Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

Re: Meta Trader 4

I have a live spread bet trading account and so far very pleased.-a refreshing change. Heaps more instruments on live than demo. Hope it continues.

Hi tommac.

Glad to hear so far you are having a good experience.

How long have you been with them?

Any problems with reqoutes or slippage?

Jon

Only a week so far but several trades no problems to report--I like to trade off graphs and the MT4 layout suits me fine. Some sensible spreads on equities too.

Only a week so far but several trades no problems to report--I like to trade off graphs and the MT4 layout suits me fine. Some sensible spreads on equities too.

Thanks tommac.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

I'm a big MT4 fan myself and if no bad news comes forward about them I think I will be moving over to SLM.

Jon

I noticed they increased the spread from 2 point spread yesterday to 4 point spread today on the Dow. This is not a very good sign, is it the same on a live trading account?

I noticed they increased the spread from 2 point spread yesterday to 4 point spread today on the Dow. This is not a very good sign, is it the same on a live trading account?

If it's 4pt they might as well give up now, when 2pt is common and City Index is still doing 1pt.

Wonder is there's going to be a tempting account opening offer?

Sent them an email about this this morning, as usual prompt reply with an appology they are ironing out a few technical bits and spread has been reset to 2 in market hours and 3 out of.

Jon.

Sent them an email about this this morning, as usual prompt reply with an appology they are ironing out a few technical bits and spread has been reset to 2 in market hours and 3 out of.

Jon.
Yes very good, maybe I was a little bit hasty complaining about this company. I have sent them a few email myself, and as you say, a prompt reply, very good indeed. I hope a company representative will join the forum. They will for sure create quite a buzz with their SB MT4 platform service. Interesting to see how well they perform in the long run.

It should give the competition something to think about.

A firm with the resources of, say, IG, could surely roll out an MT4 platform?

It should give the competition something to think about.

A firm with the resources of, say, IG, could surely roll out an MT4 platform?

They all seem to reluctant to use MT4, not sure why but now someone has taken the plunge it may make others sit up and think.

They all seem to reluctant to use MT4, not sure why but now someone has taken the plunge it may make others sit up and think.
Somebody said MT4 is not a suitable platform for stocks, but I actually don't know.

Somebody said MT4 is not a suitable platform for stocks, but I actually don't know.

You would think that price is price and it wouldn't make much difference, but then I don't know how it all works anyway, just know I am a fan of mt4.

@Gle: Do you mind if I ask what sort of things your scripts do?

Don't worry, I am not after your code or your trading secrets :) Just trying to get an idea of the scope.

I have only used MT4 (ages ago) on demo versions of "real" trading platforms, and then only for various indicators (those provided plus a few custom ones). Although I used to be a programmer (and enjoyed it), once I had decided that most indicators were not for me, I decided not to waste energy trying to program them, and concentrate on the actual trading and market knowledge. Therefore, I never got into things like automated trade opening or management - since I was never going to trade on the real platform (I only spread bet and want to stay that way), there didn't seem much point in learning it.

Now there is the possibility in spread betting though, the world may have changed. While I will never be a fan of fully automated trading (not for mere mortals anyway - different if you are a quant), I do think there could be a place for automation as an adjunct to intelligent manual trading. I suppose the obvious thing (apart from indicators, if used) would be customised alerts, and customised trailing stops.

Any comments?

@Gle: Do you mind if I ask what sort of things your scripts do?

Don't worry, I am not after your code or your trading secrets :) Just trying to get an idea of the scope.

I have only used MT4 (ages ago) on demo versions of "real" trading platforms, and then only for various indicators (those provided plus a few custom ones). Although I used to be a programmer (and enjoyed it), once I had decided that most indicators were not for me, I decided not to waste energy trying to program them, and concentrate on the actual trading and market knowledge. Therefore, I never got into things like automated trade opening or management - since I was never going to trade on the real platform (I only spread bet and want to stay that way), there didn't seem much point in learning it.

Now there is the possibility in spread betting though, the world may have changed. While I will never be a fan of fully automated trading (not for mere mortals anyway - different if you are a quant), I do think there could be a place for automation as an adjunct to intelligent manual trading. I suppose the obvious thing (apart from indicators, if used) would be customised alerts, and customised trailing stops.

Any comments?
No big secrets here, just the same scripts you are talking about. simple order scripts with hotkeys for the keypad (executed by a macro program). For instance, market and OCO orders with stop loss and a trailing stop loss, no big deal really. The same with me, I don't use the indicators either, beside the Signal bars v7 indicator. My charts are very clean to say the least.

Isn't it because they can't intercept scalpers with a direct price feed to MT4?!
No this isn't the case. There are administrative tools available from which you can manipulate the Mt4 price feed. There were a lot of talk about this possibility of manipulation on the MT4 platform, a year or so on the Forexfactory discussion forum.

No this isn't the case. There are administrative tools available from which you can manipulate the Mt4 price feed. There were a lot of talk about this possibility of manipulation on the MT4 platform, a year or so on the Forexfactory discussion forum.

Interesting, thanks, gle. I'd always assumed that was why ODL gave up on it before.

Some of you seem to be using the demo platform successfully, but I am having problems with it. I know I am rusty (to say the least) with MT4, but some basic things don't seem to be working.

Also, I know it is out of market hours, but I should be able to set up a pending order shouldn't I, or at least get as far as submitting it, if only to be told to wait until the market opens.

However, i I try to open a new order, there is no list of instruments in the pull-down menu from which to choose one, and you can't type one in.

This is if I open it by right click on a Market Watch entry, right-click on a chart, or click the New Order button.

If I double-click on a Market Watch item, that is supposed to bring up an order ticket isn't it? (according to some help info I found on the web anyway), but that doesn't bring up anything.

A small point perhaps, but is it possible to change background or foreground colours on the Market Watch? I am finding their choice fairly illegible. (I know how to change colours on charts, but there doesn't seem to be anything like that for Market Watch).

Also, what does an order "volume" represent in this case? Normally it would be the number of lots, wouldn't it, but in SB we don't normally trade in lots, so is this the price per pip in pounds (or the unit of currency of the account)?

EDIT: Correction: there isn't an Order Open option on right click on chart....I was mis-remembering that; sorry.

Last edited:

OK, looking at their education video for placing a trade from a chart, right clicking on a chart is supposed to bring up a box whose first item is "Trading". That does not exist on my SLM MT4 demo platform. The top item is "Expert Advisors". This again suggests that something isn't quite right here.

How is it looking on other people's SLM MT4 demo platforms?