scratch decide your trading style and spec the PC accordingly. Most PCs will be ok for trading unless you have special requirements or a need for quickest possible reaction (n/a in case of eod/swing trading or my kind of stress-free daytrading). Your most likely restriction will be the quality & speed of your internet connection.

I can recommend DIY PC build - few if any, cost savings but you get the PC you want and know exactly (the quality of) what's in it. As for your existing kit - just try it: if it works to your satisfaction then dosh saved, otherwise get your wallet out.

Attachments

• R0031147.JPG
    R0031147.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 986
Agreed. Almost any newish PC is good for Trading. Basically, if a PC is good for games, then its good for Trading. As 0007 says, the bottleneck is the Internet connection unless you are doing lots of calculations on masses of data offline.

A capable processor, RAM and a graphics card(s) suitable for multiple monitors is all you really need. Even the graphics cards don't need to be the best. Trading graphics are basic and require little effort for a semi-decent card.

I would only do this if you are a competent trader or need the PC for other stuff anyway. There is a temptation to get the best PC whilst only being a beginner. The hardware is the easiest part to fix. Learning to trade is the hardest. Get a machine with Upgrade potential and reward yourself if/when you make money from trading.

Oh I totally know what you mean. Im getting it primarily for trading but will stream movies to my tv in my room.

I guess a bit of an update on what i think im going to get. Ill be buying something this weekend most likely.

I have bought two Quadro fx 3400s for 50 bucks.

I have decided to basically go for a used pc off of kijiji so its just a matter of finding the right one. This one looks promising but I have a few questions.

Intel Q6600
EVGA 750I SLI Mobo
4GB DDR2 Corsair Reaper Ram
500 GB HD 7200rpm
OCZ 750w PSU

the question i have is on the mobo. it says it supports quad-sli but the board only supports dual x8 pcie instead of dual x16 in sli. now is that going to be a problem? Im going to be running two 1080p monitors right now and maybe more in the future. who knows. I have heard mixed views on whether dual x8 would be alright.

any comments?

Shuttle SG41J1-PLUS

Intel core 2 quad Q8200

Thanks,
Stefan

I like this setup and 3 screens is very comfortable to use. My opinion - don't go with the best hardware - take an average one, you will save some good money, and money what you will save you can use for upgrade in half a year and you will have a better station than if you buy the best one now.

alright so its basically come down to these.

1)core i5 680
intel Intel DQ57TM mobo
8gb ddr3 ram
22" NEC LCD
$500

2) Q6600
evga 750I SLI mobo
4 gb ddr3 Corsair Reaper ram
500 gb HD
750 W OCZ PSU
$400

3) E8400
envg 680I mobo
4 gb ddr2 reapear ram
10,000 rpm 80gb and 250gb HD
$440
4) E8400
evga 780I mobo
8GB ddr OCZ platinum ram
3 x 250 GB HD raid 0
20" LCD
$400

now im looking toput in my two fx 3400s. the core i5 one has built in graphics with one pcie slot but also has two dvi ports on the board itself so i dunno. some one please give me their input asap cuz im lokoing to buy one of em this weekend. thanks