The Secret Edge

Which best applies to you ?

• I am profitable - I have a secret edge I couldn't disclose.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • I am profitable - revealing what I do wouldn't make any difference.

Votes: 32 52.5%
  • I am not profitable yet - but I believe in secret edges.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • I am not profitable yet - I don't believe in secret edges

Votes: 10 16.4%

• Total voters
That's about the third thread now, where it has turned into an attack HowardCohodas thread. If you don't think he knows how to trade, so what? Maybe he can, maybe he can't. But this leads me back to

This is fine as far as it goes. I don't find anything to disagree with. The only issue is whether they can judge who is successful and who isn't. This is an even bigger problem on a board. Sometimes the more convincing arrogant types who push themselves forward as gurus and dismiss anything they don't agree with, are great salesmen but can't trade. These types seem to have plenty of time on their hands to do it too. I don't think there is a great deal to learn on this board once you reach a certain level of understanding. Sure it is good for the basics, and throwing a few ideas around, but not much more.

I don't think it's possible on the internet to tell if someone is succesful or not.

I think those failed traders that have been in the game a long time would be able to succesfully hoodwink most for a while.

Arrogance,ego and a few 'shock and awe' tactics to knock people down are often used by scammers. So - when you question a scammer, the length and tone of the reply is a good clue - protesting too much & all that. I'd tend to be more believing of a vendor that didn't care too much who thought he was succesful or not.

Now - if you have nothing to sell or are not obviously trying to set yourself up as a guru here in anticipation of selling - then I think you have a clean slate in terms of stating your opinions. It doesn't necessarily mean you are right but it does mean you don't have a specific agenda.

It's like a Football (Soccer) game Howard. Nobody is really interested in how many goals you scored in practise.

All I Know About Trading I Learned in Flight School said:
A good simulator check ride is like successful surgery on a cadaver.

But would you want to be the first person that the surgeon touched with a knife.

Perhaps DionysusToast is challenged by the English language, having lived in 7 different counties and all.

Great. That explains why your defense of your attacks on me are so full of misrepresentation.

And here I was beginning to think it was malice.

Howard dear chum. If you look in the above thread, I didn't attack you. I just made some general comments about scammers.

I have no idea why you took them personally :whistling

But would you want to be the first person that the surgeon touched with a knife.

Only the surgeon would know - the patient is oblivious to competence assuming the surgeon is sufficiently skilled. Your example is only applicable if the surgeon is performing 'self surgery' - a highly unusual situation. :)

Only the surgeon would know - the patient is oblivious to competence assuming the surgeon is sufficiently skilled. Your example is only applicable if the surgeon is performing 'self surgery' - a highly unusual situation. :)

So I guess now is the time to admit that when I was scheduled for surgery and a sever snow storm prevented travel to the hospital, I performed the surgery on myself without anesthetic. It was minor surgery I admit. It was successful. And it was less invasive than the doctor was going to do.

So I guess now is the time to admit that when I was scheduled for surgery and a sever snow storm prevented travel to the hospital, I performed the surgery on myself without anesthetic. It was minor surgery I admit. It was successful. And it was less invasive than the doctor was going to do.

So you have a 40 year investing record, you are a day trader, you train traders, you taught your son how to trade (who is an economist with a maths degree), you've worked in artificial intelligence, you have your own business and you can perform self surgery.

This is just some of the stuff I've picked up from your posts.

I can see it now

Attachments

• drt.JPG
    drt.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 143
So you have a 40 year investing record, you are a day trader, you train traders, you taught your son how to trade (who is an economist with a maths degree), you've worked in artificial intelligence, you have your own business and you can perform self surgery.

Have to set the record straight here.

I most assuredly am not a day trader. Trading options credit spreads the way I do means that positions are held for a few days up to a maximum of 59 days. Leaves me time to post here and do other stuff as well.

I've only trained a few traders who asked me to teach them my methods. I am working on a more robust program, but am not ready for my vendor badge.

My son was already a trader. I taught him my method to get his analysis. He has added my methods to his bag of tricks.

I grew up on a farm. You learn a lot about self-sufficiency that way.

I have other skills as well, but I don't want to overwhelm you. ;)

To be fair Scose, a lot of us who are a bit older have turned to trading later in life after having done ok in other pursuits. It's not that uncommon. If I was to list my achievements it would probably read quite similar although my kids are young and their main achievements in life are primarily to annoy each other as only siblings know how.

Culturally IME, US folks talk about these things more openly than Brits who are naturally sarcastic, witty and dour. I just think Howard may be proud of what he's done in 60 odd years and he's just not ashamed to admit it - something that does not sit well with the English.

So you have a 40 year investing record, you are an options trader, you train traders, you taught your son how to trade (who is an economist with a maths degree), you've worked in artificial intelligence, you have your own business and you can perform self surgery.

Adjusted

not had a chance to get around to world hunger yet?

To be fair Scose, a lot of us who are a bit older have turned to trading later in life after having done ok in other pursuits. It's not that uncommon. If I was to list my achievements it would probably read quite similar although my kids are young and their main achievements in life are primarily to annoy each other as only siblings know how.

Culturally IME, US folks talk about these things more openly than Brits who are naturally sarcastic, witty and dour. I just think Howard may be proud of what he's done in 60 odd years and he's just not ashamed to admit it - something that does not sit well with the English.

Bull**** baffles brains, robster, and I've heard so much during my life that I can recognise it without difficulty.

Just offering an alternative perspective on things boys. As is usual, in life, things are never black or white.

Just offering an alternative perspective on things boys. As is usual, in life, things are never black or white.

There was a case, perhaps you have heard it, of the lad who amputated his forearm to get free of a crevass, where he had slipped when mountain climbing. I heard that in an interview on the BBC. Domestic surgery, during a snowstorm, involving the instruments mentioned and performed by the injured person, especially by a poster not unknown, in his short membership with us, of being absolutely superlative in everything he does, reminds me of a film I saw once. "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" starring Danny Kaye.