Wallstreet1928 Analysis & live calls on FTSE,DAX,S&P...aimed to help New traders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wallstreet1928 Analysis & live calls on FTSE,DAX,S&P...aimed to help New traders

it was just shy of the stop loss...why is EUR:USD going so strong today...

Short squeeze and covering on bailout plans.
Daily resistance is 3680.

Re: Wallstreet1928 Analysis & live calls on FTSE,DAX,S&P...aimed to help New traders

i am short ftse from 5394

upto 5414

avg = 5404

stop loss = 5434

tgt = 5374 , 5364, 5354

A rough day yesterday for me , euro and nasdaq stop loss hit - 130

ftse was only good trade for + 45

- 85 for the week so far

upto 5414

avg = 5404

stop loss = 5434

tgt = 5374 , 5364, 5354

- 85 for the week so far

1st target hit + 30

onto next trade

i am long nasdaq from 2277

upto 2267

avg = 2272

stop loss = 2242

tgt = 2300 - 2310 = 200 MA daily

Risk : Reward?

upto 2267

avg = 2272

stop loss = 2242

Morning Everyone,

I've come back to this thread after years of being away. Life got in the way of my interest in trading and I've now found time to return. So hello to you all. : )

What are peoples' thoughts on risk to reward ratio, particularly from guys and girls who trade the set-ups on this thread? The only reason I ask is because it's something that has jumped out at me as being at odds to what I thought was "good".

Take the above trade for example (which I am in - go me!). The average risk to reward ratio is 1:1.1, which I understood to be poor...? Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks guys, S

upto 5414

avg = 5404

stop loss = 5434

tgt = 5374 , 5364, 5354

welcome back Mr Squirrel ,

The way i operate is I average in and average out

So I take 2/3 profit @ 1st target and then taken last 1/3 whenever at other designated targets. So for example I have taken + 30 for 2/3 , and last 1/3 I just closed for + 55

The majority of times the market moves so fast I always end up with + 40, + 50 as 1st target etc etc

but yes a better R:R is preferred .......but I rely on my high degree of accuracy based on my knowledge of TA/FA .

Risk reward 1:2

In order to achieve this, Like Wallstreet1928 stated..........."accuracy of entry is very important" and in order to achieve that, "patience is also a important factor for getting the good entry"

Thats risk reward cleared up...and the next thing is, the method/approach of trading; thats upto each individual IMO.

A good example this morning I can give is.

@ 9.10am.....I pointed out Scalp long euro @ 13580........it yield 25pips there....but I would have risked 15pip SL from entry.....EU hit that area of 13580......the most it went against me, is -2pips. This area was tested @ 10.25am......

Re: Risk : Reward?

Morning Everyone,

I've come back to this thread after years of being away. Life got in the way of my interest in trading and I've now found time to return. So hello to you all. : )

What are peoples' thoughts on risk to reward ratio, particularly from guys and girls who trade the set-ups on this thread? The only reason I ask is because it's something that has jumped out at me as being at odds to what I thought was "good".

Take the above trade for example (which I am in - go me!). The average risk to reward ratio is 1:1.1, which I understood to be poor...? Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks guys, S

Hello Mr Squirrel,

I don't trade the setups from WS... well it's too quick for me :) Especially whilst trying to manage my freelance work at the same time.

However, I am trading a strategy with negative RR, i.e. an individual trade is unlikely to make 1:1, infact it's more likely to make around 50% of the amount risked. This did at first, seem like madness, and was contrary to everything I had read about trading.

But, overall this style makes money with a high win ratio (currently 77%), and good risk management, and keeping the losers small where possible. Despite the negative RR, the gross profit factor is close to 3x overall loses. I've been doing this for just over 5 months, and it works out suprisingly ok. FWIW, I'm up 18% in those 5 months, with 1% risk per trade - there's usually only around 3-5 trades per week, so it's an easy pace.

Good RR is great in principal, but I am not sure how achievable it is? I guess you end up either trading low probability setups, which occasionally make stunning RR, or high probability setups, with relatively low RR.

Good risk management is probably the key to being successful overall though :)

HTH

Re: Risk : Reward?

Morning Everyone,

Thanks guys, S

Make sure you calculate the RR correctly as well. For example, 30pips profit at half trade is only 15 pips profit.
It is all about trading style. If you are a swing trader, I would say always always go for 1:2 or more, some trades can yield a good 1:3. Day trading is a different beast and is more about trading by the seat of your pants, taking what you can get based on TA.
Record 100 of your own trades then come back with your win ratio and your average loss, average win, then you readjust - very few traders do this they just say well I do 1:1 or 1:2. Remember break even trades in the calculation as you have always lost a commission on these and should be factored in reducing win rate slightly.

upto 5414

avg = 5404

stop loss = 5434

tgt = 5374 , 5364, 5354

- 85 for the week so far

WS you seem to take positions when markets are closed and sometimes in the wee hours of the morning is there any reason for this?

WS you seem to take positions when markets are closed and sometimes in the wee hours of the morning is there any reason for this?

I am currently on holiday , there is a 4hr time difference so I send my game plan in advance as I have to adjust my trading style accordingly. This gives everyone ample time to understand bias change and read analysis and learn prior to the move ........

UK = 15.00

abroad = 19.00

When I get back on 22nd then I will start trading @ 7am...I will then send instant text message alerts and live commentary explaining why the market is moving in a particular direction

Last edited:

upto 2267

avg = 2272

stop loss = 2242

closed + 13 and i am now switching bias due to weak copper and euro ..also weak aussie !!

I am short nasdaq from 2285 upto 2300

avg = 2293

stop loss = 2323

tgt = 2263, 2253

BBCBusiness BBC Business
UK recovery 'weakest in century' bbc.in/p2E0JE

solution = buy ................lol

insanity is making new highs in this stockmarket rally

Thanks for all your replies on risk and reward. It's good to have lots of perspectives. : )

eur/usd h4

Can we break above yesterdays high? It seems unlikely, but you never know.

Attachments

• eurusd_h4_11102011.gif
    eurusd_h4_11102011.gif
    31.1 KB · Views: 155

BBCBusiness BBC Business
UK recovery 'weakest in century' bbc.in/p2E0JE

solution = buy ................lol

insanity is making new highs in this stockmarket rally

well...there is more QE in the UK.
horts have now reduced their positions, which should open up a bit of a retrace down.
Then get long around about 5100-5200 for another go at the highs...unless more bank/Greek news appears soon.

Just remember that all the volatility is caused by this:
From Bloomberg: "Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's Undersecretary Carlo Giovanardi said the government will study if it's feasible to conduct drug tests on stock-exchange traders, with the help of the Milan Bourse and the country's market regulator. Giovanardi, who is in charge of family policy and drug prevention, said that the abuse of drugs including cocaine might explain part of recent stock volatility."

Last edited:

i am short ftse from 5366 , upto 5386 if need be

avg = 5376 region

stop loss = 5406

tgt = 5340 , 5330, 5320

alcoa and slovak vote should lead us lower .........

aus/eur @ resistance along with copper weakness and oil resistance

We are up to 5394 now WS. Still worth opening this position with same stop? So 12 point odd stop..?

We are up to 5394 now WS. Still worth opening this position with same stop? So 12 point odd stop..?

I have this question too. Not about this trade, but in general. I haven't needed to worry about it yet, but sometimes trades do go close to the stop and, if you've missed getting in at the beginning, I can see why it would be tempting to enter late for such a small stop. The R:R certainly goes up.

I have subscribed to Wallstreet's live calls and have been executing them like a sniper since Monday. If I cannot do exactly as the call says, I won't allow myself to enter the trade. This went a little awry on Monday due to a schoolboy error, but it went in my favour, so all's well that ends well.

I have a SB account that is so small you could abbreviate it to just an acc. and I am merely 'Chief Button Pusher' of someone else's trading method. That said, if I have time to take the calls and make the trades, all whilst learning and doing my day job, why the hell not? If I end up pip positive at the end of each week; great! If I blow my tiny SB account; I won't lose any sleep over it!

I seem to remember T2W used to have a 'trading blog' area. I may start one of those...

Status
Not open for further replies.