Traders Psychology and why 90% of traders fail

little e-book I found on my travels

Interesting eBook tenbobtrader. A lot of truth contained within its pages.

I am on the very start if my trading journey, and I have only become consistently profitable in the past 3 months. The biggest problem I have had over the few years is the psychological one (and a few crap systems that I bought)

Reading "Trading In The Zone" started to turn it round for me. I think every "newbie" that comes to these boards should be given a copy.

Just my three pence worth.....

so can anyone say what is the BIGGEST problem you have encountered? And how did you get out of it? Please share some ideas so that I won't be part of that statistics. (90% of traders fail)

most traders fail because they do not have a disciplined money management system ...

Genrally speaking TRADINGXYZ is correct this is the predominant reason traders fail, offcourse there could be other underlying problems definately pyschology based , just recalled a situation about 10 years ago when I was eavesdropping on a conversation at a dealing room between a vey succesful futures trader and a not so successful one which I had used in many converstions in coaching inexperienced or newbie traders at a later stage. Unsuccessful trader B asks Successful trader A what he´s thinking about doing ,Successful trader A says Iam thinking about buying this, anyway a few minutes pass and Successful trader A´s trading machine starts pinging as he´s getting filled. Unsuccessful trader B says to trader A what have you done mate? trader A responds ive sold them on hearing that remark trader B says hold on mate a minute a go you just told me you wanted to buy them.......trader A replied yeah I changed my mind. Looking over at trader B he was shocked he didnt know what to make of it, I learned a lot watching that , It struck me that the qualities you use in life to do the right thing can destroy you in the financial markets, in trading you can never be set in your ways and must be flexible, the difference I noticed between A and B was that if A noticed a change he had no ego regarding his prior opinion or beleif and reacted like a real trader should..........to the change in circumstance at that very moment, whilst trader B would always stick to his view and to me in appearance seemed more bothered about wether he was wrong or right in his view.........very admirable quality in everyday life to be true to what you beleive and to do what you say and mean.......but in the markets that will kill you faster than a bullet .

Guys I need Help!!!!!!! > brief background:
somehow my performance has become fraction of what it used to be, and I have consistently banked trading profits., My equity is £48,000, and i mainly trade Forex.On average I use to bank between £6K to £10K each month, average trade risking 2% of equity. however if I have a very strong setup, may risk 5% max, but this i only do if i have a good profit buffer.

so whats the problem????? FEAR

Fear of Loss
Fear of profit turning into a loss.

i use to have tremendous patience, and strictly only entered a trade when i have a signal, and I still do!

However, whats gone wrong, is I am now panicking....................
small loss, and i panik and exit
small profit and i panic and snatch it

example today, i was long EU, went in a profit, then went into -4 pips loss, and i closed, so missed the +100+ pip move
I entered EY long, went into +13 pips profit, and closed it

then i got a good short trade on CAD, but i procrastinated.

i cant seem to figure out why has my decision making not following my exit strategies.

Can someone help me???
share you experience? what you did to overcome
HELP!!

Will really appreciate your help.

marwan

If your style is not conducive to using orders (ie: enter and forget it) then trade small 'til you get your confidence back.

Marwan, IMHO you're scared of letting go of what you've built up. Simply adjust your position size per trade and keep on rolling with the blows and lows...;)

THANKS GUYS
really appreciate the feedback and comments. will take on board some of the suggestions.
Thanks again

Often used to denote laughter at someone who is the victim of a prank, or a reason for performing an action. Can be used as a noun — e.g. "do it for the lulz."

yes, but wtf does it stand for? who makes up all these blinking non-acronyms??

I think its a plural of LOL, spelt in the modern 'txt spelling' style.

Often used to denote laughter at someone who is the victim of a prank, or a reason for performing an action. Can be used as a noun — e.g. "do it for the lulz."

yes, but wtf does it stand for? who makes up all these blinking non-acronyms??

arabianights :)

New traders - SPAM or no SPAM, punklesam is absolutely right. It is pretty widely accepted that most people who come to trading are forced out due to losses. Or at least not having made the gains they thought they would, which is not the same thing. The common thread though is psychology.

The market does not do the unexpected 90% of the time. And certainly not with such force as to instantly wipe out the traders who were on the wrong side of the move. So the problem is not the market.

The problem is mostly mental, most novices have unrealistic expectations or lack the mental fortitude to develop, test and stick with a systematic method, or are unprepared for losses, or have an unconscious block.

The unconscious blocks can be the worst and most difficult to identify and confront. Many of us are brought up with attitudes to hard work, honest effort, gainful employment, money, job success, earned / unearned income and all that baggage which are incompatible with successful trading. So traders sometimes sabotage their own efforts due to some kind of guilt / mental mismatch between what they want and how they are getting it. These inner conflicts can be deep and hard to spotlight.

As an example, we will often hear, as a term of praise or professional recognition, the phrase 'full-time trader'. As if that were a good thing! But really, which is better, being a successful 30-minute a day trader or being an exactly equally successful, 10-hour a day trader? For the same money, surely, the less time you put in to earn it the better? But in reality, we can sometimes be so bound by the self-recognition that comes from a job / profession that we see trading as a job-substitute. Trading is an activity to generate money, end of story. If you need to use it as a means to re-define yourself, whether as a market player or trader or hot-shot gambler or entrepreneur or whatever, you are trading outside the true reality. You might just as well make up charts out of your head.

Every new trader should indeed read Mark Douglas as punklesam recommends.

your reply is really good.

Hi,

I am a day trader and often try to derive profit from the disparity in currency rates at various points of time. People who try to make some huge profit can incurr loss using this techniques but if we try to capture small pips then its a winning strategy. News trading is quite risky buy i am enjoying it. For accurate and reliable market tips and daily updates Finexo is the best. Since then my dealer is providing me with the most accurate tips, market updates and charts so that i can make optimum use of these. It has fetched me 99% of returns on my investment.

One of the fund Manager of FINEXO suggested me to try news trading once when i was looking up for high returns. Surprisingly i made huge pips in just 1 hour and thats how i became a news trader.

Anyways the basic requirements for successful day trading are:

1. Excellent Command on Technical charts.

2. Look beyond what common man does.

3. Foresightedness