The FTSE

The FTSE Thursday, 8th December 2005

Wednesday's results:

Open: 5538.

Close: 5528, down 10pts. Yesterdays charts said it all, a rise before a dip.

Range: 5518 - 5574.

On the Month: up 105pts. A little too high

Last 5 trading days: also up 105pts.

Dow: 10,810, down 66pts. I'm pleased I didn't go Long as I envisaged it rising.

News items of note:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - 'U.S. stocks fell on Wednesday as concern about rising interest rates helped push financial and home building shares lower, while shares of energy companies fell as oil traded below $60 a barrel.'

TimesOnline - 'Britain's benchmark FTSE 100 index, after setting a new four-year high in midmorning, closed out the session in negative territory as a nervy start on Wall Street took the wind out of its sails. Oil stocks such as BP did most of the damage after data from the US showed crude supplies at surprisingly healthy levels.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Wednesdays stated that a rise before a drop was the strongest indication. Thursday's, a moderate rise. Bare in mind, charts don't account for the BOE results.

Companies reporting:

FIRST CHOICE
ISOFT
PARTYGAMING
PENNON
PREMIER FARNELL
ROYAL BANK SCOTLAND
AEA TECHNOLOGY
ANITE

Economic Data:

11:00am, Bank of England Rate Announcement. - Hold onto yer Long Johns!
13:30pm, US Jobless Claims.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW's moderate drop will affect the FTSE in the morning; charts predict a moderate rise; Companies will once again add volume, and economic news, well, it all hinges on the BOE's announcement. If good the FTSE should rise a healthy 24-38pts, if bad, mark the market down 15-20pts.

Early gut feeling: a 70% chance it will rise.

Will I bet? I'll hold back until after the BOE, see which way the market swings.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

In long at 5510 (on March future) not expecting any bad news from BoE (fingers crossed) short stop at 5496 - any thoughts :?:

Good luck to everyone

I am short from yesterday looking for minimum 477 but 455 would be better
I also covered the position at 509 and will be looking to close that at 528 or the close on Friday

The reasoning behind favouring closing the short first is that the US needs to hit target low today

It was to you mark but same comment does both really

dc,

you lost me here, yesterday you closed (covered?) your position at 509, but you are still short from yesterday??

edited: what do you mean by "position now covered"?

dc2000 said:
I am short from yesterday looking for minimum 477 but 455 would be better
I also covered the position at 509 and will be looking to close that at 528 or the close on Friday

The reasoning behind favouring closing the short first is that the US needs to hit target low today

It was to you mark but same comment does both really
I'm a bit confused too !
If you closed at 509 yesterday and are now looking to close at 528 then you must now be long right !
Are you then planning to go short at 528 with an initial target of 477 ?

Hi Mark
When you cover you take an oposite position to the one you have, so that you then have a neutral position in the market this locks in profit

So for example yesterdays position Short was covered at 509 this was because although I expect the market to go lower than 509 there was a chance that overnight it would go against me back up to 528 ( which it seems to be now doing)
I hope that explains it

long

I actually went long at 5500 today and expect to either close above 5520 or below 5500. A break of 5500 and I will reverse my long position.

The FTSE Friday, 9th December 2005

Thursday's results:

Open: 5528.

Close: 5531, up 2pts. This did surprise me as it should have stayed down by 20pts.

Range: 5492 - 5531.

On the Month: up 102pts. A little too high

Last 5 trading days: up 45pts.

Dow: 10,755, down 55pts.

Last 5 trading days: down 157pts.

News items of note:

TimesOnline - 'GORDON BROWN tried to tax himself out of trouble yesterday with raids on oil company profits and dormant bank accounts to fund “winter warmer” payments for pensioners, gap years for students and help for motorists. In a Pre-Budget Report seen as preparing the way for a Brown premiership, the Chancellor imposed extra taxes of £2 billion a year on North Sea oil firms to ease the pressure on public finances. He aims to have his Budget back in surplus by 2008, a year before the next election, which he expects to fight as Prime Minister.' - I think Mr Brown should concentrate more on the economy and less on his desires to become Prime Minister.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Thursday's stated a moderate rise [but could not take the BOE results into account]. Friday's, undecided. But once again err's towards a rise.

Companies reporting:

AB FOODS
BAA
BRADFORD &BINGLEY
MEDISYS

Economic Data:

09:30 UK Trade in Goods & Services (Global)

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW tumbled at lunch time [UK] and yet the FTSE continued to nudge its head above its opening call. Strange! Charts are undecided, and companies reporting wont be adding any momentum to the market. As it stands, it has all the hallmarks of a limp day, but I don't believe it will be. Judging by the dire Budget report the market should have dropped not risen, so, with the DOW still well down at close of play it wouldn't surprise me if the FTSE followed suit.

Early gut feeling: a 55% chance it will drop.

Will I bet? Nope! Too close a call.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK