Why do people lose money on the market?

SOCRATES said:
All of the above is quite correct.

But it seems as if what I ask is not understood.

My question remains:~

What is the root of it ? So far there hasn't been a proper answer.

The answer I believe you are after is along the lines of:

Lack of (natural/ developed- well both) ability
Inappropriate conduct
Not deserving it (merit)!

And, having thought about this, everything else is indeed a sub category of the above.

Kind regards

jimmy1jag said:
The answer I believe you are after is along the lines of:

Lack of (natural/ developed- well both) ability
Inappropriate conduct
Not deserving it (merit)!

And, having thought about this, everything else is indeed a sub category of the above.

Kind regards
Very good. But those are just the effects, Jimmy.

I am interested in the real cause that creates these effects.

Deeply introspecting and examining the cause it painful to a lot of people.

That is why we haven't got to the root of it.

So I ask the question again...

What is the root ?

( I am fascinated to see all the circular argument around it and all the attempts at diverting but no one dares to step forward and admit....:cheesy: ...) is there no moth that will dare to hover above its own flame ?

Kind Regards.

CityTrader said:
I'm really not picking on you, trust me, you are not even on my radar, but... What the fck are you talking about???? If you want a confessional, try a priest. If you want to show off the fact that you appear to have just blagged your first girlfriend try the pub, but your social and sexual inadequacies are simply superfluous to this discussion board.

Dear lover :eek:

such a serious boy is thee!

It would seem that your investment prowess is only matched by you inability to appreciate discussion board folly. Your bank account must indeed be truly blessed! :p

SOCRATES said:
Very good. But those are just the effects, Jimmy.

I am interested in the real cause that creates these effects.

Deeply introspecting and examining the cause it painful to a lot of people.

That is why we haven't got to the root of it.

So I ask the question again...

What is the root ?

( I am fascinated to see all the circular argument around it and all the attempts at diverting but no one dares to step forward and admit....:cheesy: ...) is there no moth that will dare to hover above its own flame ?

Kind Regards.
:)

Unfortunately Socco, I don't have a great deal of time right now to devote to this right now as I'm supposed to be doing other (family type) things!

However, thank you for your reply.

After further thought, what I said above comes down to a lack of ability/ willingness to look into oneself , to find the faults that lie therein and to change one's behaviour accordingly.

This is hard to do with a framework within which to do it, but even harder to do if you don't know what you're looking for in the first place!

And to make it stick is harder still!

jimmy1jag said:
:)

Unfortunately Socco, I don't have a great deal of time right now to devote to this right now as I'm supposed to be doing other (family type) things!

However, thank you for your reply.

After further thought, what I said above comes down to a lack of ability/ willingness to look into oneself , to find the faults that lie therein and to change one's behaviour accordingly.

This is hard to do with a framework within which to do it, but even harder to do if you don't know what you're looking for in the first place!

And to make it stick is harder still!
Excellent reply. ...but not altogether complete...

You are now exonerated from further public effort.

Now I am interested to see if the ones that really need to do the work will make the effort.

So, once more, for the rest of you lot, what is the root ?

Let us see which moth is capable of hovering above the flame...let's see....:cheesy:

There is a train of thought that goes; "If you don't know what you want then how do you know when you've got it".

This simple notion can be used when dealing. For example: person A may think 10% a year is success whereas person B may think it is a failure. If you don't know what is success or failure then is any profit therefore success? If you made £1000 one week and lost £950 the following week would this still make you a successful trader?

One must know what one wishes to achieve in order to know when you've achieved it.

Is the answer to your question Socrates: "Experience"? If so, sir, I disagree most passionately.

in2uxs said:
There is a train of thought that goes; "If you don't know what you want then how do you know when you've got it".

This simple notion can be used when dealing. For example: person A may think 10% a year is success whereas person B may think it is a failure. If you don't know what is success or failure then is any profit therefore success? If you made £1000 one week and lost £950 the following week would this still make you a successful trader?

One must know what one wishes to achieve in order to know when you've achieved it.

Is the answer to your question Socrates: "Experience"? If so, sir, I disagree most passionately.
No.......you are skirting round it as well.

in2uxs said:
Thought so. Just testing.
Experience is a process.

It may be a physical process or a mental process or a combination of the two.

It is a process in which mistakes are made.

In this process of making mistakes, these mistakes are recognised and not made again.

It is not the answer.

I will ask the question again:~

What is the root ?

Let us see which moth is capable of hovering above the flame...:cheesy: ...let's see....

On behalf of all those that may enter this thread I shall ask this question on their behalf. Socrates do you know the root yourself, or are you too still in search of it?

in2uxs said:
On behalf of all those that may enter this thread I shall ask this question on their behalf. Socrates do you know the root yourself, or are you too still in search of it?
I know it. What is more there are a handful of members who also know it but are keeping quiet as mice, as they are also very interested to see how this discussion progresses, because this discussion also helps to illuminate what interests us, who are in the absolute minority.

Socrates, I bow to your wisdom, your intelligence, and your troll-like abilities at getting a room reaction. I confess that I too have been known to cause mischief every so often just to see what happens, but I bow to your skill in this process, sir.

However, as a man of high intelligence myself (though dwarfed by your own magnificence I fully admit) I must be allowed at this point in time to confess slight doubts to your honour, sir. I suspect most strongly that should I, or another person so holy or true, actually discover - ney stumble - upon this secret factor that is needed for success then I suspect most strongly, sir, that you would deny confirmation in order to keep this secret safe.

Your word as a Gentleman is needed, sir - we must have it in order to continue this somewhat fascinating debate.

in2uxs said:
Socrates, I bow to your wisdom, your intelligence, and your troll-like abilities at getting a room reaction. I confess that I too have been known to cause mischief every so often just to see what happens, but I bow to your skill in this process, sir.

However, as a man of high intelligence myself (though dwarfed by your own magnificence I fully admit) I must be allowed at this point in time to confess slight doubts to your honour, sir. I suspect most strongly that should I, or another person so holy or true, actually discover - ney stumble - upon this secret factor that is needed for success then I suspect most strongly, sir, that you would deny confirmation in order to keep this secret safe.

Your word as a Gentleman is needed, sir - we must have it in order to continue this somewhat fascinating debate.
Please, it is not necessary for you to resort to flattery.

It is a very old concept, totally universal, and freely observable in the public domain.

It is mentioned as early as 1688, in the book written by J de La Vega, "Confusion de Confusiones" (Confusion of Confusions) in which he describes the workings of the Stock Exchange in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, as a discussion taking place between three gentlemen involved with trading the instruments available at the time. So there is no secret.

It is however very well hidden and has served to have cost a lot of grief and many fortunes over the years.

I promise, I give you my solemn word I shall immediately confirm to whoever is able to identify it.

Attempts from the less experienced / knowledgeable are particularly welcome, including the inevitable bursts of rudeness, etc.,

So, what is the root then ?

And which moth is going to venture to hover over the flame ?

Priceman said:
Fear and greed...
No, fear and greed are emotions. They are subjective, and not causative, sorry.

That is not hovering over the flame, that is guessing....from a comfortable perch...on the sidelines...:cheesy:

SOCRATES said:
No, fear and greed are emotions. They are subjective, and not causative, sorry.

That is not hovering over the flame, that is guessing....from a comfortable perch...on the sidelines...:cheesy:
Yep, just sitting here comfortably waiting for your pearls Socco... when are you going to enlighten us not in the know like your good self :cheesy:

Priceman said:
Yep, just sitting here comfortably waiting for your pearls Socco... when are you going to enlighten us not in the know like your good self :cheesy:
You have to work for it :cheesy:

If you are diligent in your work ..........you will "get it".....:cheesy: ......and not otherwise

You really do drive a hard bargain man. I don't really learn that much from you to be honest my friend, others on here are so much more helpful. As I myself try to be when 'newbies' ask questions that appear to be dumb; I respond with direct answers, in a polite manner with any experience I may have gained along the way. After all that's how I picked up my knowledge with the help of kind hearted people giving me their help.

No disrespect intended of course.

Hummmm

Is the root related to the understanding of when a share is been bumped up owing to market trickery and/or public mass hysteria. Is the root of success, master, the ability to understand this phenomenon, and then to have the mental will to step aside from joining in with the crowd?

I back this theory up by the dot com boom,and also the boom in gaming shares. Despite the warning that the USA government were going to push though legislation this information was discarded by the public who were told by others that such legislation would never happen. The shares in gaming stock remained high right up until the announcement in America and then they crashed.

The root I suggest is to posses the mental ability to know which information to believe and which to ignore. To understand when a share is been brought due to frenzy, and to know when a share is been artificially lowered?

Soc: My answer in post 49 does not address it then?

For Me, this is what has happened to bring about a situation where I am not losing money in the market, so in my own case it is the answer, is it not?