The FTSE

Quiet today?

I am going to nibble a long (again) here..stop at 5499. A break of 5500 would surely preceed a larger step down. Seems 5500 has been tested quite a few times this week.

Sorry trying to be cryptic with big RED letters

I am short and still looking for the numbers posted yesterday looks like it will be just before the close which would tie in with the expected Dow move

I will jump off if we go to 535 or at the close if we dont reach target

dc2000 said:
Sorry trying to be cryptic with big RED letters

I am short and still looking for the numbers posted yesterday looks like it will be just before the close which would tie in with the expected Dow move

I will jump off if we go to 535 or at the close if we dont reach target
Ah - now THERE'S a real coincidence - my stop is at exaxctly 10535 !

beware of hard stops! they usually are hit either exactly or within one tick, only for the price to go against you within seconds. I just had a nasty exampe of this with the boys at cmc, they screwed me on a short gold position by spiking out just enough to take me out and spiking down immediately after that. I am not sure whether to call them crooks or smart guys. I suppose they're both.

The FTSE Monday, 12th December 2005

Friday's results:

Open: 5531.

Close: 5517, down 13pts.

Range: 5504 - 5531.

On the Month: up 94pts. Too high by 20ish pts, but this can be smoothed out as the month progresses.

Last 5 trading days: down 11pts.

Dow: 10,778, up 23pts. It clipped 800 today and then dropped. In all fairness, the DOW's had a rough time since November 28th, when it reached a healthy, but somewhat overstretched, 10,932. I believe Tuesday will dictate whether it will rise or fall for the rest of the month.

Last 5 trading days: down 98pts.

News items of note:

HEMEL HEMPSTEAD (Reuters) - 'Explosions tore through a fuel depot north of London before dawn on Sunday, creating a huge tower of smoke and flame and seriously injuring two people in what police said appeared to be an accident.' - Not sure how the market will react this Monday, if at all.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - 'For the stock market, getting the stalled Santa Claus rally back on track this week will depend on the Federal Reserve's call on interest rates, retail sales and resurgent energy prices.
Another quarter-point rate increase is expected at Tuesday's Fed meeting. But investors are hoping the Fed will change its statement and indicate its long streak of rate increases will end soon.' - Judging by the DOW's performance of late I would say that a rate hike has already been factored in.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Friday's was undecided but did err towards a rise. Monday's, no strong indication but two out of three charts favour a rise.

Companies reporting:

LLOYDS TSB

Economic Data:

Note: FOMC on Tuesday

19:00 US Treasury Budget Nov Last -$57.9bn Forecast -$82.0bn {this is making me nervous!}

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW ended on a positive note which will add a slight smile to the FTSE’s early morning face; in general the charts favour a small rise; economic data is the one to watch.

Early gut feeling: a 60% chance of a small early rise.

Will I bet? I like Mondays. This year, twenty-six up days versus sixteen down. As I'm working tomorrow, I'm going with a small Long capped at a 12pt max profit.

The week ahead: Tuesday is the one to watch.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

mark twain uk said:
I did it at 539 but with the tightest stop loss, it may go down as well as up

Tad risky I think, you might get a few points but from here until the end of the year the trend looks to be up. 5500 has held after several attempts to break it, the oil refinery incident has not impacted the markets and there is going to be some end of the year performance to chase. Shorting season will open in Jan. Not biased either way but I am now looking to average in on the long side with a target of 5600. Expect 5550 to be the next level to be reached and held with support at 5520. The Nasdaq looks like it lead the major indices higher. Soon as the trend changes so will my stance!

that's what makes a market, different people trading with different expectations. If I get a few points I wouldn;t mind, but what I am hoping for is for the santa's rally in the US to flop spectacularly this week, in that case the ftse will get dragged down, so I am looking at possibly losing few points,or closing at B/E or cashing in on a fall in the US markets.

mark twain uk said:
that's what makes a market, different people trading with different expectations. If I get a few points I wouldn;t mind, but what I am hoping for is for the santa's rally in the US to flop spectacularly this week, in that case the ftse will get dragged down, so I am looking at possibly losing few points,or closing at B/E or cashing in on a fall in the US markets.

Yeap also a possible scenario! Worst case is neither scenario and no sustained move in either direction which makes for choppy trading. As we speak the FTSE has made a rather sharp reversal but still in the 5500-5550 trading range. Swings and roundabouts for now.

dc2000 said:
interesting and lets not forget option expiry
Hmmmm......November EDSP was at 5526 and the FTSE is trading fairly close to that level at the moment. Wonder if the big boys will be looking to scalp Call or Put sellers this month or whether they will be imbued with the Christmas spirit and let in stay in the 5500 - 5600 range !

5600 has such a nice ring to it and it is Christmas jingle bells etc.

Mark
I have no position on the FTSE at this moment and my light hearted message above is not meant as a recommendation to trade

it does not want to go down, short from 539 but stop moved at B/E, it got as close as 1 tick few minutes ago, looks like it wants to go north

mark twain uk said:
it does not want to go down, short from 539 but stop moved at B/E, it got as close as 1 tick few minutes ago, looks like it wants to go north

south it seems! thats my long stopped out