The FTSE

mark twain uk said:
I closed 30% of my shorts a bit earlier but still have 70% just in case

Any specific reason for that drop? news? Or just the market rejecting the earlier high I wonder

my guess is that it was caused by a slight drop in gold/UK mining, but it could be just jitters pre-open of US market

Indecisive day so far. Still short from Friday - moved my stop up to 5555 first thing (which just held) and have now moved it down to 5532.
US markets will probably give some direction this afternoon although the FTSE was not too influenced by them on Friday.

Gap ;) :cool:

Mark as I am medium term bullish I favour a lower price first

Last edited:
mark twain uk said:
that's what makes a market, different people trading with different expectations. If I get a few points I wouldn;t mind, but what I am hoping for is for the santa's rally in the US to flop spectacularly this week, in that case the ftse will get dragged down, so I am looking at possibly losing few points,or closing at B/E or cashing in on a fall in the US markets.

Good call there mate..I have had to obviously change my stance temporally!

Have now moved my stop to 5525. Tomorrows FTSE Cash at 5498 is just 3pts below the close. FTSE post-close decline is slower than the Dow (currently 24pts down) just as the FTSE rise was slower than the Dow on Friday afternoon.

Be interesting to see where the FTSE Futures price goes if the Dow Cash breaches support at 10725 tonight although we might still see an afternoon US market rally.

The FTSE Tuesday, 13th December 2005

Monday's results:

Open: 5517.

Close: 5501, down 15pts.

Range: 5494 - 5548. It was disturbing to see it fall below the 500 mark having almost hit the 550 point.

On the Month: up 78pts. Just about right. For the rest of the month it all hinges on tomorrows FOMC result and the DOW's movement.

Last 5 trading days: down 9pts.

Dow: 10,767, down a sweet 10pts. The market is holding back for the FOMC announcement tomorrow. But all I see is a coiled spring. Watch closely.

Last 5 trading days: down 68pts.

News items of note:

FT.com - 'London equities markets were unsteady on Monday as while the fire at the Buncefield oil depot in Hemel Hempstead continued to blaze, news emerged of companies directly affected by the biggest peacetime explosion in Europe, all of whom said insurance policies should cover any costs.' - The depot blaze was not the reason for the fall in the market, if it was, the market would have opened with a continues drop. It did not. The big boys are holding back until tomorrow.

FT.com - 'LONDON (ShareCast) - UK manufacturers' output prices slowed in November to its lowest pace in 19 months, according to the latest survey. The Office for National Statistics said factory gate inflation fell 0.2% on the month in November as petrolprices eased, bringing the annual rate down to a slower than expected 2.3%. A rise in gas prices sent raw material costs shooting ahead at a 12.5% annual rate, higher than the 9.2% expected. Meanwhile a separate survey from the CBI showed factory orders falling at a slower pace than expected in December. The monthly manufacturing order books balance rose to a five-month high of -22 in December from -25 in November, while manufacturers' expectations of future output remained negative with an unchanged balance of -4. The CBI added that stronger global competition hit export orders, as the balance of export orders slumped to -23 in December from -13.' - Interesting reading and closer to the real reason for the FTSE's not overly predicted tumble.

In all fairness, and each to their own opinion, it does make me smile that major News sites are too eager to apply a One Front Page headline reason for a markets fall/rise without looking beyond their own institutional noses.

Both the DOW and the FTSE, as a whole, have been holding back and have done so over the past several days. There are a number of reasons as to why and not solely the FOMC's decision tomorrow. Historically this is normal, and both the DOW and the FTSE rose well above there average for November. So what we have seen of late is a breathing space and nothing more. All things being even [which is a rarity] the markets will kick off and up. I don't anticipate by much, but I do see a rise from here on and a strong one for the rest of the week.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Monday's had no strong indication, but two out of three charts did favour a rise. Tuesdays, moving avg' from 5 to 200 are all well below par which indicates a strong possibility of a rise; likewise with Bollinger and MACD indicators. In all [FOMC not taken into consideration], a rise.

Companies reporting:

Bodycote
British Energy
Cadbury [should be good]
Carpetright [warning signals here]
Civica
Lehman Brothers

None of the above or as a whole will shift the market.

Economic Data:

1915: US FOMC decision

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW ended on a negative but not an overly adverse low, so very little if any effect on the UK markets opening; economic data is the one to watch; charts are unanimous in a rise.

Early gut feeling: A rise.

Will I bet? Hesitant. Time has taught me to be patient even when charts clearly indicate a strong rise. The blessing is, I have some spare time tomorrow to watch the markets, so I'll be waiting in the wings until the FTSE clearly shows its true intention. In all, I believe that there's a strong possibility that the FTSE will hold back tomorrow and let rip on Wednesday. In which case, I'll wait until the market is close to closing and go a heavy Long.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

mark twain uk said:
hey, not all at the same time, where is everybody? busy making shed loads?

We all bought the dip this am and are just watching this straight trend with amazement !! :D :D

I keep raising my stop (bought at 10), now stop at 20 - xmas coming early!! But this 30 resistance now causing a problem. Also R1 today at 35, so think the party could be over, will defo close 'whatever' before the US numbers. :!: :!:

I'm watching for a close above 5531,which we have yet to do. The Fedspeak doesn't happen until ce soir,so keeping powder dry for tomorrow.

Windlesham1 said:
I'm watching for a close above 5531,which we have yet to do. The Fedspeak doesn't happen until ce soir,so keeping powder dry for tomorrow.

Yeap...a couple of longs that I have now closed....sidelined for now...but wondering about shorting the CAC40 @ 4700...

apples10 said:
We all bought the dip this am and are just watching this straight trend with amazement !! :D :D

I keep raising my stop (bought at 10), now stop at 20 - xmas coming early!! But this 30 resistance now causing a problem. Also R1 today at 35, so think the party could be over, will defo close 'whatever' before the US numbers. :!: :!:

Closed at 24 ahead of the figures. :D :D

Sorry about this all as its a little off-topic but how do you stop e-mail alerts whenever someone posts on this thread - I've changed the setting in my profile but it seems not to work retrospectively and I keep getting mails.!!!!

Can anyone help me out?