Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

Re: Meta Trader 4

OK, looking at their education video for placing a trade from a chart, right clicking on a chart is supposed to bring up a box whose first item is "Trading". That does not exist on my SLM MT4 demo platform. The top item is "Expert Advisors". This again suggests that something isn't quite right here.

How is it looking on other people's SLM MT4 demo platforms?
Same here, I think the order feature is disabled during the weekend.

Same here, I think the order feature is disabled during the weekend.

Thanks for that. Thought I was going nuts.

I know that some traditional SB firms let you fiddle with orders at weekends and others don't.

Mind you, you would think a demo platform would be relatively unrestricted.

Thanks for that. Thought I was going nuts.

I know that some traditional SB firms let you fiddle with orders at weekends and others don't.

Mind you, you would think a demo platform would be relatively unrestricted.
Yes the order feature is available at my live trading account at Activtrades. Changing the Market Watch window color is probably done at the administrated server side options. Activtrades have a pleasant green color. Send SLM an email about changing the unpleasant orange color in the market watch window. :)

Also, what does an order "volume" represent in this case? Normally it would be the number of lots, wouldn't it, but in SB we don't normally trade in lots, so is this the price per pip in pounds (or the unit of currency of the account)?
I think one first have to ask what kind of volume SLM present in the chart. Is it the real market volume (probably not) or is it the volume that goes through their own system? To have accurate information on this part you have to have a live feed linked to the exchange and instrument in question.

Last edited:

I think one first have to ask what kind of volume SLM present in the chart. Is it the real market volume (probably not) or is it the volume that goes through their own system? To have accurate information on this part you have to have a live feed linked to the exchange and instrument in question.

It is most likely just tick volume like other MT4's. That's what it looks like on the demo. Volume increases by a value of 1 for each tick move.

Didn't think any system gave true volume on FX, but will their MT4 be for trading futures, in which case it should work?

This is all a bit of a red-herring, surely? My question was about "volume" in the order window, which is clearly a way of defining the size of the trade. It says in "lots" in their education video (and various tutorials/help infos I've found on the web), but that would be for a standard trading platform, not spread-betting, where we are used to dealing in so many pounds (or pence) per pip.

Well, maybe they do use lots (like FXCM), and you just have to work out the appropriate fraction (or multiple) of a lot to get the appropriate desired stake value per pip.

It's just a coincidence that they happen to use the word "volume" here - they mean the size of the trade in this case.

I don't think it has anything to do with "volume" on the chart.

This is all a bit of a red-herring, surely? My question was about "volume" in the order window, which is clearly a way of defining the size of the trade. It says in "lots" in their education video (and various tutorials/help infos I've found on the web), but that would be for a standard trading platform, not spread-betting, where we are used to dealing in so many pounds (or pence) per pip.

Well, maybe they do use lots (like FXCM), and you just have to work out the appropriate fraction (or multiple) of a lot to get the appropriate desired stake value per pip.

It's just a coincidence that they happen to use the word "volume" here - they mean the size of the trade in this case.

I don't think it has anything to do with "volume" on the chart.
Yes sorry, I misunderstood your post.

I really don't get the fuss made by this thread, a new SB firm is born in this economic climate...and...? IMHO I wouldn't touch them/trust them with my money unitl they had a track record which someone else will have to establish for them without me...So what if they're trying to get MT4 up and running, not much different from standard software unless you're going to run scripts...but what about spreads, fills, reliability, how safe is your money, how established are they?

Hi. Thanks for all your comments.
With reference to 'Black Swan' I would say the following. I realise there are now quite a few Spread Betting providers. Some are mere white labels of established firms, so not much difference. We have tried to give people what they want. A lot of people over the years who like the MT4 platform for a variety of reasons said they would love to be able to use it for spread betting. So this is what we have done, as well as establishing it for FX and CFDs for those that do not want spread betting.
We have added as many markets as we can due to the limitations of MT4 and made our spreads hopefully some of the best in the market.
Our financing is also low and fair .... short the Dow or FTSE overnight with some of our competitors and see how much you get ripped off. There should be no charge at all !!
We are fully FSA registered and ALL clients funds are segregated and guaranteed up to £50k by the FSA. So your money is safe.
I appreciate it takes time to build a reputation, but the management team who have set this business up have been involved in spread betting for many years and thus do know what they are doing, unlike some of the so called competition out there.
We do appreciate any comments or feedback and will try to facilitate any suggestions.
Regards
SLM

Hi. Thanks for all your comments.
With reference to 'Black Swan' I would say the following. I realise there are now quite a few Spread Betting providers. Some are mere white labels of established firms, so not much difference. We have tried to give people what they want. A lot of people over the years who like the MT4 platform for a variety of reasons said they would love to be able to use it for spread betting. So this is what we have done, as well as establishing it for FX and CFDs for those that do not want spread betting.
We have added as many markets as we can due to the limitations of MT4 and made our spreads hopefully some of the best in the market.
Our financing is also low and fair .... short the Dow or FTSE overnight with some of our competitors and see how much you get ripped off. There should be no charge at all !!
We are fully FSA registered and ALL clients funds are segregated and guaranteed up to £50k by the FSA. So your money is safe.
I appreciate it takes time to build a reputation, but the management team who have set this business up have been involved in spread betting for many years and thus do know what they are doing, unlike some of the so called competition out there.
We do appreciate any comments or feedback and will try to facilitate any suggestions.
Regards
SLM

Good to see an official presence here!

As there seems to have been some confusion about your spreads, could you confirm what they are on main indices and FX pairs, please?

If you can get MT4 to work with SB it's a dream come true, but any plans for a free £100 top-up or credit to tempt a few of us to sign up?

As there seems to have been some confusion about your spreads, could you confirm what they are on main indices and FX pairs, please?

If you can get MT4 to work with SB it's a dream come true, but any plans for a free £100 top-up or credit to tempt a few of us to sign up?

Hi
Sorry for any confusion there may have been. I guess you always get a couple of Gremlins. All available markets and spreads can be seen on the Market Info Sheets available on the website/spread betting tab/markets. We are 1 pip on Eur/Usd , 2 pips on Gbp/Usd etc. Indices like UK100, Dax, Cac etc we are 1 pip when the cash market is open and 3 outside of those when just the futures market is open.
With regards to promotions, we hope to be offering something in a few weeks.
Regards
SLM

On the face of it no argument, however, spreads, fills, security, reputation...etc..etc..

Hi
Sorry for any confusion there may have been. I guess you always get a couple of Gremlins. All available markets and spreads can be seen on the Market Info Sheets available on the website/spread betting tab/markets. We are 1 pip on Eur/Usd , 2 pips on Gbp/Usd etc. Indices like UK100, Dax, Cac etc we are 1 pip when the cash market is open and 3 outside of those when just the futures market is open.
With regards to promotions, we hope to be offering something in a few weeks.
Regards
SLM

Thanks. Pity Dow/Ym isn't 1pt, as per a couple of the opposition.

Hi. Well I know who you are refering to. I think they did that as a 'loss leader' and to grab a few headlines along the way. Good luck to them too. I am not going to say we will never do that, but we have no plans to at the moment. The UK100 is one thing, but with Wall Street 30, you are open to abuse. The opposition's trading platform that you are refering to can be controlled and regulated far more than MT4 can.
Regards SLM

Did some research on your company and MD. Checks out. Being FSA regulated in the current climate is a very good thing. Not one to believe the hype but people can act irrationally when the news is bad!
I will be testing your platform in the coming weeks.
Good to see you here.

Hi. Well I know who you are refering to. I think they did that as a 'loss leader' and to grab a few headlines along the way. Good luck to them too. I am not going to say we will never do that, but we have no plans to at the moment. The UK100 is one thing, but with Wall Street 30, you are open to abuse. The opposition's trading platform that you are refering to can be controlled and regulated far more than MT4 can.
Regards SLM

First post on this forum so Hi all.

I've downloaded the SML demo platform but it seems that the chart data on certain time frames is "broken". I've tried going into the history centre and deleting it to no avail.
Has anyone else experirenced this?

So far the offering here looks impressive, I'd like to see a greater number of comodities on offers, such as natural gas. Is there any plan to offer these in the future.

Hi Rubles
The charts on MT4 are a nightmare to maintain. FX is simple. But everthing else presents problems, but they should be OK. May I ask which ones you are having issues with and I will investigate.

With regards to other markets, we will certainly be trying to add other markets. We are limited to the total number of markets that you can put on MT4 so if we get enough interest in something we will try and add it. I would like to add Natural Gas in any case, so this is certainly on the list to be added soon I hope.

Regards
SLM

To those who got the wrong end of the stick regarding my point about volume in the order window, apologies likewise. I was probably not as clear I as might have been.

I had a helpful reply from SLM the other day, which I meant to post sooner:

If you go onto our website and click on the ‘Spread Betting’ tab then on ‘Markets’ you can view out Market Information Sheets which shows
you all the markets available on our Live platform.

It also shows you that the lot size (volume) for Spread Betting is 1
LOT = £1 per tick. So you could do 0.1 lots which is equal to 10pence per tick.

It has not been easy to get Spread Betting on to MT4, but we have
managed it, but there are certain restrictions which do not make
things quite as user friendly as one would like.

With regards to the colour of the Demo, I know what you mean. But, we
chose something reasonably disgusting looking so that there could
NEVER be any confusion for anyone about if they were using their Demo
account or a Live account.

The Demo account is just meant to be so people can try out the system
and see how it works, which is why we only have a handful of markets on it.
We hope people will apply for a Live account, and we have made the
minimum trade size of 10 pence one of the smallest in the industry.

That said, I will discuss the issue of colour with my colleagues, and
we might be able to find something a little better.

If you have any further question then please do not hesitate to get in
touch.

One the markets had opened, I realised that the foreground text in the "Market Watch" had been "greyed out" during the market close period. Once the market was open, it was black, which was much more legible.

Last edited: