Shall We All Just Close Our Spread Bet Accounts??

Who can answer that? Ask proper questions. What you need to ask is how many Day traders and scalpers actually spread bet in comparison to DMA, and how many traders swing trade in comparison to DMA/Shares traders.

I will take a stab. I would guess there are considerably more successful DMA traders who day trade and infact make more money than spread bet day traders.

I know quite a few swing traders who buy shares and options over spread bets with their rolling day interest charges and real time draw down problems.
So far as I know the percentage is about the same, not easier trading the real market. Not more than 5%-10% successful traders on both. It is a hard game that is for sure.:)

Yes, 30 points slip at £100pp on a news spike where they filled before, the good times are gone.
If you trade SB with this kind of stake, you have in my opinion not chosen the right market. There is a time trading SB and another time trading DMA. This stake is definitely more suited for DMA.

You must have a huge account, that is if you apply proper Money Management.:)

Yes, 30 points slip at £100pp on a news spike where they filled before, the good times are gone.

A 'news spike where they filled before' doesn't really mean much because the actual sequence of trades/prices will be different every time, even if the apparent size of the spike is the same.

If you're trading £100pp over news, losing £3k must be a minor event, so I can't quite understand why why you're still so sore about it.

If you trade SB with this kind of stake, you have in my opinion not chosen the right market. There is a time trading SB and another time trading DMA. This stake is definitely more suited for DMA.

You must have a huge account, that is if you apply proper Money Management.:)

Why would the size of the stake matter in SB? It would definitely 'matter' in DMA due to liquidity concerns but SB markets have no liquidity, they are basically a bet with a bookie. Unless you are suggesting that the greater the stake the more chance a SB would 'rip-you-off' ?

Why would the size of the stake matter in SB? It would definitely 'matter' in DMA due to liquidity concerns but SB markets have no liquidity, they are basically a bet with a bookie. Unless you are suggesting that the greater the stake the more chance a SB would 'rip-you-off' ?
It is quite clear, they must have time to hedge this kind of stake. If one can't accept this kind of obvious fact one should definitely stay off SB. As I said earlier, this stake is more suited for DMA.

A 'news spike where they filled before' doesn't really mean much because the actual sequence of trades/prices will be different every time, even if the apparent size of the spike is the same.

If you're trading £100pp over news, losing £3k must be a minor event, so I can't quite understand why why you're still so sore about it.

Whatever.

So far as I know the percentage is about the same, not easier trading the real market. Not more than 5%-10% successful traders on both. It is a hard game that is for sure.:)

I need to see your source. You get filled easier in the real market, but you pay tax :(

Over news? Are you sure about that?
Yes could be, but with a market order he might encounter some slippage.:) He probaly done it a few times, very risky and this time he got hurt really bad, 100pp during news, is it real?

Yes could be, but with a market order he might encounter some slippage.:) He probaly done it a few times, very risky and this time he got hurt really bad, 100pp during news, is it real?

LOL, ye that must be it, I haven't a clue, we will go with that if it sits better with you both ;)

It is quite clear, they must have time to hedge this kind of stake. If one can't accept this kind of obvious fact one should definitely stay off SB. As I said earlier, this stake is more suited for DMA.

Fair point about the hedge, it would only be sensible business practice for a SB to hedge this amount of risk. I agree one should definitely stay off SB but I would go so far as to say under virtually any circumstances unless you are just 'mucking' about. I can't understand why anyone who is serious about trading would want to handicap themselves by trading against a bookie.

Never trade more than 1% of your account on any trade.

Really Truth Seeker, 1% ?! How on earth do you plan on ever making substantial returns with this minimal amount of exposure? A 10% profit on a trade would amount to just a 0.1% increase in your capital.

Fair point about the hedge, it would only be sensible business practice for a SB to hedge this amount of risk. I agree one should definitely stay off SB but I would go so far as to say under virtually any circumstances unless you are just 'mucking' about. I can't understand why anyone who is serious about trading would want to handicap themselves by trading against a bookie.
I said with this kind of stake it is sensible to stay away from SB. Otherwise no problem at all.:)

Really Truth Seeker, 1% ?! How on earth do you plan on ever making substantial returns with this minimal amount of exposure? A 10% profit on a trade would amount to just a 0.1% increase in your capital.

No, go for 100% and have a 50%+ chance of blowing your account on every trade.:)

I said with this kind of stake it is sensible to stay away from SB. Otherwise no problem at all.:)

Do you mean you see no disadvantage trading with an SB over DMA with two trades of equal size and risk, below this size of trade?